Airfix Westland Whirlwind

I couldn't tell how old this kit was, but I'd guess 60s or 70s...as it was in a bag with a header.

I added a seat, instrument panel, control stick, false structure to the fuselage interior and the u/c doors.  I also used better wheels than what came in the kit.

Painted in MM enamels all national markings are replacements from the spares bin.  Only the side codes were usable from the original sheet.  Each one was cut out individually and gently applied.  No setting solution was applied because it causes old Airfix 'cals to curl up.  I couldn't take that chance.  I HAD to use these side codes for this project.

The antenna wire is .005 Ethicon stainless steel.  This is model #16 for the year. I hope it passes muster.

IMG_1941_zpsi1eg6ux4.jpg

IMG_1940_zpsoqaylo3k.jpg

IMG_1939_zpspnzkt84b.jpg

IMG_1938_zpssaodkdwo.jpg

• Like 8

That is superb Les, I had to look very hard to see which Airfix Whirlwind you have built.....lovely job on the original one there.

Airfix retooled the Whirlwind in the 1970s......after seeing yours I think I must build mine which is the 1970s one.

Adrian

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments and Airfix history lesson.  I have a couple more "ancient" Airfix kits in the stash.  The only thing deterring me from building them is the decals.  The 'cals in these kits are totally unusable.