4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great tip on using the masks as a template too - thanks for sharing :)

You are most welcome!

Think I will be getting more montex/vinyl type masks when I have multiples of the same kit in the future 👍🏿

• Like 1

REALLY enjoying this thread. For me it's the comparisons that make it special. I was interested to see how the various belts turned out (and I agree, the 'superfabric' ones are a bit simplistic even in 1/72 although I prefer the look of the standard etch to the steel). But it's the colour variation that is astonishing. Can't wait to see how the topside camo turns out. There's a bit of me that suspects you'll see what you expect to see and the differences will disappear when they're done and standing side by side. Excellent stuff....get that paint on!!

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of progress. Bet you were all hoping for some uppers in ocean grey by now... 

I did spend some time over the weekend with the sextet however didn't get as much done as I would have liked. 

Where we are at though is about ready for the ocean grey, to get there - gunsights in, canopy front and rears on and cockpits masked off with foam wedges. Then there was 6 lots of lowers to mask off too. 

Canopies have all had interior green on them, then some primer on the upper surfaces revealed a few areas of work still to be done which is holding up the ocean grey. 

Looking at the schemes they are all A pattern apart from the greek which is B and the US one which is field applied. 

• Like 2

Update - as alluded to earlier. 

Made a decision over the weekend - Seeing as I have more paint brands to use and more overtrees sat in the stash we may as well bring them to the party. Also being in the zone with building spitfires it (kinda) makes sense. However other projects will have to go into suspended animation for the meantime. 

So we have tamiya, mr hobby and vallejo model air to add, bringing this wip up to 9 builds. 

I have already used the Tamiya shades before on a 1/48 build, and they came out well.

The mr hobby shades have been in the stash for a while but not used them yet so we might as well see how they stack up. They are the hobby aqueos shades reccomended by Eduard in the first release of their 1/48 mk9c spitfire, before the specific mr color shades came out more recently (C361, 362 & 363) Subsequent instruction sheets have the latest Mr Color paints in them. One of the sextet will be wearing the mr color shades so it will be good to see the mr hobby ones next to it. 

The last paints to try out are Vallejo model air and are fairly new to me, bought them along with the now stalled hobbytrump 1/48 Mig-31 at the start of the year. I don't have the model air interior grey green yet but it is on route. 

As for markings I will keep the foreign/exotic theme going so there will be two more E wing birds using the French and Israeli options from the royal class boxing, then a C wing with SAAF roundels (same xtradecal sheet the USA plane is on)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Are the Vallejo paints from their new "Air War" sets?

Yes mate. Was the 'SEAC' set so as well as the day fighter colours shown above  it also has black & white, sky type s and dark earth which are all pretty standard colours. The only 'special' one that makes the set is a bottle of sky blue. That may come in handy for some mk 8 aussie planes one day ;)  

From @Mikemx here, 

http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/val71146-raf--faa-seac-air-command-south-east-asia-1942-45-5084-p.asp

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to seeing the differences in the dark greens when you get to them Tony. I have a currently stalled Otaki P-47 destined to be a SEAC machine that I recently sprayed with White Ensign RAF Dark Green enamel. I haven't used enamels for years, but for some reason was having real trouble getting any of my acrylics to work properly on this build. Anyway, the WEM paint sprayed beautifully, but it just doesn't look right to me colourwise. I can't  get up into the loft at the mo to compare it with any of my previous acrylic painted builds, so I'll be very interested in how your selections look!

Keith

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the differences in the dark greens when you get to them Tony. I have a currently stalled Otaki P-47 destined to be a SEAC machine that I recently sprayed with White Ensign RAF Dark Green enamel. I haven't used enamels for years, but for some reason was having real trouble getting any of my acrylics to work properly on this build. Anyway, the WEM paint sprayed beautifully, but it just doesn't look right to me colourwise. I can't  get up into the loft at the mo to compare it with any of my previous acrylic painted builds, so I'll be very interested in how your selections look!

Keith

Are you used to seeing models in someone else's Dark Green that isn't right? I've no plans to change the Colourcoats shade. :) 

674e1592-5911-4b08-b0a1-838239f59f03_zps

20160418_182543_zpssl9bqtbf.jpg

20150111_155724_zpsmjxcd9yv.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Jamie,

It's a very old tin of WEM paint, bought years before they went under & you took the range on. I maybe should have made that clear in my post, but I consider Sovereign colourcoats to be a different brand?

To me, although 'they' say that WW2 dk. green & the late 70's/80's colour are the same, I've always thought the dk. green used onTornado's, Jags etc looked different from WW2 dk green (& I accept I can only go by colour images for the latter - and yes I know...!! :winkgrin:) & this old tin of WEM paint looks like it would be perfect for the jets.

To me, the green on your Tempest ) & that on the Spitfire look different to each other - & to my P-47...lighting, different contrast between DE & OG etc - not to mention my monitor settings?! The joy of colour, eh...?!

Keith

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hi Jamie,

It's a very old tin of WEM paint, bought years before they went under & you took the range on. I maybe should have made that clear in my post, but I consider Sovereign colourcoats to be a different brand?

To me, although 'they' say that WW2 dk. green & the late 70's/80's colour are the same, I've always thought the dk. green used onTornado's, Jags etc looked different from WW2 dk green (& I accept I can only go by colour images for the latter - and yes I know...!! :winkgrin:) & this old tin of WEM paint looks like it would be perfect for the jets.

To me, the green on your Tempest ) & that on the Spitfire look different to each other - & to my P-47...lighting, different contrast between DE & OG etc - not to mention my monitor settings?! The joy of colour, eh...?!

Keith

Hi Keith,

You're right, we are two different brands but there are many of the colours we kept as is, and the chemical formulation and equipment are all the same etc.

WEM used to make two distinct RAF Dark Greens - there is the ACRN09 WW2 Dark Green which we still make and there was ACRN15 Dark Green BS381C-241 for post-war stuff, but they dropped ACRN15 because nobody could tell them apart. Nick Millman has posted some delta-E values comparing the difference numerically and there is a difference but probably inside what most people (and particularly males) would be able to distinguish.

I understand the post war BS241 weathered somewhat differently to the wartime colour due to its formulation though so their respective appearances on real aircraft may indeed be a bit different - but they also have different juxtapositions because in WW2 the green was usually worn beside Dark Earth or Ocean Grey whereas on Hunters, Phantoms etc it was against Dark Sea Grey so the whole impression of the scheme and how green or olive the green looks can seem different because the adjacent colour is also different.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

whereas on Hunters, Phantoms etc it was against Dark Sea Grey so the whole impression of the scheme and how green or olive the green looks can seem different because the adjacent colour is also different.

True, would the darker grey make the green 'seem' lighter? 

16 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

True, would the darker grey make the green 'seem' lighter? 

Absolutely - see this https://www.ted.com/talks/beau_lotto_optical_illusions_show_how_we_see especially the section about 7 minutes in on how adjacent colour changes the perception

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1

It might be a colour constancy thing - I'm sure everyone has seen this before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_constancy#/media/File:Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

Paste it in to MS Paint and use the colour sampler tool and you'll see that squares A and B are exactly the same shade (by their sRGB values)

The Scalemates site gives renders against different backgrounds which illustrates this quite well too:

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/color.php?id=11437

• Like 2