Duxford Rapide G-AKIF ++ Finished ++

CedB

Thanks Johnny - I like to think that bringing a little humour into my posts hides the mess I'm making of the kit... I hope it's working!? :D 

Right, I've slept on it. It's still a bit numb but the feeling is coming back, slowly.

Having searched the 'net I have doubts that the scale (OO = 1/76 and HO = 1/87) bears any relation to the actual size of the figures and I'm nervous that, if I order some HO figures, that they'll turn out to be exactly the same as the ones I have; they do look suspiciously similar. Mrs B needs a lift into town and I may take the long way back and visit the LMS with a couple of the boys to see what they have. If that doesn't work out then some surgery does give an OK result...

Rapide interior reference shot:

34112001926_f573bf1454_z.jpg

Ced's model, including recovering patients:

33853466292_79b52c6372_z.jpg

(Yes, that mix up was an attempt at humour). Side shot:

34112009446_2009e30d96_z.jpg

They are just a tiny bit too big. ( @rob85 the 'Fast Show' video has gone! Rats! Others; there was a sketch from the Fast Show showing 'stop motion' film production. It was hilarious, but you probably had to be there see it)

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I like to think that bringing a little humour into my posts hides the mess I'm making of the kit... I hope it's working!? :D 

I, for one, certainly appreciate it :rofl::rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1

I just caught up on this after a very long flight through the night, whilst in th quiet section of the train. Thank you for making me go as pink as some of those people whilst trying not to laugh! Best laugh out loud moment I've had in quite some time😂!

• Like 1

Thanks Giorgio, Leon and Brian - glad you like the humour, I'll try to keep it up (fnaar fnaar!) :D

The trip to the LMS (Frome Model Centre - why isn't there a shop in Bath?!!) and a fondle of their figures resulted in the purchase of 24 Slaters seated figures:

34162275535_3ea98c737c_z.jpg

Actually eight figures three times over. Ho hum. All of the figures are in old-style clothes:

33319709644_669f593613_z.jpg

It's almost as though they were designed for people modelling in the steam age... oh no, wait, steam trains, got it. There is a limited range that I can get my hands on and the scale thing (OO / HO / 4mm), as discussed with the lady in the shop, doesn't help with the actual size - she thinks the ones I have are 4mm like the Slaters but most are fatter. I think this might do for me:

34004810112_b22b6547bb_z.jpg

with the bowler brim sanded to a peaked cap. I'm thinking of this one for @Procopius :

34004817402_427802c448_z.jpg

as it's the closest I can get to his Clark Kent good looks. I don't think these will get used:

34004823302_5c1447a638_z.jpg

unless I can think of a build / joke that includes a Soldier, a Sailor and a Nun. :hmmm:

The pilot figures have been despatched from Hannants so figure painting is imminent and the masking tape is on its way.

I'd better get on with it.

• Like 12

1 minute ago, CedB said:

I'm thinking of this one for @Procopius :

34004817402_427802c448_z.jpg

as it's the closest I can get to his Clark Kent good looks.

I think he looks a little more like another rather famous ace reporter:

Boutique-tintin.jpg

• Like 4

I think I've got similar figures only standing up. The paint is gaudy to say the least and as already eluded to, I think a child may well have done it.

I don't think you'll see much through the glass anyway, so I'd not spent too much time on the passengers, pilot perhaps...?  When I made mine I think I sprayed the outer edge of the fuselage, added clear acetate from inside as the glass, closed up the fuselage, masked off the window area from outside with one single strip either side before giving an all over spray. Looked ok from what I remember? :idea:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I don`t know about you Ced, but that sailor looks like he is doing something?

It's on account of the woman to his right displaying her haggis.

Ced, those last two pages of figurative psychedelia have made me bellow with laughter. Wonderful. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard at very small people. 

Are you deliberately making this aircraft look even more attractive so that I'm forced to buy one as well?

Keep it up!

Tony

• Like 4

Thanks PC - awww, does that mean he doesn't get your vote? You need to be quick - hopefully there'll be some paint tomorrow, then we can decide :)

Thanks Simon, Keith and Tony - you know what they say about Sailors don't you - show 'em your Haggis and watch your Neeps and Tatties! At least I think that's what they say.

Tony please don't feel obliged to buy one until you see how it turns out... you know you'll only want to build your own passengers!

Thanks Phil - you're right, I should just get on with the never-to-be-seen-again-through-the-windows passengers. I'm expecting a nice pilot figure in the post from Hannants any day now and he (Brian, of course) will receive the required attention!

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

So how many more Rapides will you need to build to use all the figures? It would be a shame to waste them, and some appear to be in contemporary clothing for the era.

John

Thanks John. Let's see, 50 - 8 plus 24... carry one, take away the first number you thought of... er, lots?

Surgery on the figures tomorrow. They will fit in the seats. Or else.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CedB said:

(A) joke that includes a Soldier, a Sailor and a Nun...

There must be one out there somewhere, dammit - there simply must!

I have to say Ced that old-fashioned toggery notwithstanding the new figures are a vast improvement on the previous candidates :)

Hopefully they'll fit better too...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Stew :) The pilot surgery has been a bit delayed today (see below) but they WILL fit!

Hi John - keeping it clean is always difficult (fnaar!)

The pilot figures appeared this morning along with the masking tape. I had a quick panic when I counted the figures and arms:

33336023134_1a796e4657_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

but then realised that the two right-hand figures have a right arm 'at rest'. Phew.

I've chosen the left hand one, removed the control column and tried the fit:

34138197616_e373aa7e89_n.jpg 34047704561_aac0ffb886_n.jpg

Too tall. Sorry Brian, but your bottom is going to get more attention than you would probably be comfortable with... I'll also lower the seat a bit so that's come out:

34047929031_c9b5a76c13_z.jpg

Over the pub tonight with the usual crowd so it may be a slow start tomorrow.

• Like 13

18 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks PC - awww, does that mean he doesn't get your vote? You need to be quick - hopefully there'll be some paint tomorrow, then we can decide :)

Oh no, it should be fine! 

• Like 2

Thanks PC :) 

I had some time whilst listening to 'The News Quiz' so I attacked the pilot's bottom and the bottom of the seat:

34050667571_abde38307c_n.jpg 33339027764_f405113a92_n.jpg

and now the pilot AND the canopy fits:

33797208020_74ba9daca7_z.jpg

I also started bashing the new paint mule together:

33339291904_dea66ab3fa_z.jpg

Nasty, but it'll do its job.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, CedB said:

The pilot figures appeared this morning along with the masking tape. I had a quick panic when I counted the figures and arms:

33336023134_1a796e4657_z.jpg

Is that figure on the left a bona fide pilot or actually Trevor Horn from The Buggles singing Video Killed the Radio Star....?

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

Cedric!

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Seconded! Behave! :rofl::rofl:

Sorry Egbert and Giorgio! Regular readers will know I only get called Cedric when I'm in trouble! :) 

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Is that figure on the left a bona fide pilot or actually Trevor Horn from The Buggles singing Video Killed the Radio Star....?

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Trevor , deffo Trevor. ;)

Thanks guys - now I have an ear worm...

Nothing much to report. Recovery from last night's festivities and then some more figure fiddling:

33386795203_448c90210f_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've chopped so many bits off I think I could open a liposuction clinic. I could call it 'Imminent Dis-assed-her'. 

• Like 11

One bit of luck.

You remember I lost the magnetic ring for the macro lens from the back of my iPhone? I took the phone out of my shirt pocket in the pub last night and it was stuck to my thumb!

Now glued back on the 'phone. :) 

• Like 6

Thanks for the laughs from the figures. The factory that produces them should be commended for employing so many blind people. The PE window surrounds are most effective, definitely worth the money.

• Like 4