1/48 Mig-21MF - Czech AF, 1998. Update 24/05

DaveJL

Hello all,

I've been looking forward to this GB for some time and having recently been to both the Czech Republic and Slovakia, i've decided to build 2 jets from those nations' air forces. First up, a 1/48 Eduard Mig-21MF from the Czech Air Force in 1998, finished in the superb looking splinter scheme:

Mig21MF_7701_CzechAF_980723.jpg

(net image)

Kit:

26664675169_41bed79ce7_b.jpg

26664666329_d03eb18552_b.jpg

Extras:

26664658849_8d8032f594_b.jpg

Eduard cockpit, Syhart decals and Pavla seat. This is only my second Mig-21, first Eduard Mig-21 and first Mig in about 5 years!

Dave

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey Dave that's quick work! And good too!

Looks like you will have time for a few more at this rate.

Cheers!

Romanian and Croatian possibly. I do have a Tu-22 sitting here though… :lol:

• Like 2

Jeez Louise your not hanging about! That AKAN paint is lovely stuff, even the little bottles are special. Mighty expensive though. Keep this rate us yes and you can build a few! I fancy a 21 at some point too so although you make this look easy il wait and see how it comes along. Great quick quality work

14 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Wow that is quick!

how come the radome is cream? Resin? 

Looks cream in the pictures but it's light grey, the colour the airframe will be. My mixing of shades maybe isn't enough to get the correct tone for the base colour - more white required!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Base coat almost looks white in this picture:

13462_1043704614.jpg

(net image) 

Definitely requires more mixing!

What a magnificent plane, scheme and country! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Made a start today and the kit just fell together. Cockpit first. I ordered a bottle of Akan Emerald Green and it appears to be a great match for the cockpit colour:

Lovely kit so far!  I'm hopeful I may enter another one, along with the MIG-29! More during the week ahead.

Dave

Nice progress Dave. I assume the red stuff in the nose cone is some weight. If not, you better add some.

At this rate, you will build another 20 MiG-21 in this GB :D

Cheers, Peter

5 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Nice progress Dave. I assume the red stuff in the nose cone is some weight. If not, you better add some.

At this rate, you will build another 20 MiG-21 in this GB :D

Cheers, Peter

Yes mate, plasticine as a weight.

Hoping at least another one along with the Mig-29!

As usual your quickness and standard of build show through. As others have already said that small pot of paint for the cockpit does seem to do the trick, may have to get myself one from somewhere.

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

As usual your quickness and standard of build show through. As others have already said that small pot of paint for the cockpit does seem to do the trick, may have to get myself one from somewhere.

Thanks mate. The paint is easy enough to get off ebay.

More done over the last few days and the kit is just about ready for masking and priming. I had a bit of trouble with the wing root - a gap appeared but this was cured with some liquid cement applied to the join. A small bit of filler was required to the join at the rear of the centre section of the wings on the lower fuselage. My fault as opposed to the kits.

IMG_3186_zpsjuy5mfjk.jpg

IMG_3187_zpsbknral7d.jpg

IMG_3188_zpsmce6atu2.jpg

A few small areas to clean up and some photo etched parts to add - then masking and priming.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 4