Last one on the topic of nose bulkheads...

Drilling a hole into the vertical part as shown allows for a skewer to be used as a handle for overall painting of primer/varnishes. Plus then with a toothpick in the tail wheel slot and a helping hands thingymajig sans magnifying glass also for camo work and decals 👍🏿

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

Can't wait (have various belt options for my current build...fabric, steel, standard etch) and not sure which to go for in terms of 'look' v 'ease of assembly' . Looking forward to seeing what you're going to do. As for the builds themselves...6 Spits?! You ARE totally bonkers. But you can NEVER have too many. Love it!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Interesting trick there Tony!

I wonder if that will work on the 1/48 ones?

Yeah mate this is pretty much how I do my 48th ones and where I got these ideas from. Everything from the cockpit sub-assy to the hole in the bulkhead for a handle etc. 

The parts breakdown between them is identical 👍🏿

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Looking forward to seeing what you're going to do. As for the builds themselves.

Two of each type across the 6 mate. 

The 2 using superfabric belts will have closed canopies, the 4 with the etch belts (2 standard & 2 steel) will be open 👍🏿

@The Spadgent  these are similar........http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-micro-bar-clamp-4-100mm/5344k

I use all the time for my 'real work' ( building log cabins) but have a nice small set for models..( nowhere good enough though to even dare to show on here. I'm in absolute awe of the skills shown on BM, I keep telling myself ....one day!!!!)

Edited by The Yorkshireman
  • Like 2

On 26/04/2017 at 6:44 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Yes mate, although more of a friction type as there a no 'notches' along the shaft as such. 

The pair was a couple of quid from Wilko's 👍🏿

On 26/04/2017 at 9:44 PM, The Yorkshireman said:

@The Spadgent  these are similar........http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-micro-bar-clamp-4-100mm/5344k

I use all the time for my 'real work' ( building log cabins) but have a nice small set for models..( nowhere good enough though to even dare to show on here. I'm in absolute awe of the skills shown on BM, I keep telling myself ....one day!!!!)

Ooh thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup: 

Johnny

Nic job Tony,....glad it isn`t just me who builds a whole squadron in one go!! You are doing  cracking job,

Cheers

Another Tony

• Like 1

Right ok then, Shix shades of shea grey... (Connery voice)

All the colours were built up to an opaque level on grey primer. (Stynylrez) 

Not doing any pre/post shading or variation just want solid colour for comparisons. Once all the airframes are complete and had decals on then I will do some fading with oils/filters etc. 

Sorted a decent picture! 

Cool/blue-ish shades on the left. mr paint & hataka (most blue)

neutrals in the centre, - colourcoats and mr color. Almost identical. 

Warmest/browny-cream types on the right, Ak air & xtracrylix with the later the most brownish. 

image.jpg

Here is the range of the variation between the two extremes of colour. Hataka being the bluest and xtracrylix the brownest. 

On their own they each look like MSG, especially because its on the bottom of a spitfire so your brain expects it. But together its a different story! 

image.jpg

Variety is the spice of life as they say!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's definitely some unexpectedly wide variation.

True ain't it strange!

I mentioned earlier we only normally see one version of a colour at a time/one model in isolation and then when we see the shades we associate it with the plane that it's on, so they always look 'about right' individually...

Hopefully this time next week we will have some ocean grey to look at! 

Thanks to all who are following, keeps the motivation up 👍🏿

• Like 4

I've noticed too that the 'same' colour paint made by the same manufacturer can vary widely. For some reason I have three pots of xtracrylic PRU Blue which are all noticeably different from one another! Just shows it's a bit pointless being pedantic about model kit colours!

Really enjoying your builds Tony, though you're far more organised than me, I have trouble picking the right bits to use when I'm only building one...!! Hope you didn't give away some vital parts in that big box of goodies - sort of thing that I'd be bound to do!

Also looking forward to seeing the top surfce colours going on - do you also have six different Ocean Greys & Dark Greens to choose from..?!

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Also looking forward to seeing the top surfce colours going on - do you also have six different Ocean Greys & Dark Greens to choose from..?!

Yes mate, the Paints for each one will be by the same manufacturer. So the undersides you see above with the jars/bottles will have the same brands of green and grey on top, and had the corresponding brand interior grey green in too, apart from the colourcoats bird as I dont have that of theirs so that had alclad mil spec inside 👍🏿

• Like 2

Sorry for the lull, but don't worry these six are still ticking over. 

Been busy/getting distracted with these : 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017546-tamiya-124-lexus-sc430-2006-mobil-1/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019896-148-hobbyboss-mig-31/

Anyways, all the lowers were done fairly rapidly however alot of work still needs to be done topside. Before the green and grey the cockpits need sealing off which means lots of clear parts to mask up :( plus the gunsights need to go in. 

So the gunsights were cleaned up then attached to some flattened sprue. Then all sprayed in xtracrylix greygreen straight onto the bare clear plastic. (Nothing solvent that will bite into plastic for later) they then had the same detail paint/wash as per the interiors, then the greygreen was scraped off & a touch of klear to sharpen/crisp the glass parts up. Lastly a drop of silver (hataka blue line) on the lenses.

image.jpg

image.jpg

For the clear parts I have used some spares from my first profi pack build - for one closed canopy option. The rest I have used a montex mini mask (£2) for one, then used it as a stencil for the rest. Rather than placing the tape on top and using a pencil to trace or getting a vague cut with a knife, I lifted up the vinyl and placed the tamiya tape under it. The vinyl is thick enough to give a good guide to cut out more with a fresh no.11 blade. 5 canopies masked for the price of one 👍🏿

image.jpg

image.jpg

Almost there! 

image.jpg

• Like 6

I like those gunsights Tony - good stuff. 

Great tip on using the masks as a template too - thanks for sharing :)