Supermarine Spitfire XIV

Beard

On 4/15/2017 at 7:37 AM, Troy Smith said:

Imagine how much less fun this would be if we had proper answers.... 

So true Troy!

Simon, I forgot what a true pain this kit is. I had all of these problems too. Another to mention is the backing for the exhausts. I have no idea how they're supposed to fit, and there's a giant ejector mark over their location.

That said, I do like its dimensions in the end - especially the wing.

You're through the woods with this one now Simon.

18 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Simon, I forgot what a true pain this kit is. I had all of these problems too. Another to mention is the backing for the exhausts. I have no idea how they're supposed to fit, and there's a giant ejector mark over their location.

That said, I do like its dimensions in the end - especially the wing.

It isn't just me then. I just carved the ejector pins off and attached the exhaust-backing plates with lots of glue.

You're through the woods with this one now Simon.

Not quite.

The carburettor intake is short-shot:

20170416_152121

20170416_152219

You'll also notice that I've drooped the elevators (and got one the wrong way round).

But it's together!

2017-04-16_05-12-34

• Like 7

Good to see it together Simon. One of the (many) main challenges you've done a nice job on here is the front cowling.

I can't imagine why Sword wouldn't do a test build? :hmmm: 

Great stuff on your behalf

TonyT

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Good to see it together Simon. One of the (many) main challenges you've done a nice job on here is the front cowling.

I can't imagine why Sword wouldn't do a test build? :hmmm: 

Great stuff on your behalf

TonyT

Thanks Tony. I haven't got any concrete proof that Sword didn't do a test-build, it's just that the evidence is there in that parts don't fit. I'm not knocking Sword, I really like their Spitfire VC and Seafires but this one seems to be a little slapdash in it's execution (which is, incidentally, what I'd like to see happen to whoever designed it... 😀).

Edited by Beard
to correct the spelling of 'Spitfire' (it's not a word I type very often).
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, Beard said:

to be a little slapdash in it's execution (which is, incidentally, what I'd like to see happen to whoever designed it... 😀).

:rofl:

I laughed out loud at 4am. Mrs. T was not amused.

I still am:rofl:!

TonyT

• Like 3

No modelling today as my wife forced me to go out for something to eat.

I'm currently in a pub which has some models on the walls, as well as Harveys Best on draught.

2017-04-17_05-18-57

2017-04-17_05-19-20

• Like 8

Having recovered from yesterday's booze, pizza and KFC, I've done some work on the Spitfire.

I selected, what i think is, an appropriate tank from the spares box:

20170418_155705

Glued it to the Spitfire's bottom and splashed on some Medium Sea Grey (Humbrol 165).

A little progress on my Freightdog Spitfire XI conversion as well. There's a small prize for anyone who can spot the error I've made.

2017-04-18_04-23-18

(It's not the white camera compartment hatch, that's a replacement I've made.)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

May it be chance that the prop is the wrong way round.

Simon.

I hope not. (Heads off to check.)

16 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Looking forward to the rest of this build :D Been waiting a while to see the Sword XIV built up!

Ben

Thanks Ben. There is a distinct lack of them on here.

Progress has slowed, partly because I've got distracted by a Mosquito in the De Haviland Group Build but also because I've had to do some remedial work in the nose seams.

Once they're sorted out, I can start to paint the Ocean Grey.

Photographs to follow.

• Like 3

It's a sunny day so, having felt a bit under-the-weather the last few days, I'm sitting in the garden and drinking beer (Timothy Taylor's Landlord, since you ask) but have taken the opportunity to spray-paint the underside of my car-door Typhoon.

2017-04-23_02-42-54

Next-up will be the black stripes. All this will be good practice for the D-Day mega-build I have planned for late-May to early-July.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, rob85 said:

looks like some cracking work and the tiffie is coming on nicely!

Thanks Rob. The Typhoon has had all the paint removed... I'd done it as Invasion stripes rather than the Identification stripes Typhoons had.

28 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I can't see a mistake and have been looking at it for some time.... please put me out of my misery.

It has armour behind the pilot's seat.

I've been applying copious amounts of filler to the Spitfire, in an attempt to blend one if the upper cowling into the fuselage. As you can see, I've been partially sucessful:

2017-04-23_06-35-47

A bit if masking then a coat of Ocean Grey and we'll see how it looks.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice Simon - what a pain though eh?

All my own fault Ced, I should've attached the cowlings to their respective fuselage halves before joining the fuselage up.

• Like 4

That cowling is a real pain. Speaking as someone who has made an odd habit of attaching Airfix Griffon cowlings to the fuselages of many other manufacturers, I can say that attaching the new Sword cowling to its own kit is nearly the same amount of work. I think it's easiest to attach one cowl half to the fuselage (and add a bit of plasticard under the upper cowl surface to create shelf for the other cowl half), then join the fuselage halves, and finally add the second cowl half.

Just like that old song, "I'm and old Cowl Half" - at least I thought those were the lyrics.

• Like 2

Not just the cowl that needs clean up - that leading edge really needs a good sanding, if not more filler.

I'll have to have a look at one of these when I come off the current tour on Tempests. Although I have a hankering to do another Sword/Xtrakit mk XII.

• Like 1

That cowling is a real pain. Speaking as someone who has made an odd habit of attaching Airfix Griffon cowlings to the fuselages of many other manufacturers, I can say that attaching the new Sword cowling to its own kit is nearly the same amount of work. I think it's easiest to attach one cowl half to the fuselage (and add a bit of plasticard under the upper cowl surface to create shelf for the other cowl half), then join the fuselage halves, and finally add the second cowl half.

Just like that old song, "I'm and old Cowl Half" - at least I thought those were the lyrics.

Now one tells me... :D

10 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Not just the cowl that needs clean up - that leading edge really needs a good sanding, if not more filler.

I'll have to have a look at one of these when I come off the current tour on Tempests. Although I have a hankering to do another Sword/Xtrakit mk XII.

Some of what looks like cleaning up on leading edge is actually the tape that's masking the underside and some of what looks like it needs cleaning up does need cleaning up (probably more filler)

They're not bad, most of the problems I'm experiencing are self-inflicted, but they ain't as straightforward as the Sword VCs/ Seafires! although I have to admit that this kit is sapping what's left of my, already low, will to live.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Make Halfords Grey Primer your new best friend.  Ideal for all the PSR these things need.

I'm familiar with Halfords grey primer (although terms of my parole don't allow me to use spray cans) but 'PSR' is beyond me.

18 hours ago, Beard said:

I'm familiar with Halfords grey primer (although terms of my parole don't allow me to use spray cans) but 'PSR' is beyond me.

Take them outside.  I do all my spraying with cans outside due to the overspray which is uncontrollable with cans, especially metallics.  Ask me how I know!

Trust me, once you start using primer, you won't want to go back.  It will make a massive difference.

• Like 1

Thanks Wooksta.

I brush-paint aircraft with enamels so have always thought primer unnecessary, except when painting yellow, because the first coat normally highlights seams and not-sanded-enough filler.

I used to prime models with a rattlecan when I used acrylics on 1/35 German AFVs (once managing to melt a Tamiya Horch by using lacquer rather than acrylic primer) so I'm no stranger to overspray. I used to have an old fridge in my garden that had the outlines of Tigers, Panthers and a Bf109 on it. Sadly, that fridge has gone to the dump and where I now live spray-painting is frowned on due to my ability to miss an entire Guardian and leave soft-edged lines on items of garden furniture.

• Like 2