Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

1 minute ago, giemme said:

Ced, are you using a flat brush?

It looks like you need a few more coats, till the coverage is even - but you have to use a flat brush.

Ciao

Seconded. In my experience flat brushes make a huge difference to laying an even coat, particularly Acrylics 

• Like 2

Thirded, flat brushes are a must. I also use filbert brushes ( flat but with rounded tip like a make-up brush ) for going around the curves of a camouflage scheme without leaving too much buildup of paint.

just keep on keeping on with the layers.

John

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio, Jon and John.

Coat Four. Yep, using a flat Tamiya Modelling brush and I've just found the wider one hiding in the rack:

34326752862_0266e5278c_z.jpg

I've also thinned the paint in the pot with Humbrol thinners - it's dropping off (just) the mixer nicely now. Almost there. The nacelles are looking good:

34356402481_c91eb5d42f_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I can't really start on the fuselage until the transfers arrive as I need to get the spacing right.

Hopefully they'll be here on Tuesday.

Perhaps I need to start something else.

Or maybe do some jobs for Mrs B .

• Like 11

7 hours ago, CedB said:

The whole things been sprayed with white Stynylrez so hopefully it's grabbing.

D'oh - if I'd managed to remember what I'd read a few hours before!

Steady as she goes Ced, looks like it's getting there.

• Like 1

Almost there with the nacelles, Ced :clap:

Start something else? :frantic: Hold on a minute, will you? We can't quite keep up! :D

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Ced. You seem to be making great progress. Don't panic about the blue paint - I always find blue paint to be one of the worst to build up evenly - it just takes time and very thinned paint.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Thanks Cookie and Giorgio :)

Thanks Stix - great to have you overseeing this - I aspire to your brushed finishes.

Coat five. i think the nacelles and certainly the struts are done. Perhaps one more coat on the wings:

34332397242_e11693068d_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 10

It's a gloss paint my chum so needs more coats, I would say giving it a micromesh now and then will level out the brush marks. But only do that after an overnight cure, also with raised detail it will highlight these so be careful! Also white paint under a dark gloss coat will mean you have your work cut out, it literally shines through. One other little thing, I don't like flow improvers for brush painting I just cut mine with water.

looks like you have done a great job to be fair Ced, you have jumped in feet first with brush painting gloss. Give it a good rub down and it will come up a treat.

if that's any help....

Looking good

rob

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio, Johnny and Stew - oh, how I miss airbrushing!

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

It's a gloss paint my chum so needs more coats, I would say giving it a micromesh now and then will level out the brush marks. But only do that after an overnight cure, also with raised detail it will highlight these so be careful! Also white paint under a dark gloss coat will mean you have your work cut out, it literally shines through. One other little thing, I don't like flow improvers for brush painting I just cut mine with water.

looks like you have done a great job to be fair Ced, you have jumped in feet first with brush painting gloss. Give it a good rub down and it will come up a treat.

if that's any help....

Looking good

rob

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I think it was Rob who put me on to making the last coat thin ( he called it a 1/2 coat ) and it worked really well for me.

As the others have said it's looking really good now.

John

Thanks Rob and John. It looks fine from a distance but not close up:

33660505794_ed6a0aeba6_z.jpg

Not too obvious brush marks but what are those bubbles / lumps? Weird. I'm not sure what 'a good rub down' means in this context (fnaar!) but I did give it a going over with 8000 Micro-mesh, trying NOT to end up with white ribs:

34461729276_72291574b4_z.jpg

Then I thinned some paint 50/50 with Humbrol thinners and brushed it on:

34342800892_013da908c6_z.jpg

Not surprisingly it hasn't covered very well and I got more bubbles so I may do another thin coat later.

Weird stuff this H15 Blue - it looks dark but it stains, really stains, the brushes 'light teal'.

My patience is being tested - not much left!

Hannants have despatched the RAF transfers but no news from Fantasy yet.

I think some time on house jobs is required today.

• Like 13

That's a bit like tamiya royal gloss blue, it's almost like an ink. Really nice blue though. I have to say the bubbles might be from using thinners, water has never failed me yet... it's also very cost effective :). You didn't go easy on yourself with the paint choice for a foray into brush painting Ced, but it's turning out well!!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks Rob :) As suggested I'm doing 'half coats' and another has gone on just now:

33704314503_8ee5c0511f_z.jpg

33704467473_3d2544fb2c_z.jpg

Enough already. I'll just have to fiddle now until the transfers arrive. Talk amongst yourselves...

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Beard said:

That's an open goal.

Your self-control is an example to us all Beard.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Talk amongst yourselves...

Steady patient work on building up the colour there Ced. Hope yer badges turn up for you soon. Have you decided what's up next after this yet?

Tony

• Like 4

Great restraint Simon, good man :D

Thanks Tony :) Despite the Hannants 'despatched' email on Saturday I've had another this morning with tracking information (they insist on 'signed for' if you use Paypal) so I guess they won't be here soon. To keep me busy I've opened the box on a DH60 Gypsy Moth, another kind donation from Phil (HP42). Amy Johnson's 'Jason'. Nice subject.

I have done a bit of fiddling this morning and then did some more on the Rapide (fnaar fnaar!)

First up, blades for the pressurisation prop. Just need to select some strip:

33718391993_fdabd032c4_z.jpg

Tip: don't clean your cutting mat with cellulose thinners - it cleans off the grid! I may get another but the blank area does stop my iPhone camera fitting on the lines. Some strip selected and a length measured against a window which my reference shot shows is about the same size. Glued on with Gator's Grip:

34487681216_181869376d_z.jpg

I'll take a macro shot when it's finished. Maybe.

I dry fitted the lower wing and there's a problem caused by the fuselage warpage:

34487714256_92455d91f3_z.jpg

Easily cured with some careful shaving and a nice fit achieved:

33718600913_cac0f40901_n.jpg 34487787916_88716b1a57_n.jpg

Top wing fits nicely with a bit of shaving:

34143506290_93c9dec661_z.jpg

Exhausts drilled out and fitted:

34487953886_37a2d7ab1e_z.jpg

Now put to one side until the transfers arrive. Hit the pause button...

• Like 14