Dewoitine D520-The French Spitfire

Morning folk's,I needed an aircraft mojo restorer so turned to Hobbyboss and their easy kit range, so along with some Hellcat build's elsewhere

I've built their little Dewoitine as I had never tackled this aircraft before which when I was a kid always thought was a Spitfire in french colour's.

The kit is really nice,cheap with decent panel lines only the glazing need's work fora good fit.I have to thank Jean for encouragement and info

for this build I was unaware that prior to the distinctive yellow and red I,D, schemes on Vichy aircraft the white fuselage stripe shown were applied

to post-armistice aircraft.Many thank's for looking in.

DSCN4910_zps6svfsx3t.jpg

DSCN4911_zpsfxndhtfu.jpg

DSCN4912_zpsjum7ojmd.jpg

DSCN4914_zpst2esvgzs.jpg

DSCN4915_zpsia1eqomr.jpg

DSCN4916_zpsqy5qekwd.jpg

DSCN4918_zpsockimovo.jpg

DSCN4919_zpsmg3kuc5n.jpg

DSCN4922_zps5vudduha.jpg

DSCN4917_zpsiyarmdlw.jpg

• Like 48

Very neat and colourful Dewoitine!

According to legendary Captain Eric Brown, who test flew virtually everything with wings during and after WW II:

“It was a nasty little brute. Looked beautiful but didn't fly beautifully. Once you get it on the ground, I was told not to leave the controls until it was in the hangar and the engine stopped. You could be taxiing toward the hangar and sit back when suddenly it would go in a right angle.”

So, "the French Spitfire" is perhaps a bit of a misnomer… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and colourful Dewoitine!

According to legendary Captain Eric Brown, who test flew virtually everything with wings during and after WW II:

“It was a nasty little brute. Looked beautiful but didn't fly beautifully. Once you get it on the ground, I was told not to leave the controls until it was in the hangar and the engine stopped. You could be taxiing toward the hangar and sit back when suddenly it would go in a right angle.”

So, "the French Spitfire" is perhaps a bit of a misnomer… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for posting that. I love reading little snippets like that. Especially from the great man himself. 

Hi Steve,

good to see the "little brute" finished! It does look the part and you've done a superb job!

I never saw it finished, therefore I could not tell you that the spinner is more than likely black, as opposed to NMF. Not serious and easy to rectify if you so wish.

Bottom line, great piece of modelling and congrats.

I will get one for myself next month.

Cheers

JR 

• Like 1

Hi again Steve,

I have found a photo of this plane this afternoon and the spinner is definitely black...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi again Steve,

I have found a photo of this plane this afternoon and the spinner is definitely black...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

JR

Not a problem  Jean,I'll correct it tomorrow when I have a session.Thank's for taking the time to look.

That's really very nice Steve. I haven't tried the Hobby Boss much, but visions like this win me over; it's great!

Lovely job on the paint scheme and the transfers look very good. Nice subtle accents on the panel lines.

Looks a lot better than a FROG one I have stashed for a rainy day...perhaps time to invest in one of these instead :hmmm: ?

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi Stebej60:

Confratulatuiosn for this wonderful build!!!

A real Nice build and wonderful job in all deprataments without a doubt. As soon as I can put my hands in one of those Hobbyboss beauties will catch one!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi steve,

Very nice kit, look great,

I have the 1/48 Tamiya one to do, I found an interesting color photo as the French leave France for Lebanon and Syria (Yes already at the time, Nothing new)

You did a fine job on painting too, these easy kits look nice.

Congratulations.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello,Steve - My apologies for the late radar lock on this latest build.The 'Dewoitine' is not a type that I'm familiar with.Unlike your hallmark skill and expertise,which I see in all your builds.Great work indeed.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...