On 5/9/2017 at 2:33 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I understand the post war BS241 weathered somewhat differently to the wartime colour due to its formulation though so their respective appearances on real aircraft may indeed be a bit different - but they also have different juxtapositions because in WW2 the green was usually worn beside Dark Earth or Ocean Grey whereas on Hunters, Phantoms etc it was against Dark Sea Grey so the whole impression of the scheme and how green or olive the green looks can seem different because the adjacent colour is also different.

I recall seeing the effect of metamerism on two models painted in Xtracolors.  One was Dark Green and Dark Earth, the other was Dark Green and Ocean Grey, the two applications of Dark Green being from the same tin.  On the green/earth model the green looked more blue, against the grey it looked more brown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well that turned out just about perfect.

Please teach/advise  me how to improve for the next one? :shrug: Thats not sarcasm I am always willing to learn, thats why we are here on this forum...

You're the current spitfire build guru I believe :)

The pattern is 90% there I think, 

With this being a post war plane in turkish markings I imagine there would be most likely be some repainting/covering old markings?

So for this one there is room for a little 'fudge factor' to keep the spitfire :police: at bay... Which is why I painted it first 👍🏿

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Please teach/advise  me how to improve for the next one? :shrug: 

Honestly, I was just trying to leave a little room for your next ones, in case you outdid yourself! That is a fantastic result anyone should be proud of.

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Thats not sarcasm I am always willing to learn, thats why we are here on this forum...

You're the current spitfire build guru I believe :)

I've spent the last three years soaking up all I can here on BM and feel like I'm still just getting started, so forgive me for being a little taken aback at being called a Spitfire guru. Your silver Eduard Spitfire is second to none.

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

With this being a post war plane in turkish markings I imagine there would be most likely be some repainting/covering old markings?

So for this one there is room for a little 'fudge factor' to keep the spitfire :police: at bay... Which is why I painted it first 👍🏿

As far as fading and weathering, that can be a controversial area with lots of schools of thought and is very subjective - that's why I like to post a reference pic with weathered builds, to try and get the observers and myself on the same page if possible.

Your F-14's and silver Spitfire have proven that you don't need much weathering/finishing advice, but I'm happy to share anything I know.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Honestly, I was just trying to leave a little room for your next ones, in case you outdid yourself! That is a fantastic result anyone should be proud of.

I've spent the last three years soaking up all I can here on BM and feel like I'm still just getting started, so forgive me for being a little taken aback at being called a Spitfire guru. Your silver Eduard Spitfire is second to none.

As far as fading and weathering, that can be a controversial area with lots of schools of thought and is very subjective - that's why I like to post a reference pic with weathered builds, to try and get the observers and myself on the same page if possible.

Your F-14's and silver Spitfire have proven that you don't need much weathering/finishing advice, but I'm happy to share anything I know.

Thanks very much mate I'm flattered! 

Those spitfires in your 'sorry they are late' makes you a guru. You either know what you're on about or very convincing at pretending that ;)  Some of that kit bashing is something I wouldn't dream of yet! 

And yeah I like the idea of building to reference pics :) 

• Like 2

Next green is done!

This time it is the AK air on the greek C wing. 

Persevered With the paper masks, used some loops of tape to get them to 'float' ever so slightly.   

image.jpg

Green on!

image.jpg

With the grey - turns out quite a light/pale scheme. Guess its Ak's 'scale effect' pre lightened colours. Should work well for this soon to be old sunbleached greek plane...

image.jpg

Also started compiling this chart cause I am strange  :nerdy:

image.jpg

Again, Thanks for looking 👍🏿

• Like 9

Now for the xtracrylix! 

This is the Russian E wing.

Note this scheme will have a white tail and rudder. The rudder was left off and painted seperate along when the tail was done in white straight after primer before the ocean grey. The tail was then masked off. It's an easier area to mask off than mask around if that makes sense. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Coming along fast now...

Freehand work (all soft edge) for the next three!  

Speaking of which not sure about the half and half of these last two (ak & xtra) regards the demarcations. I like the all hard edge colourcoats, but these with the bit of both is making me tick a bit... 

• Like 8

Next! @HATAKA OFFICIAL

Hataka orange line. (Lacquer type)

Green added freehand with a 0.2mm needle. 

*Amazing paint*

I now rate this over Mr Color and as good as if not better than Mr Paint. Will start a new topic in the paint section about it in more detail. 

Nuff said.

I'll let the pics do the talking. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

• Like 13

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

They're looking lovely.:clap2:

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny 👍🏿

10 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Whoa, things are happening fast now - fantastic free hand work with the Hataka!

Thanks, it's really easy to use :)

I did the Mr paint Serb C  wing also last night but didn't want to bore people with too many pics. Just the Mr Color one left to do now!

4 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's some lovely paint work you have done, the camo looks excellent, really smooth finish!

Rob

Thanks, the hataka paints do have a lovely consistent finish, no blotchy areas like you can get with some other brands when you thin them down. 

• Like 2

Mr paint's dark green is on. Not very dark at all. Came out quite blotchy too. Freehand with 0.2 needle. Hopefully a pre decal gloss will smooth things out. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ps - sky band was sprayed first after the primer before adding all the day fighter shades. Again easier to mask off than mask around. 

• Like 4

Thanks again for doing this Tony - it must be a real pain painting with stuff you know is not the best around... or even on your bench!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks again for doing this Tony - it must be a real pain painting with stuff you know is not the best around... or even on your bench!

No worries mate 👍🏿

Worst so far was the ak air to be honest. The greys weren't too bad but that green was shocking. Very patchy and blotchy. Reminds me of when I did that 1/72 he-111 earlier this year in ak air. The upper RLM greens 70 & 71 sprayed similarly. Very patchy finish. Must be something they use in particular for their green pigments perhaps? 

The rest have were all great. It's been fun playing around with different paints these past couple of weeks. 

Got to stay switched on trying to get the best out of each type though adjusting the setup etc. 

No had a mistake or wrong part in wrong paint yet he says touch wood. 

These builds are certainly keeping me on my toes so to speak!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Worst so far was the ak air to be honest. The greys weren't too bad but that green was shocking. Very patchy and blotchy. Reminds me of when I did that 1/72 he-111 earlier this year in ak air. The upper RLM greens 70 & 71 sprayed similarly. Very patchy finish. Must be something they use in particular for their green pigments perhaps? 

Makes you wonder whether they actually try their stuff out before selling it! They must surely be aware of results such as yours Tony? Or do they know that we modellers will just keep on buying stuff regardless? I was really impressed with the finish you got with the xtracrylics. I find them a real mare to spray, never get a particularly good result with them, but still keep buying more of their paints...!! :mental:

Keith

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I was really impressed with the finish you got with the xtracrylics. 

Cheers mate 👍🏿

I used ultimate modelling products universal thinner. Great stuff. Use it with all my water based type acrylics B)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

I used ultimate modelling products universal thinner. Great stuff. Use it with all my water based type acrylics B)

Is this ultimate thinner stuff particularly attractive to airbrushers or is it of any use to brush painters too?

John.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnd said:

Is this ultimate thinner stuff particularly attractive to airbrushers or is it of any use to brush painters too?

John.

Yeah they label it as an airbrush thinner mate. Might be too hot to use for brushing? I will try out for you tomorrow perhaps on some scrap and report back 🕵🏿

https://www.umpretail.com/products/ultimate-airbrush-thinner

• Like 2

Last one (for now)

Free hand Mr Color dark green C361 on the USA C wing. Leveling thinner & the 0.2mm needle again. 

Its an xtradecal option saying corsica early 1944 and a 'field' paint job. Perhaps a repaint over a desert scheme from when it was based there?

Anyways followed the sheet, its almost like the A pattern with a bit of variation. I kept this one a bit 'rougher' to convey this idea compared to the other two freehand jobs that are much tighter and supposed to represent factory paint jobs. 

Not Alot of contrast with these paints because the ocean grey is quite dark already and the dark green is more 'medium' than dark. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Teaser groupshot next!

• Like 5

I had doubts of getting this far. Did anyone else?

image.jpg

Will get some better daylight pictures tomorrow with bottles etc. 

We have so far: 3 freehand lacquer acrylics, and then 3 masked paintjobs - 1 enamel and 2 water based acrylics. 

Broke the back of this challenge so to speak, it should be all downhill from here - decals, weathering and then final assy with props, u/c and exhausts etc. 

There will be a lull though now whilst I get the next three (mr hobby, tamiya & model air) up to the same point as these six. More cockpits to do yey!

Thanks for looking 👍🏿

• Like 9