Difference in details Swift Mk.7 v.s. Swift FR. 5?

Aardvark

Hi, all!

In what a difference on fine details between the Swift Mk.7 and the Swift FR. 5?

It seemed to me that on some photos a nose wheel the  Swift Mk.7 is more than a nose wheel at the Swift FR.5. Whether so it? 

What else small distinctions on fine details between the Swift Mk.7 and the Swift FR. 5?

B.R.

Serge

Where do you want to start?  The Mk. 7 had a longer nose to accommodate radar for the Fairey Fireflash AAM and extended wingtips for the same reason.  Fireflash was a beam-rider, powered by two rocket motors which accelerated the warhead "dart" until they burned out and were discarded.  It required the parent aircraft's radar to illuminate the target until the unpowered "dart" containing the warhead was close enough to the target to allow the proximity fuse to do its thing.

My Swift references aren't handy at the moment but try googling it and you should be able to get some more info.  A2Zee    do a 1/72nd conversion to turn the Airfix FR. 5 into an F. 7 if you're interested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Where do you want to start?  The Mk. 7 had a longer nose to accommodate radar for the Fairey Fireflash AAM and extended wingtips for the same reason.  Fireflash was a beam-rider, powered by two rocket motors which accelerated the warhead "dart" until they burned out and were discarded.  It required the parent aircraft's radar to illuminate the target until the unpowered "dart" containing the warhead was close enough to the target to allow the proximity fuse to do its thing.

My Swift references aren't handy at the moment but try googling it and you should be able to get some more info.  A2Zee    do a 1/72nd conversion to turn the Airfix FR. 5 into an F. 7 if you're interested.

stever219

I am not interested in the main distinctions, I about them as you see on a photo - is perfectly informed:

20170410_202851.jpg

!!!

😉😊😎

I am interested in small differences!

Such as possible distinctions in nose wheels (?), a possible difference in an air inlet under the stabilizer, near a nozzle, etc.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

To be honest I'd not even noticed a difference in the nose wheels on the Mks. 5 & 7; you may well have to do some image trawling at least, or see if you can find a copy of "Swift Justice" by Nigel Walpole or the Guideline Publications "Warpaint" on the Swift.

How are you finding the conversion kit?  I have those for the Mks. 2 and 4 but haven't started either yet.  If you've not already found out the nose wheel bay needs some trimming or sanding to fit properly (mine on the FR. 5 certainly did!).

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

To be honest I'd not even noticed a difference in the nose wheels on the Mks. 5 & 7; you may well have to do some image trawling at least, or see if you can find a copy of "Swift Justice" by Nigel Walpole or the Guideline Publications "Warpaint" on the Swift.

How are you finding the conversion kit?  I have those for the Mks. 2 and 4 but haven't started either yet.  If you've not already found out the nose wheel bay needs some trimming or sanding to fit properly (mine on the FR. 5 certainly did!).

2017-04-15_05.26.09.jpg

I don't know, but as on me, a nose wheel Swift 7 (above) differs from a nose wheel Swift FR5 (below). Or it is optical illusion and my imagination?

B.R.

Serge

Looking at those two photos alone I'd say that you're right and there is a difference: look at the rims.  That on the 5 appears thicker n relation to overall diameter (wheel and tyre together) and wheel diameter alone.  I'd suggest that both are period photos and not more recent images of restored and/or modified airframes so should be authentic.  

Bear in mind though that at least one of the 7s was used for wet runway braking and anti-skid braking trials so probably had different wheels for that reason alone, so you may need to tie down the particular airframe in your photo.  The tyre on the 7 does appear to have a creep mark painted on it at about the 5 o'clock position in your photo but image quality on my screen (and my eyes)  isn't brilliant.