Two Finished in One Day! Boston and Wildcat

I've got a Work In Progress in progress on the Tamiya Tomcat and there hasn't been much progress because of these two kits.

The Boston has been in progress for hundreds of years and fought me all the way. It's Italeri, but I think it might have been Revell Monogram once. I'm pleased that I learned a lot but the final result is a disappointment. The Pilots canopy is cracked, the nose is full of plastic swarf, the undercarriage is just a mess. However, the painting is getting close to what I want it to be and that makes it all worthwhile.

The Wildcat is a HobbyBoss offering and was done in a week. (I bought it at Cosford). A fun build though not without its frustrations. Again, the paintwork is an improvement so I'm happy. 

Now that I've settled into being retired and the house is optimised for hobbies, I'm hoping to be churning them out quickly enough to actually improve my skills to a point nearing (but never reaching) personal satisfaction. So without further waffle, here you go.

IMG_4976_zpsdy6ytcsw.jpg

IMG_4977_zpshjattgba.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsskbdo6sn.jpg

IMG_0207_zpslbhf8isw.jpg

IMG_0205_zpsoxneivkw.jpg

Oops?

IMG_0206_zpsme12ygyu.jpg

Not quite!

IMG_0203_zpsmw5qd8of.jpg

BostonCockpit_zpsetccma6m.jpg

IMG_0202_zpsy1d2zk9j.jpg

x%204_zpsjyu789ip.jpg

x%203_zpsx5mgvgar.jpg

x%202_zpskar8otle.jpg

What do you think of them then?

At this rate I'll be needing new shelves....

IMG_4975_zps596muua1.jpg

• Like 32

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed Don,......I especially like the Boston and your little collection look stunning,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. You know, that's the first time I've ever displayed my models in pride of place in the living room. Strange that, it's almost as if I was hiding my 'uncool' hobby as I did when I was 13 and trying to get a girlfriend. Lol

10 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

I think they are both keepers!

Well thank you!

11 hours ago, Murrodels said:

Love the paint work on both subjects!

Thanks very much. That was the main aim of these particular kits.

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Cracking builds Don, especially love the Boston. I have a half built one in the cupboard!

Thanks Steve. Mine was started about a year ago I believe. I have moved house in the meantime but it had become a nagging task so I'm very pleased to have it done.

12 hours ago, Beard said:

Both look pretty good to me. I assume the Wildcat is 1/48 but would I be right in assuming the Boston (my favourite of the two) is too?

Cheers, Yes they are both 1:48. I (almost) never do any other scales. (There's a Shackleton in the wardrobe but don't tell anyone.)

13 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

Very nice indeed!

BTW, try using a blower brush(something like this) to blast the swarf out. Just pick a hole somewhere in the model and blast!

Works for me.

Usually....

Rick.

Nice to be appreciated, ta!

Unfortunately, that's a sealed compartment. I can't believe I missed that much swarf, It must have been hiding under the scratchbuilt insides (I lost some bits over the long weary months of the build.)

13 hours ago, airbus320 said:

Both look great to me, as does your collection! Glad to see I'm not the only one running out of shelf space!!!

Chris

Hi Chris. Thanks for the compliment. There's room for more shelves in the bookcase yet so it's nowhere near critical mass yet.

13 hours ago, spruecutter said:

Good work, Don, on both models. They are nicely weathered without being over the top and the canopy framing is very neat. They are great additions to your shelves.

Regards

Richard C

Thanks Richard, I think I'm getting the hang of this weathering thing. I think the chipping is too random and the groundcrew scuffing on top of the wings just didn't work. However, the rest of it is pleasing me. I just have to mentally edit the chips into a more rational pattern. 

• Like 3

Hello Don,

They both look very fine models

the boston is not a easy kit, I get it too, AMT version.

Shelves is a problem for lot of us

WP_20170413_12_20_19_Pro

Whatever, congratulations, you did right both painting and weathering, :yes:

Have a very nice day and keep carry on the fine job.

12 years to wait for my own retirement, must have done a greater shelf before that time !!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp