Airfix Spitfire Mk 22

Here's my latest Airfix build - the 1/72 Spitfire Mk 22. Not a very original scheme, of course, but it gave me a chance to try a silver paint job. I used AK Extreme Metal with Winsor & Newton satin varnish over the top to tone down the brightness. 

It's a lovely little kit and was built from the box with just some masking tape seatbelts added as usual.

Thanks

Ian

IMG_1551_zpshmgtkncx.jpg

IMG_1549_zpsxyj2ubek.jpg

IMG_1546_zpsce6idoa9.jpg

IMG_1550_zpsd1hvtdxc.jpg

IMG_1555_zpshanavrh0.jpg

Almost the first with not quite the last...

IMG_1558_zpszllparqa.jpg

At the head of the Airfix-waffe...

IMG_1559_zpsmh2jj3a8.jpg

• Like 32

Just love that 22 Spitfire. I saw one in a previous thread and had to have one. It's underneath my bench for now until I get the confidence to build something approaching the quality of yours. Working on a 109 trop with a Dornier to follow. That aluminium finish on the Spit looks unforgiving and ready to show imperfections on any seam filling. Nice work sir! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Brilliant looking Spitfire 😊 and look very smart, hope they all live behind a glass case.

Thank you. Not behind glass but under plastic:

IMG_1568_zps7k8hidqf.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Just love that 22 Spitfire. I saw one in a previous thread and had to have one. It's underneath my bench for now until I get the confidence to build something approaching the quality of yours. Working on a 109 trop with a Dornier to follow. That aluminium finish on the Spit looks unforgiving and ready to show imperfections on any seam filling. Nice work sir! 

Cheers Vinnie. Yes, the AK aluminium I used went down really well but highlights every fault. I've just noticed a wayward panel line in the photos. Too late now... :mellow:   

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, airbus320 said:

Great model and great collection! How is the W&N satin coat? I swear by the Matt version

Chris

Thanks Chris. The W&N satin is excellent, just like the matt. You need to build up a few light coats and then you get a really nice sheen. I've ditched all my other varnishes now.