Good You Tube channels?

Eduard Scissorhands

Hi folks,

I'm just getting into the hobby - nearly forty years after building some models as a kid.

I was wondering what You Tube channels people would recommend to learn from? I've watch quite a bit of David Damek's excellent channel (Plasmo) but I was wondering what else you guys recommend?

Staggered at the quality of some of the work on here - so much to try and master!

thanks

E

5 hours ago, Eduard Scissorhands said:

Hi folks,

I'm just getting into the hobby - nearly forty years after building some models as a kid.

I was wondering what You Tube channels people would recommend to learn from? I've watch quite a bit of David Damek's excellent channel (Plasmo) but I was wondering what else you guys recommend?

Staggered at the quality of some of the work on here - so much to try and master!

thanks

E

Hi, a member of this site Paul Budek puts material on you tube............check out his catalogue of tips and advice...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyR8R2KZ3TM

• Like 1

I have been watching Spencer Pollard's channel on and off. It's not bad.

Brett Green of Hyperscale was a pioneer of on line videos which he began about ten years ago. He seems to have given up on these videos now but the originals can still be found on line - via you tube if you want to go down that route.

On the whole, I have found that modellers do not make the best TV presenters. In order to engage an audience, you need more than good modelling skills. Talking to camera, no matter what the subject matter is, is a skill and an art. So far, Brett Green's presentations still stand out for me.

Another vote for Paul Budzik. He is especially good at showing techniques to improve your model building. Since you are coming back to the hobby, these would be invaluable. 

Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone for the generous welcome.

I've followed the suggestions and hunted around and there's actually quite a lot of good stuff out there. Some of the guys waffle a bit, but doing ad-lib live and keeping it compact is very difficult.

Paul Budzik's channel is mint; it's a shame he doesn't have time to post more stuff, but making videos is pretty time consuming.

As for me, I've built three WWII fighters now using just brushes and stuff stashed in the boxes, so I'm now going to take time out to get a proper den set up with airbrush etc and try and progress things to the next level.

thanks again 

Edited by Eduard Scissorhands

Hiya mate. Belated welcome to Britmodeller.;)

In no particular order, some from my Youtubby ‘subscribed’ list:

Guido Hopp

Doogs' Models

PLASMO

Tom Grigat (Amazing ‘stopmotion’ model build videos)

Paul Budzik

Quick Kits (Surprisingly good for beginners)

MakingModelsAgain

will pattison (Excellent one this. He does ramble a bit, but I find myself agreeing with him on a lot of things. Top bloke)

ScaleModelAircraft

Some of these channels are geared towards the more ‘proficient’ modeller, but definitely check out the 'Quick Kits' channel. He’s only a young ‘un, but gets surprisingly good results considering he’s only using basic techniques and tools.

Mart

Thanks Mart,

I've seen most of them now to some degree, but not Tom Gringat or Guido Hopp so I'll check them out. Will does ramble a bit, but ad libbing stuff like that live is really difficult, and he's very generous with sharing technical knowledge. International British Modeller is another interesting channel; he builds beautiful models but sadly there's no real insight into how he gets his results. Genesis models has a lot of good stuff for beginners/ intermediate too.

I like how the channels reflect the personalities of the modellers. Paul Budzik's channel is all lounge-y with its jazz music and his own laid back delivery style. His knowledge and generosity are amazing. 

I still think David Damek's channel is my favourite though; he manages to comunicate a lot of info in digestible chunks. 

thanks for your suggestions, Mart, I'll check them out.

Hi, welcome! :D

I heartily suggest the ones you're already aware of (namely Plasmo and now Tom Grigat).

Might I also recommend QuickKits- it's not for detail obsessed modellers but it's a nice casual channel with some really superb builds: https://www.youtube.com/user/quickkits/featured

(It also appeals to me, being a teenager of a very similar age to the presenter (Owen))

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1