1/72 - Saunders-Roe A.36 Lerwick resin kit by Blackbird Models - released

Homebee

Well, there are more esoteric subjects that have made it to kit form than this, so...

For me, a lot of the appeal of the "What Ifs" and the "One offs" is the whole "coulda been" factor.  Take the Vought XF5U for example.  Despite a labored and intensive development program the thing never officially flew.  Thus whether or not its performance would've matched its promises remains but a speculation.  So we're free to indulge in an "ah, if only..." romanticism about the type.

Apparently the Lerwick was not one of Saunders-Roe's better designs.  It was underpowered, slow, structurally weak, and a real handful for its pilots due to being so poorly laid out that it was too unstable for patrol flights.  We like to think of such limited run types as being more worthy than that short-lived fates deemed them.  In this case however, it seems the type was a pig to fly and operate and thus not worthy of even its small production run.

I think this'd be a real gem parked next to a Sunderland or a Catalina.  Perhaps to continue the theme it should be paired with a Boeing XPBB Sea Ranger.

I'll definitely be looking forward to this kit's release!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Bung it up on ebay now before the resin is released and you could offset a good chunk of the cost.

Too right, no one in our club wanted TO BE GIVEN the Contrails Lerwick I somehow acquired free, luckily some mug, I mean a fine fellow modeller bunged me 70 notes for it via eBay!  Maybe it had extra collector's value as it had been partly cut from the vacform sheet.  The decals and castings were nice though.

Personally I don't like the Lerwick, it's no beauty but not eccentric or ugly enough to be attractive either.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hmmm, where to start with this...

There are so many details wrong with this kit, the nose, the tail area, the wing to fuselage area and the cockpit is terrible!

no research has been done to correct the original mold.

I have been studying this aircraft for the last 5 years and am scratch building a 1/48 version, plus i have many unpublished photos but all of the problem areas can be seen clearly in readily available pictures.

1 hour ago, ludwig113 said:

There are so many details wrong with this kit, the nose, the tail area, the wing to fuselage area and the cockpit is terrible!

I have been studying this aircraft for the last 5 years and am scratch building a 1/48 version, plus i have many unpublished photos but all of the problem areas can be seen clearly in readily available pictures.

So there is a chance for new issue - perhaps injected one? Valom maybe?

Regards

J-W

5 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

This is a personal project, i've never considered it for release.

But thanks for asking J-W

But I hope some producer can find this and contsult you here...

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

3 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

Okay, just to be sure here - which kit are you referring to?  The Blackbird Models Lerwick or the Contrail vacuform kit?

6 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

Hmmm, where to start with this...

Could you please bring more details about this inaccuracies? Are they correctable? Any chance of providing the full list of issues you spotted?

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 7:58 PM, Madoc said:

Okay, just to be sure here - which kit are you referring to?  The Blackbird Models Lerwick or the Contrail vacuform kit?

well the same things that are wrong with the contrail kit are also wrong on the blackbird one... make of that what you will, plus they have added their own mistakes!

On 17/03/2018 at 10:42 PM, MarkoZG said:

Could you please bring more details about this inaccuracies? Are they correctable? Any chance of providing the full list of issues you spotted?

Thanks.

the cockpit, same as contrail, both wrong. pilots should sit behind each other not side by side. this also means the instrument panel is totally wrong.

mid upper turret, wrong shape.

fuselage nose, wrong shape and shouldn't be a cut line under turret.

fuselage to wing area, there was never a "fairing" between the fuselage and bottom of the wing!

the port hole windows look too big but i would need to measure those to be sure.

the tail area is the same as contrail's, wrong, not by much but still wrong.

• Like 1

There's a very clear picture of the tandem pilots' seats in the Putnam "Saunders and Saro" which I would have presumed to be the first reference for any Lerwick model - but obviously not.  Are people still using the wartime Aircraft of the Fighting Powers plans?

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There's a very clear picture of the tandem pilots' seats in the Putnam "Saunders and Saro" which I would have presumed to be the first reference for any Lerwick model - but obviously not.  Are people still using the wartime Aircraft of the Fighting Powers plans?

That's a very good reference Graham and all of my issues can be seen in that 1 book.

I have 3 sets of detailed plans for the Lerwick, they all have good and bad points.

Contrail did a great job back in the day before the internet but there is no excuse to copy those same mistakes now.

6 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

Contrail did a great job back in the day before the internet but there is no excuse to copy those same mistakes now.

The cynic in me says they probably cut out the Contrail parts, modified them a bit and those are the patterns for their kit. Wouldn't be the first time a vacform has been used as the basis of a resin or limited-run kit.....

21 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

The cynic in me says they probably cut out the Contrail parts, modified them a bit and those are the patterns for their kit. Wouldn't be the first time a vacform has been used as the basis of a resin or limited-run kit.....

You have evidence for that assertion?

Thomo.

52 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

You have evidence for that assertion?

Thomo.

Of course not.  I'm merely expressing an opinion based on what someone who understands the aircraft has said.  But the practice is rife at the 'bottom end' of the model industry. There are any number of limited run and resin kits where some of the parts are simply 'knock-offs' of other manufacturers items. Engines, wheels and props particularly. But even major components....just ask John Adams.