1/48 Mig-29AS - Slovakian Air Force. Finished 30/6

DaveJL

Been ploughing away at this for the last week or so. Generally most things were ok. Except for the intakes. They really are a nightmare. A lot of dry fitting, filling and sanding is needed. I found that the best way to get the rear sections to sit properly is to remove all the locating pins. Heavy duty rubber bands were required to get them to adhere properly. Once they had dried though, some filling and sanding later, all was well. But they do take a lot of work, so be warned. I've also worked out that the exhausts can be fitted after painting, which helps. I'd avoid fitting the full engine, as this can't be seen anyway.

This is the bit you want, bin the rest:

38387411132_034591a581_b.jpg

On my next build, I'm going to fit the intakes before the tail fins - hopefully this will make things a bit easier. Anyway, once the filler was sorted, I added the flaps (with an ever so slight dip in them), pylons and other odds and ends. Just about ready for masking and priming:

38362947376_63ec55d73e_b.jpg

24547585248_652f1c2484_b.jpg

38362928106_08bba8d66a_b.jpg

Note the antennae behind the cockpit - part of the donation made by the Academy kit.

37704345434_9c91766ca5_b.jpg

24547572378_2494ce0637_b.jpg

Some panel lines have been lost, but these are mainly on the inside of the intake trunks, which will be hidden by the addition of the fuel tank.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

Coming together well. Thanks for the advice about the intakes, I will take note when I get round to building mine. Like you I do not see the point of a whole engine when the only thing that can be done with it is to stick it inside the fuselage so that it can not be seen when the model is finished.

56 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Coming together well. Thanks for the advice about the intakes, I will take note when I get round to building mine. Like you I do not see the point of a whole engine when the only thing that can be done with it is to stick it inside the fuselage so that it can not be seen when the model is finished.

Thanks mate. I think the full engines are a waste of time on most kits, unless they can be seen (if the intake ramps were open on this one for example). The detail on them is nice, but saves a lot of heartache leaving them out.

More done. Majority of painting is now complete:

38387404322_9e8eb05d06_b.jpg

37704326184_66c20ffc34_b.jpg

37704322394_5d69db0695_b.jpg

Airframe is overall Model Master light ghost grey. Still have the missiles, landing gear and other ancillaries to paint. Hoping to get it glossed first thing in the morning and the decals on tomorrow afternoon.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

On 19/06/2017 at 9:31 PM, Valkyrie said:

Nice super neat work! Very impressive, il be tuning in tomorrow too. 

Thanks mate.

Got the gloss on first thing this morning (nothing like making the most of a day off!) Once dried, I started the decalling. Anad what a job it was. A lot of cutting, fettling, creative painting and the rest was needed to get them to fit. The decals the movable surfaces were cut out individually and then applied. The biggest pain were the tail fins. The decals themselves were excellent, no rips or tears occurred which was a godsend. It's not perfect by any means, but i'm happy enough. Some edges still need trimmed a touch.

38418700091_7a0d344db3_b.jpg

38387386142_010e6f5853_b.jpg

24547533938_07cfdf7184_b.jpg

24547523528_907695fb19_b.jpg

FOD covers also attached. The fit of the decals makes me wonder how incorrect the dimensions of the Academy kit are, as one would like to assume the GWH kit is somewhat more accurate!

Everything has been sealed in with a top coat of gloss and will be left a few days to dry fully. Hoping to get the missiles etc painted at the weekend, along with getting a panel line wash applied.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Would you do a digital decal again on another as or was this tough to do and never again?

Indeed I would, in-fact I have one planned, however i would prefer to use paint masks as opposed to large decals.

• Like 1

Digital decals for a newbie..yours do look good and tempted to give it a shot..

looking forward to seeing this one completed, I know it's going to look great 

The  job you did on the Czech camo MiG-21 with the decals was pretty sensational too so I guess if you can fire out work like that you ain't gonna be put off by much. Paint mask be easier and quicker too. 

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Digital decals for a newbie..yours do look good and tempted to give it a shot..

looking forward to seeing this one completed, I know it's going to look great 

If you're planning on doing one of these with the decals, I would recommend you just use the Academy kit as they'll fit a heck of a lot better!

20 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

The  job you did on the Czech camo MiG-21 with the decals was pretty sensational too so I guess if you can fire out work like that you ain't gonna be put off by much. Paint mask be easier and quicker too. 

Thanks mate. Mask would be preferable!

7 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Looks terrific Dave with the digital camo in place :thumbsup:  and not an easy task to place the decals so neatly.

Cheers, Peter

Cheers Peter. It certainly wasn't easy. Think it was the second longest decalling session i've ever had -  a shade under 5 hours!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 1:28 PM, DaveJL said:

If you're planning on doing one of these with the decals, I would recommend you just use the Academy kit as they'll fit a heck of a lot better!

Thanks mate. Mask would be preferable!

Cheers Peter. It certainly wasn't easy. Think it was the second longest decalling session i've ever had -  a shade under 5 hours!

Very nice work. I have built the SMT from GWH and it was a nice kit. GWH brought us a VERY accurate example of the Mig-29, eons ahead of the Minicraft sample which I have also built. My only complaint is the intake seam on the GWH kit. Those intakes are a pain to properly glue, sand and fit....clamp time for certain. Like you, I ended up using intake covers. Very cool build on your example. I never knew that the "bird slicers" were added to any Mig-29 in NATO service.

6 hours ago, Blue_Centurion said:

Very nice work. I have built the SMT from GWH and it was a nice kit. GWH brought us a VERY accurate example of the Mig-29, eons ahead of the Minicraft sample which I have also built. My only complaint is the intake seam on the GWH kit. Those intakes are a pain to properly glue, sand and fit....clamp time for certain. Like you, I ended up using intake covers. Very cool build on your example. I never knew that the "bird slicers" were added to any Mig-29 in NATO service.

Thanks Mate. The intakes are really the only tricky part of the kit. The detail is very nice indeed and I agree that it's leaps and bounds above the Academy kit.

As far as I know, the Slovakian jets received the 4 'bird slicers' and the upgraded Polish jets got 2, along with other modifications of course.

More done over the weekend. Wash on:

26642286589_c629415866_b.jpg

38387351802_0ebf067ffd_b.jpg

Excess was then removed after 40 minutes. Once that was done, I cracked on and added the fuel tank,landing gear, stabs, ejection seat, pitot tube, remains antennae and the IRST:

26642256569_be17eda8a7_b.jpg

26642249869_9c590c39f7_b.jpg

24547473258_8a67e3c32b_b.jpg

For some reason my kit is missing the extra wicks that are required for the stabs. Wheels are now on and will be left to cure overnight. A note on the main landing gear, once again the opposite applies to what's shown in the instructions, left is right, right is left:

24547465728_32eeecf5ca_b.jpg

Will hopefully get the missiles finished tomorrow and add the HUD, which is one of those fiddly etch affairs.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Excellent, looks great Dave, what do you use for your wash and how do you get it off? This is something I need to learn and try...

thanks

22 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Excellent, looks great Dave, what do you use for your wash and how do you get it off? This is something I need to learn and try...

thanks

Great work Dave. Would also like to know about the wash as when ever I have tried this stuff it either never comes off or ends up under decals and the such like even though I have applied at least 2 coats of Klear.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Thanks chaps.

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

thanks

42 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Great work Dave. Would also like to know about the wash as when ever I have tried this stuff it either never comes off or ends up under decals and the such like even though I have applied at least 2 coats of Klear.

Gents, I use Flory Models 'dark wash.' Add a small drop of washing up liquid to your bottle and shake. Large brush and just coat the entire airframe. Any build ups, for example along the intake/fuselage join, wipe off with a clean brush. Leave the wash to settle for at least 30 minutes. The excess on the large areas is wiped off with kitchen towels, in the direction of the airflow. Small areas are then cleaned up with cotton buds. I use vallejo gloss and it always comes off. I usually give 3 coats just to be sure. 

• Like 2