Schoolboy error!!! 

E44_C8_DA0-5_DCF-40_EE-8635-26_BA8_E4357Prop base and mount for one of the builds left on the spares I gave away last year! Picture above is the one I used from the ‘free to good home section’ 

Been in touch with @JimHead23,

hopefully he still has them. 

Was going mad then as to why I had ten props and cones but only 9  mounts and bases... Luckily can actually see the parts I am missing and where they went, not to the carpet monster :D 

• Sad 1

Progress at last!

Forgot how tedious it can be doing multiple builds. 

Getting the worst bit out of the way first - opening up the seatbelt slots on the overtrees’ plastic bulkheads. 

DD5_CF689-_C5_BF-4_C11-9027-_CF3_CB81_BD

Drilled, then carved out. Smoothed with a bit of mr cement s.

One done.

FF49945_E-_E851-482_D-9634-30_DEEDBB9509

And four done!

4_DD576_AC-8_F5_A-487_D-96_CF-_C12_A1562

Replacing the worst designed part ever with stretched sprue - B21. 

1_CABD666-_AD6_F-4062-_AC73-10370_FD1_C8

In place -

05_BE1_E4_E-584_B-434_B-_A0_EB-_F97_F71_

So now we have the next four pits ready for paint. Watch this space! 

2173_A099-8220-4065-8132-349_F93_E3_AD04

Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 8

The results are in! 

Brands: 

3_D6962_ED-_F3_B0-43_F5-_A6_A9-01_FF8579

Sprayed out:

A395674_F-5190-49_DD-8417-_F25855820801.

96_D8_BD1_A-_E494-4_D8_A-_A3_B3-_F88_FFA

5_E4_E8_D58-_EDCC-41_FF-_B7_D0-9_DDE66_E

To my eyes, the mission (C5) looks best, with the tamiya (E4) being too green and the other pair too light, of those the mig ammo (E5) being the lightest. This may be useful if you’re one of those scale reduction factor types who likes lighter paint. 

Unfortunately I can’t compare these shades to the other 6 previous ones used so far as those are all buttoned up (and 250miles away)

I am however, considering spraying out all ten shades together on some plastic card (with the day fighter colours too) to make a reference plate type thing. 

That probably won’t be until the easter break though. 

I did something similar with modern USN greys during my tomcat saga (currently on hold for these wee beasties)

Here is a link for those interested:

Next is to try and detail paint/finish these interiors the same as the others already done... consistency and all that. 

Thats all for now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

To my eyes Tony, C4 and E5 look like they could be useful for the Eau de Nil colour apparently used in early Spit cockpits?

Keith

Yeah the model air and ammo used in those two are very light. 

However once they have had a wash to bring the detail out I suspect they will darken up a touch to the ‘right’ level. 

I found doing the last six, that interior colours that were good to begin with ended up being too dark by the end of it. 

All depends on you finishing style I suppose, and hopefully depending on your procedures you will be able to start with a shade that will turn out how you prefer by the end of it... 

Tony. 

• Like 2

Update time- 

Cockpits have had a wash now the detailing is done, also the IP’s had some attention (not shown) One had a decal, the rest with some brushed colour bits. 

Looking quite consistent with the others now looking back through the pictures in this thread. Quite pleased. 

3_D55_ED74-40_E1-4919-85_C2-8942_D79_C40

ACDCBC2_E-5655-4475-_A440-_B4_F055128146

Some have however come out a bit glossier from the klear based wash. Perhaps because they had smoother paint from some of these brands to begin with? Not a problem, can flat coat them once the belts are in.

That’s the next instalment... these will be going in over this next week.

F6_C572_A3-45_BA-4_A41-_A7_F6-4_A97169_B

Thanks for stopping by. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Beard said:

Good luck with the seatbelts... too small for my fat fingers and old eyes.

Thanks pal. Hopefully should be ok.  Two of the first six I did had these steel belt types and they went in alot easier than the std profipack type etch belts. The steel ones are much thinner so conform better and the paint/print doesn’t flake off when you bend them :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry its been a month of so since the last update, been away with work for past three weeks so no bench time. 

Anyways those steel belts are in, done in the same way as the last ones. 

- Lap belts and chair back strap done first on the seat sub assy, then it was attached to the fuselage. Then the top shoulder belts added onto seat and back part fed through slot. 

- Next, using superglue, two bits of stretched sprue added passing either side of little stud on bulkhead crossbar and secured to inside fuselage. A touch of silver paint to make them look like cables and they’re done. 

Going off of this reference pic: 

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html/07rness

FD05_B33_C-1_FBD-40_E7-8_B7_E-_B8659_BF3

CDDFFB68-_A009-48_B0-8_BFC-34_AD8081_AA4

D42_C5374-1_F53-4732-_AFF5-8_CA6466_A5_B

Now its onto the main construction of the airframes. 

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

- Next, using superglue, two bits of stretched sprue added passing either side of little stud on bulkhead crossbar and secured to inside fuselage. A touch of silver paint to make them look like cables and they’re done. 

I shall steal that tip (but will credit you).

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
24 minutes ago, Beard said:

Definitely.

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Indubitably.

I promise I will make some progress this year guys. 

I’ve also just noticed what a horribly pretentious title this thread has too. Things change alot in two years. Anyways it’s not applicable anymore as there are now 10 airframes too... Must change it to something more sensible once I get it going again.

Bye for now! 

• Like 2