Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

12 hours ago, Beard said:

I have no recollection of saying that but I'm happy to take the credit.

Thanks Simon - it's your builds (rather than your words) that have encouraged me; you and Rob have been getting great results so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not sure it'll be my first choice though - I'm too lazy!

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Fantastic build Ced! Hope little Ced, PC and 6/24 enjoy their tour of your office ceiling.

Thanks Cookie. I hope so too - it may compensate for the awful figures.

1 hour ago, philp said:

Another great build Ced.

So what is next on the hit parade?

Thanks Phil. I need to finish Amy Johnson's Gypsy Moth first but that's coming on. 

After that I think I'll do something easier... with no rigging!

I have a 'beer barrel Spitfire' near the top of my list and this as my desktop wallpaper but I might do something simple first, just for a rest.

7 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Definitely worth adding to your signature.

John

Thanks John - done!

• Like 1

Just catching up Ced. Lovely finish on a very obscure aircraft, married up with your great back story and the funniest figure post to date it's been a ball. Oh and THAT blue. :o I'll head over to the RFI later on as I have a busy morning but thanks for sharing such a great build.

John.-_-

• Like 1

On 19/05/2017 at 7:32 PM, CedB said:

Thanks Leon bat (did I spell that right?

...I think you mean 'butt' or 'butty'. A valley's colloquialism for friend. It's a saying a originates from the mines. The guy who placed the butts to support the roof of the mine was a popular guy! 😊

• Like 1

On 13/04/2017 at 5:24 PM, CedB said:

I'm a time-lapsed PPL 

Now I've got a confused conflation in my head of time-lapse photography and Ced aviating in a series of instantaneous seeming leaps and bounds- rather like Dr Who's Weeping Angels......

Handsome build Ced.  I just wish I'd found the thread before it was finished.....:blush:

• Like 3

Thanks Steve - really appreciated. I also find GBs hard to track so don't worry that you missed the fun! Pleased to see you've found the Jason thread...

Time-elapsed should it be?

I found that going to the airfield to do my required 6 hours a year, er, how can I put this... pointless? I'd run out of friends that wanted to take photos of their houses and I now know that if I want to fly I can go and give money to someone at a flying club and off we go.

"... in a series of instantaneous seeming leaps and bounds" - reminiscent of my (very) early landings

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Time-elapsed should it be?

I found that going to the airfield to do my required 6 hours a year, er, how can I put this... pointless? I'd run out of friends that wanted to take photos of their houses and I now know that if I want to fly I can go and give money to someone at a flying club and off we go.

"... in a series of instantaneous seeming leaps and bounds" - reminiscent of my (very) early landings

Snap! Twice!!

Keith

• Like 1

Time expired perhaps?

Anyroad up more or less the same applies to me too so that makes 3 of us.

I always seemed to end up going flying when I had to (to keep current) rather than because I wanted to - and I ended up doing the same thing every time - airborne - 20 minutes of aerobatics (till I felt sick) - pootle about a bit - practice a bit of manoeuvring in the light buffet on the edge of the stall ('flicking' it one way and t'other using the rudders) and then a few circuits.  I realised I wasn't getting anything like value for money from it in enjoyment terms so just stopped.

Mind you I'm beginning to think it's time to have another bash at learning to glide.........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

Exactly how I felt - there were only so many times I could 'fly to the badges' from Old Sarum or up to Bath and when the kids stopped coming out into the garden to wave it was time to pack in.

Gliding? I used to organise trips to a club for work colleagues ages ago and enjoyed that but all the clubs locally expect you, quite rightly I guess, to do your share of the grunt work before you get a flight. Not quite the same as 'turn up and go'. Unless you have shares and a friendly tug pilot :wicked: 

Powered para-wings from the back field? Nah. Grounded I guess, ho hum.

Really enjoyed watching your progress and seeing the great final result of your labours. I gave up light aircraft flying for for some time too when I realized that I was doing it because I had to, rather than because I wanted to. I'm in a lucky place now where due to time I don't fly as much as I'd like to and when I do there are 3 or 4 types to fly, each with their challenges, and no day is th same. On top of it all is seeing the reactions when I take people up like yourself!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mea culpa Ced

I didn't notice you were a'doing of this until too damned late but, tell you what, its real enjoyment to be able to pick one up and read from the start

Blue?

I'd have advised getting a Tamiya aerosol of blue acrylic paint

I had the task of painting blue all over a Sauber racing car soon after I restarted modelling, helpful modellers on Pistonheads advised me to get a Mica Blue for the Red Bull liveried C22

Two light passes and it was all done quickly and safely

None of the trauma you've sufferred

But in retrospect you have made a wonderful job of it

Wasn't a bad beard neither, butty, the figures were great fun

Reminds me I had that Heller Rapide, the  💩 fit of so many parts of it resulted in a No Finish 

Big time fail for me, I wish I'd been able to watch this and get your guidance...

👎 for mine. 👍 for yours

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Superb build!

It is close to time for me to start mine.

I did learn one important thing from the stripes you did.  I will choose a scheme without stripes.

Greg in OK

• Thanks 1

Wow this thread brough back some memories for me.....None of them terribly pleasant TBH:unsure:

To say you did a better job with this kit than I did is an understatement of titanic proportions.....Bravo that man!  :coolio: