early British tanks to cross off the list - updated plus Bronco

JackG

Brilliant,....always wanted to model one of these,.....I just hope that it has the option of rubber tracks and not just those link and length things,.... which are putting me off building the Bronco A13.

Cheers

Tony

I did wonder if Gecko were going to do the regular A10 cruiser - I'm in the market for one of them!B)

Hopefully Brono will do a reissue of their British A13's based on the more accurate Beutepanzer boxing. They fluffed the engine deck in the earlier kits.

Mike.

5 hours ago, MikeR said:

I did wonder if Gecko were going to do the regular A10 cruiser - I'm in the market for one of them!B)

Hopefully Brono will do a reissue of their British A13's based on the more accurate Beutepanzer boxing. They fluffed the engine deck in the earlier kits.

Mike.

Would that of been the second boxing of the Beutepaner that included a trailer?  From what I understand, Bronco did try to correct the engine deck but is still not quite there - at least not with the last desert version that was released:

137677-10244-pristine.jpg

133003-10244-pristine.jpg

958276-15317-57-pristine.jpg

regards,

Jack

From what I can gather, both Beute versions have the re-tooled engine deck. It may not be perfect but at least the various hatches are closer to where they should be.

For the benefit of those who may not be aware of the issue, here's Terry Ashley's review on PMMS: LINK. This page has a direct comparison with the initial kit's engine deck with the one from the Tiger Model Designs resin kit: LINK - bottom picture. The two other British versions share the same engine deck piece.

For comparison, here's the review of the initial Beute kit on Cybermodeler: LINK. THIS image gives a good view of the retooled engine deck. You can see that Bronco shifted the details forward in comparison with the original kit.

As I wrote, not perfect, but an improvement.

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

I now have my own copy of CB35029 and can back up PDH's comments about the engine deck. Possibly one of the largest boxes I've yet seen for a 1/35 tank, though - it's huge!:blink:

Just have to try and source a copy of Peter Brown's A13 book. Which may be tricky......:hmmm:

Mike.

Yeah, I had nose at Model Centrum's site when I was searching for the A13 book. It does seem a slightly convoluted way to order, though. I bought a copy of the A9/A10 book at the Perth Model show a few weeks ago - highly recommended if anyone's intending on buying the upcoming Bronco or Gecko kits.

Mike.:)

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Bronco A10 isn't too far away: in box review on Missing Lynx  and a full build one on PMMS. Unlike the A13 kit, Bronco have opted for link and length tracks for this one. Good selection of markings but Terry Ashley on PMMS does note that the desert fittings aren't included so some scratchbuilding will be needed for a North African theatre vehicle.

As for the Gecko Models ones, they're going to have full bells and whistles - interior, working track, articulated suspension and they'll have the desert fittings included: LINK.

Rough guess I'd say that the Bronco kit will be a lot cheaper as it's simpler than the Gecko one. The catch will be accuracy - I wouldn't be surprised that Gecko's announcement made Bronco rush their kit out so we'll have to wait until the former appears to see which is the most correct of the two.:hmmm:

Edited by MikeR

Hi Mike, thanks for pointing out the desert build option is not in the parts count of Bronco's kit.  Good thing I didn't pull the trigger as it has been available for a few weeks now at Luckymodel - and are actually already sold out! http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=BRO CB35150

Another bonus with the Gecko kit is the addition of a crew figure.

regards,

Jack

• 2 months later...

Naughty Bronco, naughty: CB35151 Cruiser Tank Mk.IIA/IIA CS British Cruiser Tank A10 Mk.IA/IA CS (Balkans Campaign).

Now why did I have a sneaking suspicion that Bronco would release a separate desert boxing after not including the necessary parts in the original release?

Just as well I held off.^_^

Mike.

Same boat as you, I didn't pull the trigger on the initial release - in fact been waiting to see the Gecko kit.

I'm not sure if the 'mistakes' on the first release were on purpose, as it appears they have also corrected some of the bolt details, but again have missed the rivets on the sides of the intake boxes that face the rear.  Compare the cad photos with the review pointing out the errors here:  https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/bronco/cb35150.html

Maybe a third boxing will get it right?

regards,

Jack

Oh, I don't think that the mistakes were deliberate, but the ommision of the sand shield and other desert fittings may well have been. Why release one boxing when two will do? If that was the case, then they were a bit naughty including markings for options that couldn't be built out-of-the-box. I suspect more than few people are probably feeling a bit miffed!

Having written that, it's good that Bronco took on feedback (again) and revised the tooling though for the intake boxes, judging from the parts, I'd say mold draw angle is the likely reason. Bronco could include a sprue with separate bolt heads so those who want to add them, can. It's also good to see that they've noted that the background for the 2nd AD insignia is actually red rather than black as it was on the initial release's decal sheet.

• Like 1