Supermarine Spitfire XIV

Beard

36 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Drinking beer is always a good plan, regardless of the sun. If the sun is excessive then the beer becomes medicinal, trust me, its an excellent anti sun stroke potion. :)

Steve.

I'll have to take your word for that... we don't get an awful lot of sun (but we have got plenty of beer).

2 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Looks like your having a lovely time mate! The spitfire is looking cracking as well, very fetching with her transfers on.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I did have quite a nice time... some peanuts would've improved it but beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 1

Cookie suggested, a Lazy Lady (V) calls for a lazy day so, no modelling today... instead I've been for a walk along the Royal Military Canal, spent the afternoon sleeping off a couple of pints and, am currently sitting in the sun drinking a glass of Fleurie whilst dinner cooks.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 3

Done some more modelling today. Got the wheels on and the exhausts installed and some clearfix for the camera ports.

2017-05-14_07-30-04

Looking at the reference photographs, it's obvious that the yellow leading edge bits are too long (or wide), that'll need to be sorted before the matt coat and some 'weathering'.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Canopy on, leading edge id stripes altered and two coats of Windsor & Newton matt varnish:

2017-05-16_12-04-01

Once the varnish is completely dry, I'll five it a panel wash with some poster paint.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 3

Looking good Simon, don't stress too much about the LE stripes, they don't look too out of wack to me.

Steve.

The above was a post that should have gone after your first post about the LE stripes but I found it on the editor when I went to post this, wondered where it went, the perils of posting from work on a phone. :(

Nevertheless, they are an improvement, maybe a bit sharper if anything & the overall effect is still pretty darn nice, there is something similar in my future for sure. :)

Steve.

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking sweet in the sun there Beard. :yes:

Simon.

Thank you Simon. 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Simon, don't stress too much about the LE stripes, they don't look too out of wack to me.

Steve.

The above was a post that should have gone after your first post about the LE stripes but I found it on the editor when I went to post this, wondered where it went, the perils of posting from work on a phone. :(

Nevertheless, they are an improvement, maybe a bit sharper if anything & the overall effect is still pretty darn nice, there is something similar in my future for sure. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. All I did was 'shorten' them, at least one of the photos earlier in the thread shows that they didn't extend all the way to the cannon. I hope this WiP warns you of the pitfalls in the kit and you don't make the mistakes I did.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

It's done!

20170521_132805

20170521_132818

20170521_132831

20170521_132840

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave advice. I'll be making another in the future (there are three more in the stash) but now I'll be finishing the Hurricane 1Trop, Kittyhawk IV and Mustang IV that are littering my workbench.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice result Simon, she's looking very imposing with that big nose!

Thanks Ced. The big nose certainly adds to the look.

7 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice one Beard, she looks great in the glorious sunshine.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. The sunshine is glorious, made all the better with beer and Soundgarden.

2 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Griffon nose and clipped wings lead to quite an intimidating look. Fantastic Spitfire Simon.

Thanks Cookie. It would certainly be intimidating to Luftwaffe pilots.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looks very good Simon, hope I can manage as well come the day, least I've got this build to fall back on for inspiration & info.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. You can also refer back to this build for a lesson in how not to do it.

4 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

MkXIV s rule 👌. Nice job

Thank you.

• Like 2