1/72 Tamiya FW190D-9 "Langnasen Dora" 1/JG301

I've just finished this - my sixth completion of 2017 :D - it's the Tamiya FW190D-9:

DSCN6131.jpg

DSCN6133.jpg

DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6138.jpg

DSCN6140.jpg

DSCN6142.jpg

I built it almost OOB with the following exceptions - I used the Eduard Microfabric seat harness set and canopy mask set, and transfers for the markings of an aircraft of 1/JG301 flown by Feldwebel Hagen Forster in the spring of 1945 from the Aeromaster Decals set 72-204 "Too Little, Too Late". I made the antenna wire from 70 Denier white Infini lycra rigging thread and replaced the cannon barrels and pitot tube with Albion Alloys Aluminium micro-tube. The paints were Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats RLM74 Grauviolett (ACLW14) RLM76 Lichtblau (ACLW15) and RLM83 Dunkelgrun (ACLW01) and the interior RLM66 (ACLW16). I used various acrylics for little details and Tamiya Clear Red and Green for the wingtip navigation lights which I replaced with some stretched clear sprue.

The Aeromaster instructions suggest that this aircraft was quite worn and dirty-looking, I've tried to imply that without going over the top, but the pictures suggest I should have gone a little further in a way that the naked eye does not entirely agree with. My mottling and freehand camouflage demarkation is a bit rubbish anyway but I don't want to draw attention away from it by doing something  worse :D 

The kit goes together very nicely as you would expect given Tamiya's reputation for such things - the main landing gear bay suffers some innacuracy, having a 'roof' in the centre section which was apparently open in real life, exposing various bits of trunking and the back of the engine. This would of course be a lot of work to undertake unless it really bothered you or you intended to display it upside down. My grateful thanks to @DuncanB of BlackMike Models for selling it to me for a very reasonable price in the first place and for the subsequent advice on the colour scheme.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 28

Thanks very much gents :cheers:

The spinner spiral is indeed a transfer; I hit it with several applications of Mr Mark Decal Softer and it still has a faint crinkle in one place but it is nevertheless far superior to what I might have ended up with if I had tried to paint the spiral :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...