Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

You'll walk it Ced, you done more difficult things in this build already and that Infini line will make it easy :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - your confidence in my efforts helps a lot - thanks mate :) 

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

She looks excellent mate! Can't believe you pulled off the white stripes, very nice work!

Rob

Cheers Rob :)

Didn't get much sleep last night (late to bed an up early) so I'm too clumsy to trust myself to do a good job on the rigging so I've just done some easier bits.

I fitted the struts from the nacelles to the fuselage, noting from the reference shots that they're parallel to the leading edge and to each other.

I then realised they're too long:

33818563753_0345e2ed79_z.jpg

They should be under the wing root otherwise the lower wing won't go on. Refitted:

33785707334_1f1617e14b_z.jpg

Notice anything wrong in that shot? it's not the struts. it's the top of the nacelles - they should be blue. Arrrrgggghhhh! Oh well, it'll give me a chance to try the new tape (every cloud?)

i have tried the 'double rigging line' look and made sure the instructions idea of trapping the rigging in the bottom of the strut works - it does:

33785720724_f2ce2a5ea7_z.jpg

I'll give that leading edge a trim too.

• Like 15

Good luck with the rigging Ced!

Does anyone know why this stupid forum software keeps saying 'You are not allowed to give reputation to this user' immediately as I do so....??!! 

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Jon :)

Thanks Keith :) I've had that problem before - I think it's when the forum's slow and I've clicked the 'Like' for a second time. I've logged out, closed the browser and gone in again and it's been fine. 

Third coat, one more to go:

34248438050_bf1a72e0c8_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

What are those holes in the back of the nacelles? Oil tank fillers from the reference shots. I think I'll ignore them - the caps are inside the nacelles.

At the Gloucester show tomorrow morning so probably no more until later in the day :) 

• Like 12

Steady progress, Ced :clap: Looking forward to the rigging, I've never done anything like that, so I'm very curious to see how you handle it :popcorn:

Have fun at the show

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I've had that problem before - I think it's when the forum's slow and I've clicked the 'Like' for a second time. I've logged out, closed the browser and gone in again and it's been fine. 

It's sometimes doing it 9 times out of 10 at the mo Ced & I'm definitely only pressing like once - it literally does it as I press the button and shows 'you' appearing in the like list...it just did it again when I liked your last post !! 

As little t would say....:dinosaur:

Never mind, more important things to worry about, like when will I ever finish a model again?! :D

Keith

• Like 1

Excellent progress Ced. It seems to be all coming together very nicely. Good luck when you start the rigging.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio - I've only done a Moth before so, as you're interested, I'll do a step by step (although I'm no master!)

Thanks Keith - weird! I hope it goes away for you soon :)

Thanks Stix, much appreciated :)

Tape's off after the last coat:

34476351712_7c63880237_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

A few of bits of stray paint but I'm going to declare it as good as Tamiya. Nice.

I did read this today and realised that I have the tape in the dispenser the wrong way round. Apparently it should be like this:

33828730023_13df8421f4_z.jpg

'Sticky side up' and folded back for storage. It avoids the annoying thing where the tape sticks to the cutter and also explains that cutout in the dispenser. Apparently the instructions on the packet say to do it this way - never read them! Learn something new every day...

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, CedB said:

'Sticky side up' and folded back for storage. It avoids the annoying thing where the tape sticks to the cutter and also explains that cutout in the dispenser. Apparently the instructions on the packet say to do it this way - never read them! Learn something new every day...

Me too - two things actually - firstly the correct way the tape should go in (I've always had it the wrong way round too!) & secondly that there are actually instructions on the tape packet - I've never read them either, mainly cos I've never even noticed them!!

K

• Like 1

Thanks Keith! I had planned to look at a packet while at the Gloucester show today but that'll save me the embarrassment of standing there apparently reading instructions on how to use tape! :D 

• Like 1

So why does it come with the tape the wrong way around when you buy a new packet?

I do miss model shows here, there used to be one about an hours drive away but I havn't seen it advertised for a few years.We are however having an air display at Limoges Airport in July with the Patrouille de France and some other military jets, I'm hoping for some warbirds also, we'll see.

John

• Like 1

know John, silly isn't it? Perhaps the people who assemble the dispensers can't read the Japanese instructions? Or maybe they're machine packed and it's 'more efficient'?

• Like 2

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, CedB said:

i have tried the 'double rigging line' look and made sure the instructions idea of trapping the rigging in the bottom of the strut works - it does

Your a braver man than me Ced. I didn't even attempt double rigging my 1/144th build. Maybe next time. :shutup:

It will look fantastic once you get that little lot in place.

• Like 1

That was a most pleasurable catch up Ced. All that attention to 'getting it right' in terms of white lines and decals has really paid off a treat here. Splendid, really!y splendid.

Tony

• Like 1

NICE!!!! Back in Münster tonight  and this looks like a good fixing! You'll get this right, I think. Didn't read it all by now, but tomorrow, I guess. Nice evening. Cheers Benedikt.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks John - I may regret the double rigging idea, we shall see later. Trying it on your 1/144 would have led to madness :) 

Thanks Tony, very kind and much appreciated :)

Thanks Leon - we do indeed learn something new everyday! I had great fun 'testing reaction' to this news at the Gloucester show and opinions ranged from "Ooh, interesting' through 'Really? Hmmm' to Martin from @T7 Models saying "Thanks goodness, the world is saved!" but then he does have an unusual sense of humour (nice to see you Martin!) :D 

Thanks Benedikt :)

I think today is the day. Gulp. I've made sure the struts fit and that, when the top wing half is fitted the result is acceptable:

34497465532_9ba6fe2e12_z.jpg

34528882341_b716dc9a4e_z.jpg

That rear strut had slipped, don't worry.

I have the plan*, I have the material, there's nothing else I can do on the model - time to stop procrastinating!

* "Everyone has a plan until they get hit" - Mike Tyson

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

I have the plan*, I have the material, there's nothing else I can do on the model - time to stop procrastinating!

Agreed!  :Tasty:  :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio, wait no longer! :)

Hi Martin - well, there you go :D

OK, I need to fit the struts to the bottom wing before going any further so I know where to glue the lines. One set of lines gets trapped under the front strut.

My first job was to make sure that the 'trapped' lines were the right distance apart, or roughly the right distance. I cut four lengths of the tiny lycra:

33861818963_8fa736447c_z.jpg

Well actually the medium, and I then tried to use my 'nasty cheap tape' to hold the lines apart - no chance, the lycra refused to have anything to do with it (can't blame it I suppose) and wouldn't stick. Out with the Tamiya in, of course, it's revised dispenser, sticky side OUT:

34509898172_ac0ea7fca4_z.jpg

At the risk of shaking Martin's world again I will say that it's MUCH easier - pull, tear, pull, tear - none of that pull, stuck, look for a tool, poke out the tape etc etc. I am a convert!

Trapped the lines in the front strut:

34509995022_7cc792143c_z.jpg

and then tried to fit the other struts...

I made sure that the wing root was level by taping it up to the fuselage.

Then I fitted the outer strut and pressed gently - the wing root moved, pivoting on the front strut. Rats. Repositioned.

Then I fitted the rear strut. It seems too short. Gently squeezed the wings together and the outer strut shifted. Dagnation. Repositioned and 'nasty taped' into place.

Then the wing root moved again. Repositioned. Anglo-saxon curse employed.

Rear strut positioned and wings taped there.

I had planned to use CA to glue and fill the holes but now the tape is too close to the hole. :banghead:

Extra thin applied and gently, very gently, laid on the bench to dry:

34541538391_abb6ea9d9d_z.jpg

I now need a lie down.

• Like 10

Thanks John - I started quite confidently but now... :hypnotised:

Thanks Leon - you can tell what a task this is for me by 'the mess' on my bench:

34673567875_b937724405_z.jpg

I like it to be tidy and this isn't (for me)... messy. Note the blown up reference photo next to the instructions.

Weapons at the ready (tools on display as promised Leon!):

34675188445_eebd10e338_z.jpg

with a bottle of activator at the back of the bench where, hopefully, I won't knock it over. I'm using the gel because I want a little lump at the end of the lines.

My mission, should I choose to accept it, is to fill all these holes with rigging lycra:

34632940646_3f1af67984_z.jpg

Da dah, da da, da daaah (name that tune).

Before I start, you may be asking yourself why I'm not following the kit instructions and threading the line through the lower wing first. Well, in my head, I wouldn't be able to make sure that the double lines were right if I did that AND I'd have to position the ends, under tension, at the bottom of the struts THROUGH the wing AND the other rigging. :mental: 

For anyone else mad enough to try this 'double line' malarky, here's what I think the lines do...

Looking from the front:

Outer section - top left to bottom right double goes behind the bottom left to top right double, braced where they cross with a rod thing.

Inner section - bottom left to top right goes between the lines nacelle to top left, braced where they cross with a rod thing.

Centre section (back to front) - single line back bottom (fnaar!) to front top, double back top to front bottom (fnaar fnaar!!) joined at centre by little round thing. Right, off we go.

(Some time later...)

34635259376_21b9f39745_z.jpg

33866134343_8fbb320e24_z.jpg

34676152935_895b8fb964_z.jpg

There's something weird about the lycra - it doesn't appear to 'hold' activator and I don't want to put it on the paint as it spreads, a lot. I've had to resort to a blob of CA on the model, poking the line end into it, holding the line at the right angle and then trying to put a drop of activator on. Waiting for the CA to dry 'naturally' takes too long for my old hands. 

Anyway, my theory for the next step is that if I make sure the twin lines are separate and then, from the 'inside of the wing', pull one line one way and the other in the opposite direction I should get a 'hole width' separation. In theory. Then I can glue it under tension.

Drained now. More later.

• Like 14