Non RAF/Luftwaffe/USAAF subjects

Lawzer

Folks,

although it will take me months to get through the kits I have I'm turning my attention to subjects other than above.  I know nothing at all about French, Italian, Polish (other than the Polish RAF machines), Russian (other than the IL2) or indeed any other country's aircraft.

My question is what should I go for (not specifically which kit maker) in this area?  I guess there are a lot of good options out there but don't know where to start.

1/48th is my game ;)

As I have 3 mosquito's (soon to be) and 2 JU88's I'm kinda running out of space so probably single engined....

Any suggestions welcome :)

Cheers

Ian

Top of my head, just the more common types and manufacturers:

French

Dewoitine 520 - Tamiya

Italian

Macchi MC202/205 - Hasegawa (or Eduard rebox)

Fiat CR.42 - Italeri

Polish

PZL.11 - Mirage Hobby

Soviet

I-16 - Eduard (ICM upcoming)

I-153 - ICM

Yak-3 - Zvezda

La-5FN - Zvezda

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JasonC said:

Top of my head, just the more common types and manufacturers:

French

Dewoitine 520 - Tamiya

Italian

Macchi MC202/205 - Hasegawa (or Eduard rebox)

Fiat CR.42 - Italeri

Polish

PZL.11 - Mirage Hobby

Soviet

I-16 - Eduard (ICM upcoming)

I-153 - ICM

Yak-3 - Zvezda

La-5FN - Zvezda

Perfect - thanks!

I've seen finnish buffalos and romanian 109's (i think).

I just want to "branch out" from the usual suspects......

maybe even some kg200 aircarft but does anyone do am decals?

Edited by Lawzer

Aircraft in French hands post-WW2 came from a variety of sources - no Finnish or Romanian but they did include Japanese.

1/48 isn't my scale, but if you want something slightly less-well-trodden I know that there is a decent kit of a Romanian IAR 80.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Aircraft in French hands post-WW2 came from a variety of sources - no Finnish or Romanian but they did include Japanese.

1/48 isn't my scale, but if you want something slightly less-well-trodden I know that there is a decent kit of a Romanian IAR 80.

I'm 

Japanese?  Now that sounds interesting....probably the east though?

Edited by Lawzer

14 minutes ago, Antoine said:

You can also build French Mossie or Ju 88.

I did have the old airfix ju 88 with french makings - but it was 1/72 so i sold it.

i do have the 2 ju88's to do - 1 will certainly be a nightfighter but the other if I can get am decals sounds fun in french colours!

Hello

Fokker XXI from Special Hobby or an older D.XXI kit from Classic Airframes

Nakajima Ki.27, do not know its origin, but Hasegawa re-box is beautiful

For French in Indochina post-war possibilities are almost endless. Ki.43-II, A6M2-N, Ki.36, Spitfire, P-63 C, F6F, F8F, SBD-5 and plenty more. If one stays with more exotic types, there were Japanese Bf 108s in China, Chinese captured Japanese Ki.61s, Ki.43s, Ki.44s, Ki.84s and Indonesia used at least one captured Ki.43. Unfortunately I, too, am more at home in 1/72 waters so, apart from Eduard Bf 108, do not know enough about kits in 1/48 scale for a proper recommendation. Cheers

Jure

8 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Fokker XXI from Special Hobby or an older D.XXI kit from Classic Airframes

Nakajima Ki.27, do not know its origin, but Hasegawa re-box is beautiful

For French in Indochina post-war possibilities are almost endless. Ki.43-II, A6M2-N, Ki.36, Spitfire, P-63 C, F6F, F8F, SBD-5 and plenty more. If one stays with more exotic types, there were Japanese Bf 108s in China, Chinese captured Japanese Ki.61s, Ki.43s, Ki.44s, Ki.84s and Indonesia used at least one captured Ki.43. Unfortunately I, too, am more at home in 1/72 waters so, apart from Eduard Bf 108, do not know enough about kits in 1/48 scale for a proper recommendation. Cheers

Jure

Thanks for that! Probably none in europe?

Ian

For variety of options and markings both Finnish and Romanian are good, as are other Axis satellite nations, Hungary, Bulgaria and Slovakia, though most options are German types,though Bulgaria did have D-520 and PZL-24's early on(Mirage has various PZL-24's)

If you  want WW2 -ish, there  are some interesting options from Sweden and Portugal, both were neutral,  and I  think Sweden out  does Portugal in variety, plus they have a couple of unique Swedish types in JVSS F-22

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFVS_22  though this is resin kit territory

and SAAB J-21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAAB_21

of which Pilot Replicas do a good kit of,  and is certainly out of the ordinary. 

Mushroom Model Publications do books on "Fighter Colours"  and have done Sweden,  Portugal,  Romania,  Hungary (2 vols) Finnish (2 vols) and the ones I have are great books.(Romania, Sweden, Hungary 2) as they have very  good profiles with the photos they are based on next to them.

The Romanian on is OOP and now expensive but all the  rest can be got for about £20 via various online sellers, try Booksetc if you don't like Amazon for example, they are often a couple of quid cheaper as well.

here's a link a flick through of the Swedish book 

There are Swedish companies who do decals.   

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Australia,  usual British and US types, but also the Boomerang (tricky to build Special Hobby kit) and Wirraway, which was essentially an early Harvard with armament,  Tony  O Toole is building one right  now

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019755-148th-special-hobby-wirraway/

The RNZAF also had P-40's, Corsairs, Dauntless, Avengers, 

as for Soviet types, (VVS)   the only really decent kit of the Yak-9 is the Modelsvit one

Note, that the VVS made extensive use of Lend-lease types, for single engine types in using LOTS of  P40's,

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/p-40/p-40.html

Airacobras

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lendlease/p-39/p-39.html

and Hurricanes, note you will still see 'the VVS used the P-39 as a tank buster' all over the place, but they used them as fighters, the 2nd  highest VVS  ace Pokryshin flew them...

they had 1500 Spitfires too but pics are much rarer as they were used by  PVO units (Air Defence) and these were harder to get permission to photograph.

While tapping away,  also for something different,  Free French in Europe (Spits, P-47, P-39's, Dauntless) Italian Co-belligerent (Spits, P-39), Yugoslav partisan, (Spits, Hurricane) 

Another Neutral, Turkey, PZL-24 (Mirage, again) Hurricane,

Spitfire AND FW-190...

turkey1946.jpg?w=809

in formation no less ;)

And, how could  I forget, Greece,  with Battles, Blenhiems, Potez 633's(AZ model), PZL-24 (Mirage), and later on with Hurricane and Spitfires.

And, finally, if you want WW2-ish subjects,  and different,  early Middle East, eg 1948 Israeli  independance,   with RAF types, including the special desert scheme on Spitfire 18's and Tempests,   Egyptian Spitfires and Macchi 202's, Israeli Spitfires, Avia S-199's, Mustangs, Mosquitos,  Syrian Spitfire and Fiat G-55's.

hope this gives some food for thought.....  have a google if  any of  the above take  your fancy

cheers

T

At the risk of repeating stuff that's already been offered:

Russian: Zvezda also does a very good La-5 (earlier version of the 5FN), and the Trumpeter MiG-3, especially the late version, is one of their better kits.

Japanese: a number of very nice Hasegawa kits: Ki-44, Ki-84 (one of their best IMHO), Zeros, N1K1-Js (various versions), D3A, J2M3; new (and lovely) Tamiya Ki-61; Fine Molds Ki-43s.

You can still find the Fokker D XXI from Special hobby. There is also a Fokker D 23 from RS Models in 1/48.

If you can find a Classic Airframes D XXI then have a good look. There were two kits made by them.. The early version (with vac formed canopy and etched interior) you should stay away from. They are a bit crude and a very early type of kit from them. The second version is much better with a normal canopy and interior. It is still a short run kit, so don't expect it to be a Tamiya or hasegawa kit.

There are also plenty of Japanese models. There is also a Il-2 from Tamiya in 1/48 and Accurate miniatures also have one, but is a bit more tricky to build (also in a Italery box).

Just have a look at this site to see what is out there.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Zvezda La-5 is good, but it depends how much modelling experience you currently have. I made the mistake of doing it soon after my return to the hobby, and I struggled. But I would definitely recommend it when you are more confident. I would also recommend Tamiya Zeros rather than Hasegawa.

Italian WW2 fighters in 1/48
Macchi Mc.200: Italeri, also reboxed by Tamiya, Not the best kit in the world but decent

Mc.202 and 205: Hasegawa, typical good quality Hasegawa kits so no problem with fit. Italeri recently reboxed the 205 at a better price. Accuracy is not the best but if you don't mind this aspect then you'll have good models

Fiat G.50: Flying Machines or Special Hobby, same kit but different boxes for different variants. A modern short run, maybe not for total beginners but anyone who built a couple of kits before should be able to tackle these ones

G.55: same as the G.50 (Special Hobby did the plastic for Flying Machines that was only a brand without any own moulds)

CR.42: Italeri, good kit, purists object to the treatment of a couple of shapes but nothing that non purists would worry about

Cr.32: ok, not really a WW2 type but a number were still in service at the beginning of the war in Italy and other countries.. Special Hobby

Reggiane Re.2000: Classic Airframes, a slightly older short run that may need some experience. Italeri announced a new Re.2000 for 2017. The type was also used by Hungary who then built their own version

Re.2001:Classic Airframes only.

Re.2002: Italeri, a kit that has been heavily criticised for bad fit and several errors. Also reboxed by Tamiya

Re.2005: Flying Machines. Again a kit moulded by Special Hobby, a good short run

There were a few other single engined fighters built in very small numbers but the above are the best known ones.

Several of the subjects above can be found sold by Smer and other companies. All are from the same moulds, very old, basic, generally not particularly accurate and worst of all are in 1/50 scale. Personally I'd stay clear of these and rather look for the ones I listed

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

There's been at least four decently reviewed 1/48 Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik kits on the market:

Tamiya's 1/48 Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik is was quite favourably reviewed when it came out and is considered the best Shturmovik kit by many:

Eduard's Shturmovik also went over well, but contanied Eduard's photoetched parts. Some folks havea love/hate relationship with PE parts:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/edu/kit_edu_8165.shtml

There is also the good, but rather fiddly to build Accurate Miniatures kit. It has also been seen in Italeri boxing:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/italeri2657reviewbg_1.htm

Academy also put one out:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12286.shtml

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

For French in Indochina post-war possibilities are almost endless. Ki.43-II, 

Jure

The French (GC I/7 "Provence" and GC II/7 "Nice") operated the ex-Japanese Ki-43-III Ko in Indo-China from December 1945 until early February 1946. The first Spitfire VIII was collected by II/7 on 19 December 1945 and the remaining Oscars passed to I/7 which did not get its first Spitfire until 13 January 1946.

A lot of the Oscars were written off in accidents but some operational missions were flown in them, including strafing and leaflet dropping. 

To represent a GC 1/7 or II/7 machine the OP will need a Ki-43-III Ko kit, the Oscar with the cluster-type individual exhausts;

Nick

3 hours ago, upnorth said:

There's been at least four decently reviewed 1/48 Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik kits on the market:

Tamiya's 1/48 Ilyushin Il-2 Shturmovik is was quite favourably reviewed when it came out and is considered the best Shturmovik kit by many:

Eduard's Shturmovik also went over well, but contanied Eduard's photoetched parts. Some folks havea love/hate relationship with PE parts:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/edu/kit_edu_8165.shtml

There is also the good, but rather fiddly to build Accurate Miniatures kit. It has also been seen in Italeri boxing:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/italeri2657reviewbg_1.htm

Academy also put one out:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/kit_aca_12286.shtml

no,  not four, but  two 1/48th Il-2 kits, Tamiya and the one originally issued by Accurate Minatures, 3 versions, single seat,single seat with skis (has all parts to do normal version) both have straight wing,  and a two seater with a swept wing.

The Italeri is the 2 seat/swept wing version.

The Eduard boxing kit is of note as it is the two seater kit with the straight wing parts, and this is the only time this option has been offered.

Academy has been reboxing AM kits,  a look at Scalemates shows only the single seat  w/ skis version.

The Tamiya kit is the swept wing 2 seater only

here's a side by side review

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/features/il2amtamiyacomparison48bg_1.htm

There are reviews about tackling the AM kit 

see here for a way to build it easily

IIRC both kits have metal fuselages, and most IL-2's had wood.

For chapter and verse on the IL-2,  Jason Moore AKA member "Learstang" has written a book on them!

HTH

T

• Like 2

Thanks Troy!

After getting hooked on the IL2 Sturmovik FS a good few years ago I did some reading and since I got back into modelling the IL2 has been on the list of wants.

Just looked at the price of the tamiya kit - holy cow!

Edited by Lawzer

Hello

Ian, French used Douglas SBD-3s and -5s, along with A-24, USAAF counterpart of USN Dauntless, against Germans, still holding French ports and against other pockets of resistance in France from late 1944 on. Nick, so French also captured Ki.43-III? Well, live and learn. I remember seeing photos of Ki.43-II with improvised French cocardes, but with central blue dots apparently missing. I also remember reading somewhere that, at least at the beginning, these planes were actually flown by Japanese pilots! Cheers

Jure

16 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Ian, French used Douglas SBD-3s and -5s, along with A-24, USAAF counterpart of USN Dauntless, against Germans, still holding French ports and against other pockets of resistance in France from late 1944 on. Nick, so French also captured Ki.43-III? Well, live and learn. I remember seeing photos of Ki.43-II with improvised French cocardes, but with central blue dots apparently missing. I also remember reading somewhere that, at least at the beginning, these planes were actually flown by Japanese pilots! Cheers

Jure

All the Oscars flown by those two French units were III Ko as their serial numbers reveal, mainly ex-64th Sentai, but most Japanese aircraft found in Indo-China after the surrender were first overpainted with blue and white roundels by SEAC who were responsible for the occupation of that area. Those markings have long been misinterpreted as incomplete French roundels. The Japanese pilots who delivered the Oscars to the French made themselves scarce but Japanese groundcrew were co-opted to assist with maintenance. All records of their flights with GC 1/7 and II/7 suggest French pilots only.

The "Gremlin Task Force"(GTF) which also operated in Indo-China operated ex-Japanese aircraft flown by Japanese crews under RAF supervision. Most of the aircraft were painted white with blue and white roundels, with in some cases the original green surrender crosses still visible beneath the new paint. Many of the aircraft flown by GTF bore names of characters from the RAF PO Prune cartoons and included Ki-36 'Ida', Ki-51 'Sonia', Ki-46 'Dinah' and Ki-48 'Lily', whilst transport duties were fulfilled by Ki-21 'Sally', Ki-54 'Hickory', Ki-57 'Topsy' and L2D "Tabby" aircraft. The only Oscar I'm aware of was one flown on behalf of the RAPWI  (Recovery of Allied Prisoners of War and Internees) organisation and so marked. There are a couple of articles on the GTF at my blog posted in May and June 2013. 

Nick

• Like 1

Hello, Nick

Thank you for information about roundels and pilots. Still, there must have been at least one, but probably two Ki.43-II in French service. Here is the photo of one of the captured Ki.43-IIs, although whether this particular machine was serviceable or not is questionable.

http://s478.photobucket.com/user/mokyme/media/Japanese Captured China Burma India/ki-43-II_ki-21_Captd_French-Indoch_.jpg.html

However, there are at least two more Hayabusa photos which definitely show Ki.43-II machines (collective ring and one late type exhaust on each side). I am somewhat nervous not to step on someone's copyright toes, but one of the photos was published in Army type 1 fighter Hayabusa book from Famous airplanes series and the other one I believe in Avions magazine. Cheers

Jure