Xtracrylix paint problems

cocky05d

Hi ,was spraying with said paint earlier (Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire and Mosquito interior ) Aircraft grey/green ,the paint would not flow and when it did it was too wet and thick .

A few years ago the paint man at the great yellow giant (Hannants) said i should add some washer fluid to it ,tried that ,made it worse .

Anyone have any idea how i can get consistent results like wot i get with Tamiya paint .

Thanks .

I useually thin Xtracrylix with Tamiya acrylic thinners - never had a problem.  I usually keep a syringe loaded with the thinner to drop directly into the cup as I spray.  

You do keep to keep the nozzle clean though as I find it starts to clog quickly if you don't...

Edited by Grey Beema

Mr Color's 'Mr Levelling Thinner' works brilliantly with Xtracrylics. However, this paint does seem inclined to form wee blobs (sort of technical term!) which can get cloggy very easily. I tend to thin it as much as I dare, stir it for ages with an electric stirrer and paint in smallish batches. If you really need to paint with a big cupful on the airbrush, keep stirring it every so often whilst working and maybe dripping in a little more thinner as Grey Beema suggests.

Another fine thinning/blob-breaking medium I've discovered is...(wait for it!)...really hot water! Sprays smooth as anything.

For historical reasons, Xtracrylics is still my go-to for SEA colours so I tend to put up with its 'idiosyncracies'!

HTH.

• Like 1

I use Winsor & Newton ‘Artisan water mixable oil thinner’ for thinning Xtracrylix. I experimented with it years ago, and have always had good results using it. Paint goes on nice and smooth, and I don’t suffer as much with ‘tip dry’ or clogging.

(Shameless pimping of a kit painted many years ago!)

I use Xtracrylix matt varnish on all my kits, but with this I use their own thinner which seems to preserve the matt finish better.

Mart