RS Models 1/72 Avro Rota

Finally completed. I apologize for the long gap between the latest WIP post (here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010850-rs-models-172-avro-rota/&page=2) and this one. Classical last step issue. Or in fact one-before-last step issue. I added the rear windshield (and planned to glue the rotor as the very last step immediately afterwards). I was not satisfied with the windshield position, decided to move it just a little bit, unfortunately the pliers got caught between the rotor cabane struts, sent the machine flying and – logically – no rotor = no autorotation = crash, with inevitable loss of some important details. And this put my modelling enthusiasm off for some time.

But here it is eventually, RS Model 1/72 Avro Rota short run, finished as all-silver K4230 in Martlesham Heath, March 1935. Hand brushed with Revell and Humbrol enamel paints. Decals – as the roundels were too bright in the kit, I used replacement from my stock. The rest comes from the kit. Enjoyable build, more or less out of the box, with some scratch-build details here and there. Contrary to my WIP, I strongly recommend to add the rotor + its cabane together as the last step. Painting the cockpit padding and placing the windshields in between the cabane struts was not something I would be glad to repeat once again.

Patrik

P4130021.jpg

P4130022.jpg

P4130023.jpg

P4130027.jpg

P4130034.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 28

Hello,Patrik - Anything from the AVRO stable gets a 'thumbs up' from me.

You've made a superb job of this rare subject in model form and its a credit to you.

😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• 1 month later...

Nice kit and well made.  I am just finishing up one of the kits...this one the Swedish model.  I had some trouble with the rotor cabanes but it came together eventually.  Cute little craft and it made for a nice change from my usual bi-and-monoplane kits.  It'll look good on the shelf.

Another thread saved from the Photobucket doom. I still need to do the same with the WIP thread for the same model.

Patrik

• Like 1