First to 400mph - Supermarine S6-B

Hi All,

While the glue/paint is drying on my other builds I thought I'd do a quick one. One that did 400mph.

33979046505_710b92d369_c.jpg

Most of the major parts had been helpfully removed off the sprues already.

33849196301_4efcd532b6_c.jpg

One lunch hour later we were here...

33593970550_4aa33d35b2_c.jpg

One more lunch hour and we were here...

33153764574_8ca2fb8ea5_c.jpg

Can see why these only used to take a rainy afternoon.....

• Like 7

It's great to see a classic FROG in the Group Build :).

I haven't seen this one in this style box for a long time. The box art is lovely; I feel I have to say "don't throw it away!" :winkgrin:.

This is what it all used to be about, great fun putting something together quickly that fits together, and looks good.

Great stuff, it looks like it's going to be paint soon.

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well - It would appear I failed to take any photos of it after completing basic construction but here it is after the first coat of paint along with the Attacker being built elsewhere in this GB.

33977215794_4da7afd5ed_c.jpg

Given it'd be a bit of a g!t to mask now, I elected to brush paint it. One coat of Humbrol "Metalcoate" Polished Aluminium and then a sealing coat of Johnson's Wax to seal it prior to a second coat.

Have noticed that there are a couple of seam lines that need further work before any further paint though :banghead:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

First coat of blue paint. Elected to go with Humbrol Oxford Blue enamel. 

35577102522_f416677428_c_d.jpg

Might not be strictly correct but was good enough for my dad when he built the same kit 45 years ago....

• Like 7

Fantastic, I love the idea that lunchtime can still be spent building models, it had never occurred to me !

I might have to do a risk assessment to build it in the office, then a coshh assessment for the paint and glue, wear a mask and gloves if I do any painting or sanding........ :wall:

On second thoughts perhaps it's best if I carry on building kits at home !  :whistle:

Looking forward to the next instalment   :popcorn:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Looks great. I built the Airfix one a while ago (the Frog kit is much nicer) and it was indeed great fun! This has got the right level of detail - a seat AND a pilot!

The original Blue was quite light and bright but the one in the Science Museum is much darker, so your blue matches the later repaint. I used Hu25 when I did mine, sort of half way in between.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The original Blue was quite light and bright but the one in the Science Museum is much darker, so your blue matches the later repaint. I used Hu25 when I did mine, sort of half way in between.

As it happens I took another look at it and decided that the Oxford Blue was a bit too dark as well as being quite purpley so as I didn't have Hu25 in my paint collection I used Tamiya XF8 instead.

34976082023_21879c5c1d_c_d.jpg

• Like 3

It looks superb.

You've done a great job with the brush applied Humbrol Metalcote. I never had any luck with it, no matter how much I stirred it there wasn't enough 'Metal' to coat, if that makes any sense? I probably had a dud tin as this looks excellent :thumbsup2: 

The Tamiya blue really works. I'm tempted to go and look for one of these kits now!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

(the Frog kit is much nicer)

Agreed, it is.

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

This has got the right level of detail - a seat AND a pilot!

I sat in the cockpit of the S.6 in Southampton some years ago - there really isn't much more in there, and in any case, if there were, you couldn't see it from the outside if the pilot were in place. Once the hinged windscreen is down, there's little more than a hole in the fuselage just big enough for the pilot's head.

Kevin

• Like 1

Decided quite early on in the build that I'd rig this one - After all, what is there to fear once you've rigged an Airco DH-2?

This time I've used 34swg beading wire rather than the Ezeline used previously. To straighten, simply clamp the free end in the vice then pull hard on the wire. Cut to length and apply to your model. Simples.

Really should have rigged the struts first before the floats were attached but might just have to ignore that and put it down to experience. We'll see how we're doing for time.

35806188815_374a0cf466_c_d.jpg

• Like 1

She's about complete now. Just need to put the number "1" decal on the port side and varnish her.

34983969744_9cc83ab965_c_d.jpg

35435629360_e65f0b4d0e_c_d.jpg

Decals went on without shattering. Not bad for 40 years old....

Will give her a couple of days to dry then I'll post in the Gallery.

Thanks for watching.

IanJ

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

That's just a lovely model Ian :worthy:!

Beautiful paintwork there.

This GB is going to burn a hole on my wallet, especially with these Golden Age type aircraft; my favourite era by far.

Thank you for taking part Ian and for sharing this great work in progress!

Still a superb little kit that rewards with a very nice model.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

This has turned out very nicely indeed!

I've recently had a major clear out of my stash, but fortunately decided to keep my Chematic re-pop of this kit :)

Cliff

• Like 1