F-111C Hasegawa 1/72 ***FINISHED***

AndrewE

OK, I think I am going to have to join this GB.  My head says I have enough to be getting on with but since the F-111 is one of my favourite aircraft and I have now finished my DHC-2 Beaver for the de Havilland GB and I have 3 in the stash it would be a shame to not sign up and build at least one of them.

My choices are between the Hasegawa EF-111A or F-111C "RAAF Farewell"  or to up a scale and do the 1/48th Hobbyboss F-111E/F with all of the extras I have been collecting over the last couple of years.  The title of the thread has partly given away my choice as I simply do not yet have room for a built up 1/48th F-111 yet ( the children both need to leave home first - youngest starts Uni in September so nearly there!).

So I will definitely build a 1/72 scale Hasegawa F-111 and I think it will have to be the EF-111A.  I would like to build the F-111C but I have decided to try and get some decals for a camo/black version to replace the low vis ones that came with the kit.

So this one......using decals from a Modeldecal sheet

34826626283_a86fb78186_b.jpg

or this one.....but in the earlier more colourful scheme.

34826627493_6b22eeb8c1_b.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Andrew and a nice selection to choose from as well.

It would be nice to see another EF-111 in the build, but who could go past a SEA camouflaged F-111C!!!! :D Not that I'm biased or anything!!! :whistle: You may have a wee bit of trouble with the RAAF SEA decals as they can be a bit hard to find, thou that said there is a set on NovaScales ones for sale on eBay at the moment.

For your sanity I'd avoid the 1/48th HB beast, I think most of use would or should have, she's not without issues, if you can spent the time correcting them, then you would come out with a really nice model.

Well good luck with the build, either of those Hasegawa models would be great, I hope you enjoy the build, it sounds like you've been wanting an excuse to build an F-111 for ages. 

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Welcome aboard Andrew and a nice selection to choose from as well.

It would be nice to see another EF-111 in the build, but who could go past a SEA camouflaged F-111C!!!! :D Not that I'm biased or anything!!! :whistle: You may have a wee bit of trouble with the RAAF SEA decals as they can be a bit hard to find, thou that said there is a set on NovaScales ones for sale on eBay at the moment.

For your sanity I'd avoid the 1/48th HB beast, I think most of use would or should have, she's not without issues, if you can spent the time correcting them, then you would come out with a really nice model.

Well good luck with the build, either of those Hasegawa models would be great, I hope you enjoy the build, it sounds like you've been wanting an excuse to build an F-111 for ages. 

Well a decision has now been made - an F-111C in the early camo/black scheme.  Fortunately Robert is making an F-111C as well from the earlier release of this kit that came with the decals I need and he is doing a grey one and I have the decals he needs so we will be swopping decal sheets -problem solved!  The EF-111A will have to wait for the moment I'm afraid.

As for the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit that is a project for later.  I have a replacement Squadron canopy, some seamless intakes, replacement exhaust nozzles, a brass set for the cockpit, Master pitot tube and a set of Afterburner decals winging their way from Sprue Brothers at the moment. I just need to make it before Tamiya release one with all errors corrected (as they have just done with the F-14, me having purchased a Hasegawa one 18months ago and a whole lot of aftermarket!).

I will be making a start on this in a couple of weeks after finishing off a couple of figures and a trip to Hungary this week for the Moson show next weekend.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have all the good bits for it, the seamless intakes would be nice, they're quite rare, who are they by? Are the decals for a grey one or SEA camo one?

I'm now cooling my heals off in Sth. Korea then on a Gas platform for the next 6 or so weeks, so I just get to watch everyone's build.

11 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Sounds like you have all the good bits for it, the seamless intakes would be nice, they're quite rare, who are they by? Are the decals for a grey one or SEA camo one?

I'm now cooling my heals off in Sth. Korea then on a Gas platform for the next 6 or so weeks, so I just get to watch everyone's build.

The intakes are by DMold and the exhausts by Oz Models. The intakes look nice but to fit them you need to carve out some of the U/c bay which does not seem quite right when looking at pictures of the real thing. Presumably the internal width of the kit u/c bay is too wide.  The decals fare for Lakenheath based Varks in camo/black schemes.

I hope you enjoy your break before your 6 week vacation from modelling, maybe get some cheap Academy kits while you are there.

13 hours ago, AndrewE said:

I just need to make it before Tamiya release one with all errors corrected (as they have just done with the F-14, me having purchased a Hasegawa one 18months ago and a whole lot of aftermarket!).

If only!

Pappy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have at last started to make some progress on my build.  Having cleared the workbench of several builds last weekend I was able to get the resin cockpit painted and installed and the undercarriage and engine intakes painted.  I hope I shall see some real progress over the coming long weekend.

The only issue so far was the canopy which was too narrow for the fuselage.  I had to remove some plastic from each fuselage side just below the cockpit to blend everything in. 

34794370664_3e51e3d82b_b.jpg

34794369254_02e4349690_b.jpg

34794368264_1352513812_b.jpg

34826621473_4010598c36_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have now been able to start painting over the last few days.  Normally I would start with the lightest colour and work through to the darkest, in this case the black undersides.  However I decided it was going to be much easier to spray the black first (actually Tamiya flat black with a touch of grey added) as masking the black areas looked a lot easier than masking the camo areas around the intakes.

So having sprayed the black lower surfaces on Thursday evening I spent yesterday masking off the undersides and spraying on the FS10219 tan (Xtracrylix XA1102) on the upper surface. Today more masking followed hopefully  by the FS14102 Green (Xtracyrlix again).

34826620203_815eddbdbe_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All painted now, I hope to fit the undercarriage and put on the decals this weekend.

34794360474_cb505ef6de_b.jpg

34794358684_4530109d9d_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I was up late last night watching Le Mans and putting on the decals so it now just needs some matt varnish and weathering and it should be complete.

First though its games time! Or to be more precise base time.  My wife goes to car boots regularly and keeps a look out for suitable pieces of wood for bases and last year she came home with this wooden games board (snakes and ladders on the other side) for 50p.  I have stuck some artist board to one side and inscribed a pattern for the concrete hardstanding, just needs painting/weathering now.

34794357624_c26a85887c_b.jpg

35596282756_208bb6da1c_b.jpg

• Like 6

Finished.  Had  problems with the initial flat coat (Tamiya 86) which gave it a very dusty appearance so I had to put another coat of Klear over the top and switch to Alclad klear kote matte which sorted things out nicely.

The last picture shows one I did earlier, 1991 to be vaguely precise. Unfortunately due to running out of room in the display cabinet the FB-111A (Hasegawa as well) will now have to make way for the F-111C. It will be broken up but not binned as I still have the remains of the decal sheet for it so it may get resurrected one day.

35467138282_a1e5188121_b.jpg

35248495350_56a21a3969_b.jpg

35248496170_fe6ce137b3_b.jpg

35635004165_66841c65d3_b.jpg

34794355564_4da64d6d5d_b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• AndrewE changed the title to F-111C Hasegawa 1/72 ***FINISHED***

Well done Andrew she looks great and beautifully finished! :thumbsup:

I have worked on this bird but at that stage she had the Pave Tack upgrade done to her.

I've had issues with Tamiya Flat going dusty as well, I;ll have to keep the Alclad in mind.

Glad you could join us, it was great to have you along and watch this lovely build progressing. Hope it was an enjoyable one.

• Like 1

Nicely done Andrew :thumbsup:

As for the flat going 'dusty', it didn't happen to be 'Flat Base' ? The stuff you add to gloss paint to make it flat?

I know a few have been caught out with the flat base before.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Nicely done Andrew :thumbsup:

As for the flat going 'dusty', it didn't happen to be 'Flat Base' ? The stuff you add to gloss paint to make it flat?

I know a few have been caught out with the flat base before.

Thanks for the comments everyone.   Definitely Flat Clear  (just checked), I think the problem was trying to get too matt a finish and spraying too many thin layers on.  Many moons ago when I first tried Tamiya Flatt I did use Flat Base instead by mistake so easily done but I learnt my lesson then thankfully!

The FB-111A is now broken up and in the F-111C box ready to go back into the stash, someday I may make it again, maybe when I get around to the EF-111A.

• Like 1