Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry it didn't work out on this occasion for you sir. There'll be other magic carpets in the bazaar.

Tony 

Thanks Tony - there will indeed! :)

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

How very 1970's !! (remember when solarization was all the rage?!)

K

Thanks Keith - solarisation, crikey, I'd forgotten that... and the colourful printed nylon shirts that were shocking, especially if you pulled them off too quickly (static, honest) :) 

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Pity the snake cam didn't work out for you Ced but on a positive note it's pointed out the very obvious passenger at the rear. Is none other than Doctor number three himself. Mr Pertwee in full frilly outfit.:christmas:

love it. Gray masking too by the way.

top stuff indeed.

Johnny who?

6 hours ago, philp said:

So I am not the only one who noticed the Doctor.

Thanks Johnny and Phil - Doctor Who? Should have done the 'knock knock' first... rats.

33460996534_5a754a6230_z.jpg

jon_pertwee_wallpaper_by_auton710-d6kbwu

Good job it's blurred eh?

The second row of passengers has been loaded:

33475006394_2719694113_z.jpg

That shot seems to have focussed on the 'Jon figure' - I can assure you that 06/24 is much happier, and more handsome, than that - sorry matey! You can also see that my figure (front row) isn't much better... especially the pathetic representation of my glorious facial hair:

34316629185_0a76313965_z.jpg

even though there's not really a face. Ho hum, the best laid plans and all that. At least the Doctor's got his assistant [insert your favourite passion here]. One final shot of Brian and his magic control column (fnaar fnaar):

34158698072_4e31b72713_z.jpg

and then it was time to close up. 

Right, where does it fit? Um, er, where it touches I'm afraid. It's going to have to be a multi-stage join up, starting with the nose and roof behind the pilot:

34158844702_4848035692_z.jpg

I'll work my way down the joins and let you know how it goes.

• Like 13

Those figures, it has to be said, look pretty poor in close up! But, in the final shot, from just a bit further away they (especially 'Brian', & he'll be most visible) look pretty good! When the transparencies are on Ced I reckon they'll really look the part, & certainly it will be miles better than having a 'Marie Celeste' Rapide doing circuits around your room....!!

Good luck with nailing the bits together!

Keith

• Like 3

Thanks Keith - 'pretty poor' is kind, but I guess they were cheap... except the pilot which is from PJ Productions. You get what you pay for!

Thanks Giorgio - working my way around, carefully:

34317350155_e0a92cd276_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 8

Thanks Keith :)

Last set of joins:

33478423444_bc0d073027_z.jpg

Weird this. I think the kit must have warped because, despite the locator pins, it was all over the place.

Hopefully nothings slipped and we'll see what it's like when those clamps come off.

Theatre tonight for a bit of culture (hopefully!)

• Like 10

Thanks Rob - glad you like them!

Thanks Tony - we saw 'The Mentor' with that bloke off 'Homeland', you know, F.Murray Abraham - it were great! A few much needed chuckles. There seemed to be a few luvvies in the audience too including Simon Callow. Oooh, get me, all cultured, innit :) 

Thanks Cookie - I must admit that the figures have drained my mojo a bit - all that effort for some awful results - but hey, half the fun is the journey eh? :sick:

Thanks John - ah, memories... The Floyd, takes me back (now "Ouch, me back"!)

The seams don't look too bad, mostly flash I think:

33514438643_04cf5f5abb_z.jpg

33482872394_90ecb118c6_z.jpg

34166499682_f56dac4822_z.jpg

Soon have those sorted (famous last words...)

• Like 12

Oh, a Heller one: Nothing serious at this stage/at all. Some flash and sanding with a bit of filler, if necessarry at all.

A strange plane. As strange as your passenger:

P.s: I like Dieter Meier from Yello very much. He's such an innovative gentleman by now since the 80' (but they never played much live with all that success. What a shame, but not for him.)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Thanks Benedikt :)

This morning I addressed the seams with various seam scraping devices. The Citadel one is great for knocking off big lumps (titter) and the 'Fritag Ninja' and UMM ones for taking off the flash and steps. On flat(ish) surfaces like this I think the UMM one wins, plus it doesn't have other arms that are scratching other bits while you're not looking:

34335740935_28d5f106a4_z.jpg

33525520003_5b24126fd1_z.jpg

33494388004_376eb5863f_z.jpg

I then applied some Mr Surfacer 1000 to the remaining joins, mainly to use it up. I bought it after one of those BM posts that shows an obvious seam, the post "I applied some Mr Surfacer to the seam" and then a perfect seam afterwards:

34209391861_3dc3a4d1db_z.jpg

I'm obviously not using it properly as, for me, it sinks in rather than filling but it does show up nicely where the seams need more attention. Bit like the Liquid Green Stuff only harder to clean up.

Let me know if I'm doing it wrong!

• Like 11

The passengers look a little leery of that (to them) giant scraper, but it's only going to get them on their flying tour of your office that much sooner.

I'm with you on the Mr Surfacer Ced, I've just started using slathered paint as a substitute for very fine scratches. 

• Like 3

I have Mr Surfacer 1000 and 500 but don't use them much now. My prefered method for dealing with seams is Squadron green and white putties. They can be slightly porous which can show up under thin finishes like Alclad so an additional application of Mr Surfacer might be a good idea there but in most cases an application of primer and normal paint usually seems to cover things.

• Like 1

Thanks Cookie, especially for the 'slathered' paint tip!

Thanks Nigel - great tips. I'll look for some Squadron putty.

This is turning into one of those grrrr builds. Today it's two things; forgetting to insert the i/p before close up, despite all my efforts cutting grooves to accommodate it:

34316523066_e0c7337476_z.jpg

so I cut the PE off the plastic and stuck that on as best I could:

34199403172_f0cfaf2802_z.jpg

Secondly, the instructions say to 'remove the chrome paint' from the joins before glueing but make no mention of the fact that it will make the seams look worse as they get better:

34227080591_0ddafdeed1_z.jpg

and show up scratches that aren't actually in the surface:

34361152685_b4740e6b34_z.jpg

Once I realised what was happening I stopped sanding and fitted the canopy:

34361146835_4d4a9dbe31_z.jpg

• Like 12

On 30/04/2017 at 4:20 PM, CedB said:

Secondly, the instructions say to 'remove the chrome paint' from the joins before glueing

What 'chrome paint' be they on about Ced...?!

Good save on the IP...!

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks Simon - you're right, this painted plastic makes it look as though there are seams where they aren't - a real pain.

Thanks Johnny - great support, really appreciated.

Thanks Keith - the whole things covered in a sort of silver / chrome paint over the dark grey plastic. Why? Who knows...

Thanks Rob - just some detail on the bottom (fnaar!)

Not much to show for today's efforts - painted the frame IG and 'did a Cookie' by sloshing some on the seams which do seem to be fine:

34262768211_5cb9e5900b_z.jpg

Bits are being gathered for priming:

33551221604_1b788c5b64_z.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 13

the whole things covered in a sort of silver / chrome paint over the dark grey plastic. Why? Who knows...

That's just weird. Your approach to tackling the problem looks just fine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

That's just weird. Y 

Yeh I agree, my kit is moulded in silver plastic, but no sign of 'chrome paint' - you must have a Special edition Ced, you lucky thing...!! :D

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel - weird indeed! Perhaps the idea was that it didn't need (any more) painting - huh!

Hi Keith - have you tried scratching it? No, not that, the plastic? If mine is a special edition (a comment I often get) then my luck is, er, dubious :) 

I want to get the primer on.

Q: What are these:

34403131215_d9ff65c093_z.jpg

A: Aileron actuators? The instructions (vaguely) say fit one to the top wing and one to the bottom. So why are there three?

34245865612_cf9a16ca15_z.jpg

One for a spare?

(Reminds me of an old friend who used to test PA systems by saying "Testes, testes, one, two, THREE??!!")

You can see the lines on the kit representing these but they're bigger on the real thing. Reference shots show them clearly but not all at once (har har). 

(I know Nigel and some others are thinking 'scratch one from PE'. Ahem. this is me, remember?)

Assembling the nacelles - the wheels need drilling out:

34363323536_f3b85c51f7_z.jpg

but then they go together, vaguely OK. Here they're waiting for the glue to dry before they get sanded and the cowlings fitted:

33563174804_9d1a272134_z.jpg

• Like 11