AZ Fulmar

Beard

How bad is the Vista/Revell Fulmar? IIRC, it has 4-spoke wheels instead of the correct 5, but apart from that, is there anything else? I admit to having at least 3 of them (oh, and a Rareplanes vac, which is a WIP and has been for 2 or 3 decades...), although I'd be hard-pressed to put my hands on one quickly.

John

Edited by John Thompson

The Vista/Revell/Airfix/SMER Fulmar? It's really pretty good. There's a nice built thread which gives a good impression here:

So is the 1/72 Special Hobby one, which is better detailed though inevitably somewhat fiddlier. Sprue pics available here:

https://www.model-making.eu/products/Fairey-Fulmar-N1854-Fulmar-Prototype-Story.html

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Gee, thanks, guys - in the (short) time it took to run to the basement, excavate a Revell version from the dig site, and confirm the number of wheel spokes, I get two good answers. Now that it's exposed to fresh air and sunlight, maybe I'll actually have to build it... :lol:

Thank you again!

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 3

On 12/04/2017 at 3:40 PM, John Thompson said:

How bad is the Vista/Revell Fulmar? IIRC, it has 4-spoke wheels instead of the correct 5, but apart from that, is there anything else? I admit to having at least 3 of them (oh, and a Rareplanes vac, which is a WIP and has been for 2 or 3 decades...), although I'd be hard-pressed to put my hands on one quickly.

John

The main problem with the vista kit is that the exhausts are molded on the fuselage at different height levels if you view the kit head on, it's one of those hard to spot but once seen cant be unseen things .

Were the Fulmar wheels the same as Hurricane ones? Talk of four & five spokes above got me thinking maybe the  Freightdog replacements for the Airfix Hurricane Mk I early might find more use with the more anal among us.

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Were the Fulmar wheels the same as Hurricane ones? Talk of four & five spokes above got me thinking maybe the  Freightdog replacements for the Airfix Hurricane Mk I early might find more use with the more anal among us.

Steve.

Dunno about Freightdog (can't find any Hurricane wheels by them on their site), but there is a Quick & Easy set from CMK that might work; Spitfire ones with 5 spokes are too small:

hurricane-i-quick-easy-five-spoked-wheel

John

• Like 1

OTOH, here's a Fulmar with 4-spoke wheels; maybe this was different between the Fulmar Mk I and Mk II?

6064373223_89a3a4fc77_b.jpg

In any case, the slots in the wheels are so small as to be almost invisible in 1/72!

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks a bit different to a Hurri one, on phone just now so will wait till home to check it out.

Steve.

They look about the size of Typhoon wheels,.....but that is just a quess.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

As Tony suggested, they look not dissimilar to Typhoon wheels, although I think the tyre diameter might be a little less.

On 12/04/2017 at 3:40 PM, John Thompson said:

John

My Vista Fulmar was definitely better than what it replaced, which was the Merlin one, so I suppose that isn't saying much.  Having said that though I thought at the time it was a pretty nice kit and certainly looks like a Fulmar.  I'd quite like another Fulmar though so I'm quite excited about this surprise announcement.

To me it seems an odd choice of subject in commercial terms.  The Fulmar is hardly the best known of aircraft and much of the enthusiast market will have been creamed off by the very nice Special Hobby kit, not to mention the earlier Vista/Airfix one.  If AZ wanted to do something for FAA enthusiasts, how about something unkitted in injection like a Stinson Reliant?  Or, what the world is really waiting for, a state-of-the-art Blackburn Shark TT.III?  Or even a Harvard IIb?

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2