CMR 1/72 Hawker Nimrod Mk. II - completed

51 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Hi Timmas, I've worked on a few resin kits and parts and have used all three protection methods. For the small parts, it's wet'n'dry with water, sawing with a mask and big sanding jobs in my extractor.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I'm expecting to do some sanding so will take the precautions :snorkle:

Hi guys, you may call me careless, but it is wet sanding as a rule, and more or less nothing else for me. The worst dust is produced while sawing off the moulding blocks anyway, and this is usually just a small part of the total modelling time. I am happy I finish two-three models per year, and I counted in the morning - just six of them were full resin. Add some aftermarket parts for the rest of my kits and that's all.

So altogether I think I absorb far more carcinogens when walking in the city centre during rush hour;)

Patrik

• Like 3

This is looking good Patrik - just noticed it and will follow with interest.

They do look good in Danish markings. Just after the CMR Mk I came out I needed a Mk II for a display. I did a simple conversion, mainly sweeping the wings.

nimrod_1

I think CMR were inspired to continue on and do the Mk II.

• Like 6

Inspiring result Ed, thank you for the post.

Below the biplane under construction. Only after carefully mounting the kit in the jig I noticed that no matter how hard I tried I would never get the upper wing right using the interplane struts as supplied with the kit (they were too short). So following some contemplation I sacrificed the struts from one of the (four) A-Model Furies from my stash. And then I spent two happy hours trimming them to the right length, because they were a wee bit longer than needed. Sometimes I fully understand our fellow modellers who go deaf right after the word "biplane" has been mentioned.

P9160005.jpg

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Patrik said:

Sometimes I fully understand our fellow modellers who go deaf right after the word "biplane" has been mentioned.

Having just completed a Sopwith Triplane in 1/72, with rigging, I agree. I think 'biplanes' require a certain skill set and a lot of patience but I think it's all worthwhile in the end. Carry on the good work Patrik.

Stuart

• Like 2

Struts in place. I thought first that I would be able to use the midsection struts from the kit, but in the end it was again the poor Fury from the stash.

P9230019.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/18/2017 at 12:35 AM, Patrik said:

I noticed that no matter how hard I tried I would never get the upper wing right using the interplane struts as supplied with the kit (they were too short).

It was a fair while ago that I did mine but I vaguely remember having to replace some struts with Contrail strut material. Yours is looking really good. I'm now sure some manufacturer will look at yours (and mine) and do an injection kit!

You might be able to find some strut material and re-make a Fury set if you have several as templates.

I'm following with interest as i do have another one somewhere.

I have read the full thread now. You have made this CMT Nimrod into a very nice model.

Thank you for such good photographs of detail, the fuel pipes for example. 

I have an Vac form kit of the Nimrod, including some strut material. I think your build may make me brave enough to try it :).

With regards

Pers

You are so kind to me. I would gladly post the progress more often here, unfortunately my working duties do not allow for that much modelling time.

With the main paint job completed, I started adding the details, first on the underside. And as my Nikon is back from service after one and half month (just one authorized warranty service available in whole country) , I hope the photos will improve either.

20171008_DSC_0008.jpg

• Like 7

Time to solve the upper wing decal problem indicated in the first post ...

20171013_DSC_0010.jpg

... just like that. I am afraid quite a few measurements and some dry fitting will be inevitable.

20171013_DSC_0013.jpg

• Like 1

The upper wing marking under construction. The reason why it has not been finished yet is that I managed to tear two out of the seven diamonds today and of course also that I do not want to spoil too much from the RFI;). So I kept the last remaining diamond as pattern and I will continue tomorrow.

20171014_DSC_0019.jpg

And as I wanted to avoid bad surprises while placing the fuselage chevron decals, I made the template below to check their shape. And yes - no big surprise - some trimming is indeed necessary, so I will better do it in advance. Wet decals are not easy to cut without damage and the chevron will be much harder to replace as the diamonds above. See you in RFI.

20171014_DSC_0025.jpg

• Like 2

On 11.09.2017 at 2:22 PM, Ed Russell said:

This is looking good Patrik - just noticed it and will follow with interest.

They do look good in Danish markings. Just after the CMR Mk I came out I needed a Mk II for a display. I did a simple conversion, mainly sweeping the wings.

Ed, Please consider presenting on Ready for Inspection - more people will see

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

• 2 years later...