OLD AIRFIX DEFIANT

The old original 1960's Airfix B P Defiant.

For some reason I found this in my stash and decided to build it, probably to test Halfords matt black spray on plastic.

I remember building this back in about 1979 and thinking it was quite good. I have to admit that this time around I wasn't so impressed, a truly horrible kit, wrong shape and badly fitting parts. The big gap between the fuselage and wing was the worst bit.

33990916216_bc05b8d032_k.jpg

33874338942_1389640e99_k.jpg

33188774244_81d2cdc85f_k.jpg

33188806874_dd3dfd204c_k.jpg

33990897936_2ad7939996_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 23

Great looking honest model, and show's how model making has moved on, over 50 years, Glue, paint, fillers and skills have improved light-years in that 50years, and I feel making old tools is a hobby within a hobby, not having the detail of modern kits, but a lot of soul😇

• Like 4

Hello,Old Thumper - Completed in your customary style,here's another charming trip down nostalgia lane with this delightful Airfix Defiant.Maybe she doesn't measure up with a micrometer but there's no denying that she really looks the part.Another beautifully finished model,my friend.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Old Thumper:

Agree with all the guys above!!!...AND, know that nobody is perfect in this world, so with kits too; have discovered that for one or another reason there are some  inacuracies even in the newest kits around, and one clos modeling pal and friend told  me that "The people is so enthisiastic that will be so long to discover it..."... :)...I have thought in buy a highly expensive kit to check and substitute another very cheap...and someone told me  that this one is not so true to scale and also have some incauracies and advised me to buy an aftermarket set to "correct" the faults... 

Its truth this one is not a Tamigawa but as in my case having two  or three,  for sure will follow your path to get some nice results from an older and outmoded kit that has a huge appeal to look the part...and getting a job results with at least a 60% as nice as your wonderful oldi here,  for sure will be more than happy!!! 

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers, 

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thanks all. 

I build these old kits mostly but not only for fun, I also like to collect the kits I built or wanted as a kid. I think the thing with this old kit is that it takes rather to much time to put together neatly. The thought was in my mind that I could have built the new Airfix Defiant much more quickly and got a nicer result, but then I wouldn't of had the old Defiant in my collection.

There is also a challenge in making these old kits look pretty which I enjoy and get a feeling of satisfaction from.  

• Like 5

Hello again,Old Thumper - Not only do you rise to the challenge of making 'classic' kits look good, I would say that you've perfected this to a fine art.The 'state of the art' latest kits may have all the bells and whistles but they can never replace the charm of nostalgia.Keep up the great work,my friend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well far better build these unloved kit's than let them sit in the stash,great job on her!

I couldn't agree more, they are no less fun to build than the day they were first released.

2 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello again,Old Thumper - Not only do you rise to the challenge of making 'classic' kits look good, I would say that you've perfected this to a fine art.The 'state of the art' latest kits may have all the bells and whistles but they can never replace the charm of nostalgia.Keep up the great work,my friend.

Again I couldn't agree more, there is a great charm in nostalgia and the style of these of kits has a beauty all of it's own.

Thanks all for taking a look.

• Like 2