Happy Yuri's Night!

GordonD

Today is the 56th anniversary of the flight of Vostok 1. Before the break-up of the Soviet Union this was known as 'Cosmonautics Day' but now it is celebrated all over the world as 'Yuri's Night'. As I pointed out in another post, we have just passed the 6,000th day of continuous occupation of the ISS (they even have a woman running it now) but when Gagarin climbed aboard his spacecraft he was literally heading into the unknown, so even for a test pilot it was an extremely brave thing to do. No wonder the Russians are so proud of him.

So if you get the chance, raise a glass tonight and toast the memory of the man who started it all.

Gagarin.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

He really wanted to fly more space missions but the Soviet government wouldn't let him.

Just like John Glenn, who had to wait until he was 77 for a second flight.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually if we're really celebrating "The man who started it all", then we ought to be celebrating Sergi Korolev and Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, not the guy who rode in what they designed. :P

322l1p1.jpg39797-004-08A491C9.jpg

Gordon, I know I could divert some of my attention towards the history of the people who have contributed to our time in space and find out on my own about these folks but I really like your bitesize histories. It is always a nice surprise when I see one of your post.

6 hours ago, Structor said:

Gordon, I know I could divert some of my attention towards the history of the people who have contributed to our time in space and find out on my own about these folks but I really like your bitesize histories. It is always a nice surprise when I see one of your post.

Well, thank you. It's nice to know they're appreciated.