Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

Lots of shots of Rapides here. Obviously there are four and they do appear to be actuators, joined between the top and bottom wing with a wire through the strut (luckily).

The PE has three pairs of two parts so I guess the funny symbol in between 20 and 21 in the diagram means 'different numbers other side' and there's a spare set?

When I have some more mojo I think I'll fit them as single bits - I was going to fold them!

Silly me.

Rats - over the page. This diagram:

34403131215_d9ff65c093_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CedB said:

(Reminds me of an old friend who used to test PA systems by saying "Testes, testes, one, two, THREE??!!")

That`s where I have been going wrong Ced, and I thought the 1,2 1,2 bit was the count of the audience.

Looking near priming then mate.

Simon.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - closer...

The kit actuators were cut off carefully with a chisel blade:

34406881255_009c89c49a_z.jpg

and some slots made with the RB Productions angle scribers. First time I've used them and crikey, they're sharp:

34022170310_be820fb5e6_z.jpg

Thanks to Fritag for the recommendation. PE then glued on:

34365679896_b44e1e031c_z.jpg

with a spot of CA in the slot and then prodded around the edges. The nibs on the top have been filled off now; only saw them in that photo. Held carefully with tweezers and filed, only one fell off. Nacelles prepared:

34408995135_9dcf79fc57_z.jpg

All I need to do now is cut the struts off the sprue, clean them up and not mix them up when spraying:

34278204151_dd5ea151ce_z.jpg

I'll number up some cocktail sticks.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking rather spiffing Ced. Excited for paint! :clap2::lol:

Johnny

Same here :clap::popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

I've been listening to old episodes of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue whilst catching up with this Ced and now hear Willie Rushton's voice reading out your posts. This modelling lark gets very confusing sometimes doesn't it? :D

Glad to see you're wrestling those shapes into submission and approaching painting imminently. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Ah, Willie, sadly missed (stop it you lot!)

My first 15 minutes of fame came when I appeared on 'Celebrity Squares' some years ago; 1978. Willie was one of the celebrities.

For those that remember the game, the last round was 'name nine xxxx' for a £1000 prize. My subject? Classical composers.

We had been briefed by the wonderful Bob Monkhouse (a truly lovely man) to work though the alphabet when trying to think of our answers.

At 28 seconds I said 'Schubert', my ninth answer. Bob said "Did you say 'Shubert'?" "Yes" says I and off went all the lights.

Willie said "He said 'Tuborg' - that's a lager" but I still won.

I was presented with the question card and, in the bar afterwards, had it signed by 'the stars' that had stayed behind.

34374827276_f453b4be25_z.jpg

34416133745_60475cf608_z.jpg

• Like 13

I've just started priming and the cheap airbrush I use for priming has clogged.

Deep clean.

Spatters.

Grrrr.

You get what you pay for I guess.

In the bin.

Another cheap one ordered from Amazon, delivering tomorrow.

Some people never learn.

• Like 7

While I was waiting for the airbrush...

Fitted the PE rudder actuators:

33616838043_498727d71f_z.jpg

Started on the prop for the pressurisation unit:

33616936153_e0fab76a07_z.jpg

I think that's going to need some tiny blade extensions. Gulp.

Cut off some clear sprue for the red nav light thingies:

33618983083_b0d9a9245e_z.jpg

and painted them up:

34387880056_a957d0747f_z.jpg

• Like 15

Looking fine Ced. But did you check the position of the aileron actuators??? Because the raised ribs of the kit depicting these  are not all in the right place!! If you view from the front, you will see that they are a rib or so out. Ref my build in this GB.  The outer 'I' struts actually contain the cables for the aileron actuators on the real aeroplane as you know.. If you are brave enough and if its not too late, you could still move the new etch parts to the correct locations and render the surface before painting.

Also the tail plane elevator hinge lines are swept back!!! I found this out almost too late when building mine. I rectified this by sanding of the rib detail to the fixed portion of the tail planes and fixed them best I could to get it right which helped a bit but one does need to watch for this.

• Like 1

Thanks Gents - very kind :)

Cookie I'm afraid there's no video record of the programme. No one I knew had a video recorder at the time - too new and expensive! I do have a tape recording that my sister did from the TV; awful quality but now digitised and in my iTunes.

Thanks Paul. I've checked the actuator position and it looks as though it's been corrected in my version of the kit:

33632488173_6d09eff01c_z.jpg

Phew!

Come on Amazon, get that airbrush here! (He said, having been conditioned to expect things to be delivered from anywhere in minutes. Roll on transporter beams!)

Star Wars day today - May the Fourth be with you!

• Like 10

On 03/05/2017 at 0:28 AM, CedB said:

34374827276_f453b4be25_z.jpg

34416133745_60475cf608_z.jpg

That's Amazing. Bob was ace! Willie's comment on the card too. Ha!

come on did you say "Tuborg" your secrets safe with us. ;) . Oh an what's going on with cheep airbrushes at the moment? Mines borked too? Grumble, grumble. Wonderful progress Ced. :clap2:

Johhny.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Gents - very kind :)

Cookie I'm afraid there's no video record of the programme. No one I knew had a video recorder at the time - too new and expensive! I do have a tape recording that my sister did from the TV; awful quality but now digitised and in my iTunes.

Thanks Paul. I've checked the actuator position and it looks as though it's been corrected in my version of the kit:

33632488173_6d09eff01c_z.jpg

Phew!

Come on Amazon, get that airbrush here! (He said, having been conditioned to expect things to be delivered from anywhere in minutes. Roll on transporter beams!)

Star Wars day today - May the Fourth be with you!

Ah! Then that supports my theory that the one s Airfix boxed could have been rejects by Heller...

• Like 1

Have you got an ultrasonic cleaner for your airbrush(es)? If not I would suggest you invest in one, I bought mine from Amazon. They work really well and SWMBO also uses it for jewellery and things like that.

John

I also miss Willy Rushton

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That's Amazing. Bob was ace! Willie's comment on the card too. Ha!

come on did you say "Tuborg" your secrets safe with us. ;) . Oh an what's going on with cheep airbrushes at the moment? Mines borked too? Grumble, grumble. Wonderful progress Ced. :clap2:

Johhny.

Thanks Johnny - Bob was great, as were the others who signed the card in the bar; very nice people and not at all 'precious'.

Cheap airbrushes? Well, you get what you pay for I guess. The one that's been binned, and its colleague, came with the cheap compressor as a set. All have gone to landfill now. The last brush had a side feed cup, almost impossible to clean. Especially when used for primer which, as its name suggests, sticks like anything. Stynylrez does come out quite easily with the Badger cleaner but only if you're quick.

I'm sort of regretting spending the money on another cheap one... should have put the money towards something that'll last. My H&S Evolution is great but, now I'm using Cookie's close up / build up spray method for variation, I keep the 0.2 nozzle in it. Even with the 0.4 nozzle I got fed up having to strip it after primer. Off to the Gloucester show a week on Sunday so I think I'll talk to Paul from Modelling Tools - he's always great for advice and his prices seem to be competitive.

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

In honour of Willie, Ced and May the Fourth... I give you:

Thanks Jon :D Although everyone knows Darth is from Bristle, inni my luvver!

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Ah! Then that supports my theory that the one s Airfix boxed could have been rejects by Heller...

Thanks Paul - certainly strange eh?

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Have you got an ultrasonic cleaner for your airbrush(es)? If not I would suggest you invest in one, I bought mine from Amazon. They work really well and SWMBO also uses it for jewellery and things like that.

John

I also miss Willy Rushton

Thanks John :) I do have an ultrasonic cleaner and it's great for deep cleans - nice and easy. 

Come on, come on... had my 'out for delivery' email so not long now...

• Like 4

Thanks Keith :)

The airbrush has arrived. Sprayed the white Stynylrez with it:

34290136882_5a1fbbe7f4_z.jpg

The Amazon description says it comes with multiple nozzles and I was going to use the 0.5mm one. Guess what - it only comes with a 0.2. Of course it clogged.

I have learned my lesson - you gets what you pays for!

• Like 8