Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

On 22/04/2017 at 16:05, Nigel Heath said:

Thanks for the laughs from the figures. The factory that produces them should be commended for employing so many blind people. The PE window surrounds are most effective, definitely worth the money.

You're very welcome Sir! The figures actually proved to be a bit of a mojo killer for me; forcing myself to the bench, getting out the scalpel and shaving the thighs off another poor victim. I think it was the screams that put me off...

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

How did you manage to stick your phone to your thumb...?! 

K

:D The ring bit has now been stuck back on the 'phone, with some small drops of CA (it's out of warranty)

11 hours ago, KevinK said:

One possible use for the extra figures:

Of course, there is extra rigging involved.

Thanks Kevin - a bevy of beauties indeed.

Finally I now have eight figures for the passengers that fit into the seats:

33410914073_b1ae230292_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The little green bits on the figures on the right are Green Stuff (non liquid) for the peaks on PC's and my baseball caps. Oh yes they are!

Hopefully I can now get some paint on these and we can see just how awful they are (pilot excepted) before they are forever closed up in their plastic mausoleum. 

Death's too good for them.

• Like 13

Thanks Giorgio, very kind :)

Thanks Simon - appreciate the link. Yep, I'd spent ages poring (pawing?) over the pages on that site but I couldn't find any sets that had more than a couple of useful figures in and the single ones were weird too... the cheap ones are almost there... I stuck them on their painting sticks just now:

34184129616_5e161a5f1e_z.jpg

You know the abs / body change figures? I think I owe him an apology. Getting closer while under surgery I think it might be a bloke with binoculars:

33382816924_c882bc3639_z.jpg

Not a lady then. I obviously need more practice in shape recognition BUT I don't recommend actively pursuing this as "Sorry Officer, I was just checking to see if they were binoculars" sounds like a very poor excuse.

• Like 13

Bit late I know, but none of them look bald enough for me. I should also point out, as a gentleman of distinguished proportions (read fat...) the troubles you have fitting them seem to remind me of the squeeze in the entrance to the cabin. I seem to recall the ignominy of being weighed too, or did I dream (nightmare?) that. 

Also how splendid that our pilot is along for the ride. Thank you sir for a thoroughly wonderful experience, as my fellow passengers have already hinted, it was an experience that will remain with us for ever. 

• Like 2

On 20/04/2017 at 7:02 PM, CedB said:

The trip to the LMS (Frome Model Centre - why isn't there a shop in Bath?!!)...

It would make Bath just about perfect if there was a model shop and give me another reason to visit. The short walk up the hill to the Frome Model Centre is kind of beneficial to creaking modellers like myself though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

... none of them look bald enough for me

Jon! Glad you found it :) 

I have three, er, wonderfully sanded heads on the bench (I had my hat on - ha ha!) so watch this space!

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

... as a gentleman of distinguished proportions...

Not now, sorry, I've had the scalpels out!

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

I seem to recall the ignominy of being weighed too, or did I dream (nightmare?) that.

i think you're right but, I guess, the reason I was at the front of the cabin, close to the CofG was because I won the weigh in?

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I look like I've eaten all the pie.

I refer you, young Egbert, to the photo of the three of us - I don't think there's much doubt who got to the pies first!

Thanks for the photos Jon - it was indeed a great day, one of the best :D

1 hour ago, Avereda said:

It would make Bath just about perfect if there was a model shop and give me another reason to visit. The short walk up the hill to the Frome Model Centre is kind of beneficial to creaking modellers like myself though.

Thanks Avereda - it would indeed. You're lucky in Salisbury to have two!

I've overcome the walk up the hill - a sneaky drive down Catherine Street from the top gets you into the few spaces next to the shop - or park outside and run in for emergencies!

• Like 4

I seem to recall, a long,long time ago (no, not the day the music died) that there was a nice little model shop in Bath, called something like 'Wings & Wheels'? Guess it became extinct about the same time as the dinosaurs....?

Keith

• Like 1

Hi Keith - I don't remember that shop but then I had quite a few years where I wouldn't have been looking. There was always 'The Modeller's Den' which also, sadly, closed some years ago.

Finally the figures are ready to go in. I went through a lot of the paint stash to vary the colours and even opened some previously unused cans to find strange results:

34081814212_eb18ffbf3d_z.jpg

It was VERY thick - the Badger mixer struggled - so perhaps some pigment is left in the bottom but I don't think so. It's the 'Azure Blue' can of worms all over again.

Brian's figure is OK, I think:

34112821491_c458cf0525_z.jpg

but the terrible trio are variable:

34243102845_3be783c499_z.jpg

Sorry Jon! PC looks 'not too bad':

33432789203_b7572dc5fb_z.jpg

and is exercising his rights under the Second Amendment (the right to bare arms). I did waste a few minutes trying to make some specs from thin wire but gave up. Jon's pate looks OK:

33432779553_5edf49f71f_z.jpg

but his face and mine leave a lot to be desired - on the figures, cheeky - like details. Ho hum.

Other passengers:

33401993534_9f26c285f5_z.jpg

33402003284_ce9d578770_z.jpg

and a final close up of the cockpit PE:

34113013111_ee5b999791_z.jpg

I'm going to have some problems fitting the i/p but hey, that's nothing new.

I have to say these figures have been a bit of a mojo dampener so I'm looking forward to getting them in and getting on with the build!

• Like 15

This is one of the favorite parts of the flying for me. I love watching people's reactions. Often (and not unnaturally) apprehensive when getting in, and then big grins when we get back. I'm lucky to fly the Harvard too and almost everybody comes back with what I call "The T6 grin", which takes quite a while to wear off😁!

Glad you guys enjoy it. If you plan another trip to Duxford sometime, please feel free to pm me and if I'm around and I'm not flying I'd be happy to show you around some of our aircraft.

• Like 6

Figure painting an be hard at times, especially if it is representing someone you know.

I have got to say that your figure looks like you`re wearing one of those virtual reality headsets.

Still, better than I can do.

Nearly ready to button up.

Simon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

Thanks for giving me all that hair, i will forgive you for surgery you performed on my posterior 😳!

3 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

This is one of the favorite parts of the flying for me. I love watching people's reactions. Often (and not unnaturally) apprehensive when getting in, and then big grins when we get back. I'm lucky to fly the Harvard too and almost everybody comes back with what I call "The T6 grin", which takes quite a while to wear off😁!

Glad you guys enjoy it. If you plan another trip to Duxford sometime, please feel free to pm me and if I'm around and I'm not flying I'd be happy to show you around some of our aircraft.

Thanks Brian! That's a very kind offer and I'd certainly love to come up and have a look around - a PM will be sent! (I hope you don't regret the offer!)

Thanks Stew, Cookie, Simon and Rob - you're all very kind at it never ceases to amaze me how fellow BMers sense a mojo loss and gather round to provide support. great stuff, thanks mates. With renewed mojo I decided to take on the next problem... this fits:

33437752413_ea1d658c26_z.jpg

and this fits:

34117627871_226d105665_z.jpg

more or less BUT - and it's a big but (sorry, I never tire of that one) :

34091008022_834184737e_z.jpg

Zaggen razzen fraggen i/p. 

I tried to dry fit it, held in place with BluTak (Giorgio in my head) and with latex glue (Copydex) but no dice - too small a join. I like the latex glue because it peels off without damage:

34091166132_eac9046e73_z.jpg

but it wasn't strong enough, or quick-drying enough, to hold the part in place so I remembered the advice from BM that CA will shear off (I use that when glueing parts to sticks for painting) so I've put a small drop on:

33864416190_f6a2e9199e_z.jpg

I'll let you know how the fitting goes later but i think I can get the pilots legs under there and the canopy on. Besides, I think that location is much better than the kit build that would have the i/p under the fuselage lip.

• Like 10

Wow Ced, lots of stuff to catch up with! Excellent work with Brian's figure, and given the sculpt quality, the three mini-you (meaning you guys that enjoyed that flight) are also OK.

Tricky fitting for the IP, but I'm sure you will prevail :) 

Ciao

• Like 1

That was a joy to catch up on Ced; this thread has been a pleasure right from the start. A great aircraft, great modelling and great banter. The holy trinity, as far as I'm concerned.:D

Tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

PC looks 'not too bad':and is exercising his rights under the Second Amendment (the right to bare arms).

OK, who's hidden the ''groan'' icon....?! :D

I think there's a remarkable likeness in all those figures Ced (well there will be when they're up on the ceiling...!! :winkgrin:)

Good work!

Keith

• Like 4

Wow! I can't believe you've made a p type compass, does it work as well?! Personally I hate the things so would be most happy for my 1/72 self if it didn't fit and had to leave it out. If you do manage to squeeze it in you might notice a frown appearing on the pilots face as he wonders which way he's heading🤔!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, brianj1uk said:

It's gonna be a busy 2019.

• Like 4