Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

When Procopius was over here for the BoB 75th we met 06/24 at Duxford and had a trip in the Rapide. I bought the Heller kit there and promised to build it as the one we flew in:

33578232925_36aaae9e55_z.jpg

Look at those stripes... I wish we'd flown in the silver one now :( 

I'm using the Heller kit with KPE PE. Off we go.

First problem was that the wings are connected to the sprue with an overlapping gate and they need careful cutting:

33167185424_a951e55521_z.jpg

If they haven't fallen off already. Then I decided to get the i/p out of the way:

33881106681_0daa57663a_z.jpg

Nice, but tiny (yes, those are 1cm squares). After sanding the plastic flat I used Gator's Grip Thin to stick it all together which, I hope, will have the added benefit of simulating the glass in the dials:

33625278270_15e229624d_z.jpg

Macro shot's a bit fuzzy on the edges but it gives you the idea. Nice.

• Like 18

Straight in the front row.... :D 

I've built one of these for a relative but have another in the stash for myself.

I've flown in both Duxford examples. The tail wheel burst on landing when I was flying in it. Didn't actually notice it in truth!

• Like 2

This sounds like a fascinating diversion from the usual subjects :Tasty:  I'm in :popcorn: 

Great job on the IP so far, it must be really tiny :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 1

Me too!

I have a Rapide story for you, well I would wouldn't I?

When I worked at Liverpool Airport I joined the local flying club as I had a PPL in those days, and the owner, Jim Keene bought a Rapide to use for navigation training. One day he asked me if I'd like some free flying and suggested that if I washed the Rapide he would give me a free hour each time I did it, and as I was always short of cash I readily accepted. I  only did it 2 or 3 times as it took a whole day each time and I always came away wet and filthy. 

He also offered me a flight in it but a couple of days before it was due, one of a local Sky Diving team put a boot through the lower wing in his haste to get out ( I never understood why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane ), and before it was repaired I was posted to Manchester.

John

PS  if you're getting bored with my stories please tell me, and I'll post them on someone else's thread.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Lovely to see this one build, i have flown in it in 1997..

We had such a stiff crosswind that i could see the grass runway from my right seat trough the left passenger windows.

Maybe needless to say that we where the last flight of the day..

The landing was nevertheless smooth..

• Like 5

Hi Phil and welcome :) Burst tailwheel, crikey!

Thanks Giorgio and welcome :)

Hi John and welcome :) PLEASE continue with the stories, I love 'em. I'm a time-lapsed PPL so they're of great interest.

Hi janneman36 and welcome :) During our finals the pilot did a very cheeky side slip to lose height - I thought I'd video'd it but had my usual problem with iPhone videos; it didn't start and when I 'pressed the record button' again took a great video of my lap. Rats. I guess flying these with a full load and tiny flaps is, er, interesting.

Hi Phil and welcome :) Thin tape. Good idea - see below.

The plastic on this kit is interesting eh? Very springy and quite soft. Oh joy. I'm not sure the floor should be this bent?

33171537364_bc199f8528_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

There's also a record number of ejector marks in the internals:

33202191413_3972543055_z.jpg

Must be the soft plastic. 

Some time ago I photographed the fuselage and scaled the picture of the real aircraft to give me some options for the stripes:

33629398710_88fce87c71_z.jpg

This allowed me to measure the scale width of the stripes:

34015036295_b02856fa47_z.jpg

Stop laughing you lot! I reckon that's oooh, narrow. Practicality tells me it's 0.7mm - they obviously used 'industry standard' 1/72 masking tape and scaled it up - not.

I've ordered some 0.4 and 0.7mm Micron masking tape from Valiant Wings where it seems to be very good value - grab some while they have stock!

• Like 14

Using various instruments of destruction I've attacked the ejector marks:

34016115625_28708d035b_z.jpg

and applied some Liquid Green Stuff:

33975048416_c4e4d1007e_z.jpg

I might brush paint the internals for a laugh. Reference shot:

33853466292_79b52c6372_z.jpg

Which balding Gentleman is me? Ha ha, fooled you, I'm wearing a hat.

What's that Lassie? Someone's fallen down the well? No? Escape hatch. There's an escape hatch. Not on the model. From that photo it looks like a clear window but from the reference shots it's not really visible on the outside. Right, I'll ignore it then.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

( I never understood why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane )

Me neither, always thought it a very odd idea!

A Rapide giving pleasure flights from Swansea's Fairwood airport was the first aerplane I ever flew in, when my late dad treated us to a trip - thanks dad, for my lifelong love of aviation! 

Anyway Ced, the software says your OP was 7 hours ago, & you've done more in that time than I have in  the last 7 days. Soon be finished then!

And that Aizu tape is lovely stuff, don't think you'll be disappointed!

Keith

• Like 4

I say Ced. A handsome subject and a nice personal backstory. Watching this with relish.

BTW, if those white stripes become a pain to paint, I've some white decal I can send you over to cut to size.

Good luck with this!

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks DAG and welcome :)

Hi John! Nice to see you :) I bought some stripes at Telford, Xtradecal XPS2 but, as you say, it leaves me with the tapered ends.

Hi Stix and welcome :) 

Hi Keith, good to have you along and I'm glad the subject brings back memories :) 

Hi Rob and welcome - they're nice Rapides aren't they :) 

Hi Tony and welcome - thanks for the decal offer - I have some too but cutting very thin strips has never been beyond me. Might be worth a try later :) 

• Like 2

Flying in this Rapide remains one of my most treasured memories -- as we taxied, we passed Spitfire after Spitfire all lined up, and for one incredible moment, it was 1944. Some people live their whole lives without that kind of magic entering it, but not me.

• Like 13

Thanks Keith :) Certainly is a great view.

Internals given a couple of coats but need more attention (including re-painting the cockpit IG):

33183303604_94af7a2190_z.jpg

We're off to a wedding today so I doubt that I'll have much more time.

• Like 11

Lovely story and subject Ced. That IP looks great too. If you get stuck with decal woes you could paint the stripe section first then cut a couple of slivers of Tamiya tape as masks, you could even draw and cut the tapered end this way, then spray the main colour. Easy:huh: probably. I think someone said this on your mossie thread too. :lol: which ever way happens I'll get some :popcorn: and watch with wonder.

Great stuff. Have a nice time at the wedding.

johnny

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I've long been a fan of the Dragon Rapide (even the name is brilliant!

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

the name itself is a stand out.

:D Absolutely. The Dragon Rapide sounds like the perfect name for an interwar cocktail. I must consult the drinks cabinet in the name of science - I shall keep careful notes in case anything happens to me, so that others may follow my work....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1