Spitfire P9374 Leaving To The US

Jimbobtheflimbob

Very sad ,but it has always been a two way street. The thing that bothers me more is how many of our stock of airworthy jets that might be leaving us. If I am not mistaken both the T7 and NF11 are on their way to the state's:mellow:

Well it is always a pity when one dissapears to the states but don't forget that the americans don't own a Hawk75 or P36C as these radial engined hawks are uniqeu and a joy to see them fly.

What i do like is that you can always expect something different in the scene with those changes and i enjoyed this spit a few times at Duxford.

Edited by janneman36
grammar

Don't forget that it was a philanthropic American that financed the rebuild/reconstruction of this Spitfire and that he donated another one to the IWM.

It's always sad when something gets exported, but I take a long term view on these things. There is always something lurking in the wings to surprise and delight.

Trevor

• Like 3

Perhaps the owners of the Hawk 75 would like to show it a little further away from Duxford, then it can bring joy into more hearts. Of course that is reliant on it being booked by show organisers, and here is another problem.

A thriving warbird industry is reliant on a thriving airshow industry, and as well as the knocks it has taken in the last couple of years regulation-wise, it has become reliant on a few select acts such as the Vulcan or the Red Arrows to draw the crowds. Military support for airshows has slumped, and combined with new regulations, rocketing insurance premiums and other costs and the seemingly never-ending reviews, it is in danger of falling apart.

And if that happens, while we may still have the skills to preserve and rebuild these aircraft, it won't be on behalf of British owners.

• Like 2