AZ Fulmar

Beard

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

To me it seems an odd choice of subject in commercial terms.  The Fulmar is hardly the best known of aircraft and much of the enthusiast market will have been creamed off by the very nice Special Hobby kit, not to mention the earlier Vista/Airfix one.  If AZ wanted to do something for FAA enthusiasts, how about something unkitted in injection like a Stinson Reliant?  Or, what the world is really waiting for, a state-of-the-art Blackburn Shark TT.III?  Or even a Harvard IIb?

It was however, the FAA's highest scoring fighter of WW2 and I think a perfect subject for a manufacturer less mainstream than the likes of Revell etc but I think it would also be a good subject for Airfix. Either way it'll still be interesting to see how it compares to others.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

The Special Hobby kit is very nice. It looks very 'right'. 

I'm struggling to believe that AZ would do yet another rebox of the Vista kit? Is that what it really is? It's also been reboxed and marketed at an extremely low price by MisterCraft very recently (2015):

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/974728-mistercraft-d-217-fairey-fulmar-mk-i-ii

I bought one last year for the equal of around £5 as the basis for a conversion to a Fairey P4/34:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927075433/http://www.historicaircraft.org/British-Aircraft/pages/Fairey-P4.html

(My grandfather left me a pre WWII postcard with the exact linked photograph above on it, interestingly, the caption says '....Fairey Battle' :D. Ministry of disinformation?)

Can anyone else confirm that this AZ really is another Vista rebox?

I love the Fulmar but suspect I've bought enough for several lifetimes via Vista and SH. I might not be alone in that, 

Both Special Hobby and Pavlz Firefly Mk 1 kits are quite thin on the ground. The FROG and reboxes/bags are in abundance, but a Firefly Mk 1, including the same options in one box as the Pavla/Octopus kit (FR. 1, T. 1, TT. 1 in 1/72, but (in contrast to the Pavla) a nice build, would be really very nice.

The Modelimex website has an interesting summary of AZ 'future releases' listed as 'in prepare'. I'm not sure how many we'll see, but some are really fascinating subjects.

I must revisit the AZ thread. Thanks for posting this Simon (Beard).

TonyT

The Vista kit is IMHO quite nice but is seriously lacking on details and would benefit from a new cockpit and wheel wells. Most other details are very basic and need refining

Shapewise doesn't look too bad, although lacks the offset vertical stabilizer of the real aircraft.

This is the ex- Vista tooling indeed with set of resin wheels and some etched bits. The differences between MkI and II as the larger radiator hausing for instance and others, are obviously not addressed.

• Like 2

The Vista radiator housing looks to have wide enough sides to cope with trimming in either direction for a Mk.I or Mk.II, though actually trying that may change my opinion!  Answering one other point above, the exhausts come as separate parts fitting into a slot, so it shouldn't be too difficult to adjust the height on each side.  The Revell instructions I have omit the exhausts anyway and show fitting the filters in their place.

My other Fulmar is a Pegasus...

• 1 month later...