Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

Thanks Simon - yes, I've sent them a message. I think the seller just copy and pasted the description from the bigger set. Ho hum.

Thanks Stew. My fault for expecting too much from the small nozzle I think.

Thanks Tony - you're right, it is trying my patience and the next task is masking the stripes... thanks for the supportive vibes!

I checked Paul's build again for things I might have missed and noticed his comment about too many windows. Sure enough, G-AKIF doesn't have the last window on the port side. Luckily it's the one behind the door and cutting the PE nicely emphasised the door join:

34414910716_fea170ea97_z.jpg

Filled with some PPP:

34325879431_f5d99f9fd1_z.jpg

I have to admit I did that after a visit to the pub. Obviously I had my beer goggles on because, this morning, it's not as good as it looked last night:

34325884721_eeedc67a92_z.jpg

That'll get a sanding and tidy up and then I must start on the strips and idents - if I can't get those right it will have to go in the bin change its identity.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Beard said:

Using a spatula to apply PPP, that's a neat idea.

I do that myself and I find it a lot easier to work with. Obviously Ced already knew, he's the Tools Master :worthy::D 

Ciao

• Like 4

Thanks Simon and Giorgio - the spatula, bought from an art shop (cheap) is really good for spreading and can also be used damp to smooth out.

I've had a scrape this morning and, using Bill's wet sanding method, cleaned up the window a bit:

34463373475_383e257057_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll see what that looks like with some primer on, then I need to plan the masking.

• Like 11

Thanks Jon, I'm certainly hoping so!

Thanks Keith.

The model is now ready for the stripe masking:

34424413056_c941b983f9_z.jpg

Sadly, I'm not... bit hungover. I think I need a coat of 'something white' down the panel between the lines. Also, have you noticed that, as well as the bendy bits at the front, the rear stripes taper off towards the tail:

De_Havilland_DH89A_Dragon_Rapide_G-AKIF_

(Photo by Tony Hisgett on Flickr - thanks Tony)

Lots more pictures on Flickr by the way. Won't help with the masking, sadly!

• Like 4

Two steps forward...

I bought a set of X72-129 white serials for this at Telford last year. The smallest letters are 16". 

34426488296_fe506df07d_z.jpg

Too big. Rats. Could I get away with it?

34083015740_887756a6d4_z.jpg

No then.

Using my digital calliper I measured the image letters (4.45mm) and the 16" decals (5.85mm) and, given that the next nearest decals available are 12" (three-quarters 16") I reckoned that 5.85 * 0.75 = 4.39ish so they might be OK. I've ordered a sheet of X48045 from Hannants, first class post. I bet they're not here tomorrow.

On a more positive note, something white has been used on the bits that are white and the panel that will have the stripes:

34468525225_806e3ebf74_z.jpg

What a drama queen.

• Like 10

Nice work on the window filling Ced, we'll never know it was there.

Ventura also make nice serial letter sets with lots of sizes should the need arise again.

Good luck on the stripes. They're a deceptively complicated shape - curved and tapered. Maybe print out the shot above to the right 'zoom' and use it as a kind of template? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I reckoned that 5.85 * 0.75 = 4.39ish so they might be OK. I've ordered a sheet of X48045 from Hannants

Hi Ced,

Alternatively, if those should prove unsuitable for some reason, perhaps this?

I suspect this particular build is turning out to be a lot more involved and even, perhaps, irritating than you imagined it would be when you started; however it is an extremely worthy project and I am sure you will feel very proud of it once it is completed... *nods sagely*

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I find it significant that Buddhist teaching says nothing of note about modelling. Some builds would have doubtless had Buddha cursing like a docker....

Hang in there Ced, I know this'll be a cracking good job in the end!

Tony

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

. Some builds would have doubtless had Buddha cursing like a docker....

:rofl::rofl: That almost made me chuckle :D:D

Ciao

• Like 4

You could always make some masks for the reggie letters Ced....:coat:

Seriously, I do hope the masking goes to plan as I really don't want this to go in the bin as the result of my daft suggestion....:huh:

Keith

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nice work on the window filling Ced, we'll never know it was there.

Ventura also make nice serial letter sets with lots of sizes should the need arise again.

Good luck on the stripes. They're a deceptively complicated shape - curved and tapered. Maybe print out the shot above to the right 'zoom' and use it as a kind of template? 

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

Sounds like cookie is on to a winner with that advice, good luck Ced!!

Rob

Thanks Cookie and Rob. Although perspective spoils it the photo is already sized to the model... cutting out the picture and using your idea of re-mount for templates is a good one... but I have the tape and some ideas and I also plan to brush paint it so I'm worried the paper won't stand up to thinned paint. Perhaps I could use film if the tape doesn't work :hmmm: 

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Ced,

Alternatively, if those should prove unsuitable for some reason, perhaps this?

I suspect this particular build is turning out to be a lot more involved and even, perhaps, irritating than you imagined it would be when you started; however it is an extremely worthy project and I am sure you will feel very proud of it once it is completed... *nods sagely*

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, great link. Fantasy Printshop didn't turn up on my searches but those 4.5mm decals look perfect - I've ordered some and we'll see how they compare when they arrive. Sadly I think this'll be next week so I need to find something for the weekend, sir.

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I find it significant that Buddhist teaching says nothing of note about modelling. Some builds would have doubtless had Buddha cursing like a docker....

Hang in there Ced, I know this'll be a cracking good job in the end!

Tony

3 hours ago, giemme said:

:rofl::rofl: That almost made me chuckle :D:D

Ciao

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

+2 

Simon

:rofl: (I really don't like the new rofl emoticon... worth looking up >) :rofl:

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You could always make some masks for the reggie letters Ced....:coat:

Seriously, I do hope the masking goes to plan as I really don't want this to go in the bin as the result of my daft suggestion....:huh:

Keith

Thanks Keith. I've thought about masking the letters but crikey, they're small. Don't worry, I don't think I'll be binning it now that the decal problem seems to be resolved :) 

I have, however, decided to try brush painting this. 'In the old days' I slopped on the paint as thickly as I needed to cover in one coat but now I know it should be thinned and, possibly, micro-meshed between coats. OK, thin the H15 with a drop or two of flow improver and:

33665690423_f69d491cc9_z.jpg

33665690943_7f56330bdf_z.jpg

Yes, it was stirred, but perhaps not enough? Should I be panicking? Not very dark blue is it? Perhaps some Cookie's magic thinner for the next coat? Rob's 'dip the brush in water' method?

• Like 4

Thanks Nigel - I'm finding it's a 'discipline', applying the thin paint and NOT trying to get a good coverage as I would with the airbrush. I don't know how they do it!

Thanks Cookie - thanks for the tip but I've already cheated! The whole things been sprayed with white Stynylrez so hopefully it's grabbing.

Coat two:

34096642660_986e4d0a40_z.jpg

Is that getting better? Please tell me it's getting better. I know Stix does about four coats so I won't panic - yet!

• Like 7

Dipping in and out of this one. Looking very interesting Ced. Now I know why I did the silver one, much easier to paint. :nodding:

I'm wondering how you'll manage the stripes, so very best of luck. :idea:

• Like 1

Thanks Phil :) Stripes are my nemesis...

I'm going to start with Aizu micron tape - even that needs to be cut - and if that fails I'll try cutting out the image and using paper templates. Fingers crossed.

Coat three:

33640808054_2b7eec6561_z.jpg

Crikey, these brush painters have some patience. I'm starting to see some progress, but I need to watch out for brush marks:

33673284913_f8b43dc71c_z.jpg

Looks OK?

• Like 6

Ced, are you using a flat brush?

It looks like you need a few more coats, till the coverage is even - but you have to use a flat brush.

Edit: you probably need to thin your paint a bit more

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3