1/48th Special Hobby Wirraway- Finished

looking great Tony.

I also used the Pollyscale RAAF paints for my 1/144 Wirraway (see;

The RAAF Earth Brown is lighter than the RAF Dark Earth.

Edited by pbhawkin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pbhawkin said:

looking great Tony.

Really?  I'd always thought the RAAF colour was darker.  Certainly pics of 21 Sqn Wirraways show very little contrast between the upper surface camouflage colours which suggests, to me at least, that the brown was darker than MAP Dark Earth.  I'm happy to be proven wrong (it happens a lot). :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Tony,

You have the Wirraway juices flowing now. I know I have at least one plus some aftermarket in the form of masks or decals upstairs. I am away at the moment but I shall have a look and see if there is anything you are particularly after, that I have.

Regards,

I sure have,....I`ve caught the bug,.... which was still lingering after the Harvard`s!! Thanks for the offer but I should be OK cheers,.....I`m getting there I think?

Progress,....well,.......

I`ve started painting the model;

It only took three coats of Polly Scale RAAF Earth Brown, applied with a flat wide brush to get the base coat on;

DSCF0177_zpsdwkytgzr.jpg

Then here came the choice,......I want to replicate the dark finish with hardly any demarcation showing between the camouflage colours which is often seen in photos,......so do I choose RAF Dark Green or RAAF Foliage Green? My heart tells me the latter,.....but after a test goes it looked to be too much of a contrast with a semi gloss finish,.....so I went with Dark Green to see what it looked like;

First coat with Earth Brown, Foliage Green and Dark Green alongside;

DSCF0181_zps9js3cc3k.jpg

Second coat,....with the bottles of Dark Green and Foliage Green alongside;

DSCF0183_zpscxcihkbe.jpg

Here are the colours that I`m aiming at,.....which probably leans towards Foliage Green?;

VH-WWY-A20-81_Commonwealth_CA-3_Wirraway

6.%20Wirraway_zps1hps3mnq.jpg

And here is Spitfire that I have recently`ish' painted in Earth Brown and Foliage Green to use as a tester...which I have to say looks better in matt than it does in a semi gloss finish;

Image result for raaf ww2

So,....what to do now? Probably add a coat of Foliage Green methinks? 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jessica said:

I've only found one profile of an overall yellow Wirraway; I'm kind of interested in parking one next to my yellow Harvard for giggles. Did you come across any confirmation for overall yellow in your researching?

Hiya Jessica,

As Biggles says,..yes there were overall yellow Wirraways and I`d like to build one too. The canopy framework was often painted black and they had the last three of the serial repeated in large numbers under the cockpit;

Here is a nice restored one;

Image result for wirraway yellow

And some period pics;

Image result for wirraway trainer

Wirraway_A20_747_zps1nvkyfpm.jpg

CA_9_Wirraway_A20_755_coming_into_land_c

They all seem to have worn the blue and white wartime RAAF roundel too.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, pbhawkin said:

looking great Tony.

Wow,.....a 1/144th Wirraway conversion,.....my eyes couldn`t cope with that,......so well done indeed!

Are you sure about RAAF Earth Brown being lighter? As has already been said,.....I have always believed that it is a darker colour!  

Here is the colour chart of the period,......perhaps you are getting mixed up with Light Earth?

spartanpaintchartpm_1_zpszquhqg4d.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Jessica,

As Biggles says,..yes there were overall yellow Wirraways and I`d like to build one too.

{snippage to save page space}

They all seem to have worn the blue and white wartime RAAF roundel too.

Cheers

Tony

And they all seem to have the late-style large intake under the cowl.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jessica said:

And they all seem to have the late-style large intake under the cowl.

Yes they sure do,....... yellow only came in later when the larger intake was then the standard fitting. Beforehand the trainers were finished in camo with yellow trim.

Cheers

Tony

Well thanks to the magic of acrylic paints,......I`ve been able to add a coat of Polly Scale RAAF Foliage Green to the model, but I still think that it looks too dark!

Here it is as above with the RAF Dark Green;

DSCF0183_zpscxcihkbe.jpg

And with the first coat of Foliage Green;

DSCF0185_zps6w3bs4ye.jpg

,.....maybe the Earth Brown is too light?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Looks good Tony, but I agree the contrast is too high.  To my MkI Eyeball, the Earth Brown looks too light. 

However, am jealous at the rapid progress you're making.  I'm lucky if I get half an hour per month at present for modelling.  :(

• Like 1

I`ve added a bit of red to the brown,........but still not sure? I`ll take some pics in the morning when we have some daylight!  So much for Polly Scale colours eh,..... they were OK on my Spitfire too,

Cheers

Tony

You move too quick (the time difference between Uk and Aus).

Anyway, I have a lot of pictures of Wirraway A20-176 (as I went for a 30min flight in it last year here in Mudgee).
Yours truly!

UrJlom.jpg

aTuSM9.jpg

nice shot of American Texan over the Wirraway cousin here in Mudgee at our 2nd yearly "Wine, Wheels and Wings" show:

vbJJaB.jpg

and pilot/owner:

FQh5IY.jpg

Note how the Brown looks quite different depending on direction of light.

And yes I think I am getting mixed up with Light Earth!

Edited by pbhawkin
  • Like 3

The Pollyscale RAAF Earth Brown looks like it has come out a bit too light and lacking the reddish cast, which is odd as it looks much better on the Spitfire. In years gone by the Humbrol colour 98 (IIRC) French Chocolate has often been cited by a match in the Australian modelling press. Either way it should be darker and redder than RAF Dark Earth.

Cheers,

Ken

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pbhawkin said:

You move too quick (the time difference between Uk and Aus).

Anyway, I have a lot of pictures of Wirraway A20-176 (as I went for a 30min flight in it last year here in Mudgee).
Yours truly!

UrJlom.jpg

aTuSM9.jpg

nice shot of American Texan over the Wirraway cousin here in Mudgee at our 2nd yearly "Wine, Wheels and Wings" show:

vbJJaB.jpg

and pilot/owner:

FQh5IY.jpg

Note how the Brown looks quite different depending on direction of light.

And yes I think I am getting mixed up with Light Earth!

Well I`m thinking of my favourite line from `The Life of Brian',......"You lucky b*****d"!!!! You are a lucky lad indeed and thanks for posting your fantastic pics.

Cheers

Tony

7 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

The Pollyscale RAAF Earth Brown looks like it has come out a bit too light and lacking the reddish cast, which is odd as it looks much better on the Spitfire. In years gone by the Humbrol colour 98 (IIRC) French Chocolate has often been cited by a match in the Australian modelling press. Either way it should be darker and redder than RAF Dark Earth.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I`ve added some `red brown' to the Earth Brown,......hopefully that has done the trick,....but the Foliage Green still looks too dark in my opinion! I`ve done some test pieces using US Dark Green instead but that is just too light,.....arghhh!!!! Had to sand the model down last night as the paint was beginning to build up too much!

I`ll post a pic later,

Cheers

Tony

I have to admit that I`m getting a bit fed up of this one now as the paintwork isn`t what I want it to be and constant repainting is piling on the coats! Here is how it stands now,....I`ve sanded and polished the finish to try to smooth it out and to darken it,...... but it needs another coat of green too,....but do I go for the darker Foliage Green or a lighter shade called US Dark Green?

DSCF0190_zpstlv3a7xf.jpg

DSCF0187_zpsrlxkzzpc.jpg

Here is a close up of the tail (which needs the paintwork tidying up!) showing the lighter US Dark Green compared to the Foliage Green rudder and Earth Brown fuselage,....... as I said I`m getting a bit peeved by this now and wish I`d just painted it yellow!

DSCF0188_zpskstygbzb.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hang in there Tony, I know you will defeat this beast and it will become green with envy.  (I will leave now, if your wish, because that pun even hurt me!).  How you and Jessica can calmly talk about painting an entire aircraft the dreaded yellow color is beyond me.  Anyone that can handle the color yellow on a kit can't be defeated by a mere shade of green.  I think your portrayal of the camo scheme is fairly close.  If you hit it with a gloss coat I think it will bring out the green color you are seeking.  Then, a fairly light layer of clear flat can tone the shiny down.  I know colors can sometimes be frustrating and that is where being ignorant like I am is a blessing as close will work.  With your historical knowledge, you actually know the exact color.  And, I hope your back is doing better, because if it isn't, this could also be contributing to your frustration.  Continual pain does seem to make everyday living so much more complicated and hard to deal with.  I think you are doing fine, other than yours and Jessica's demented obsession with creating yellow aircraft!

• Like 1

Cheers George,.......oh I`ve long given up brush painting yellow,....I use rattle can`s for this and other colours like silver and red,.....life is too short nowadays!

Well,....I decided upon the US Dark Green and here is the first coat;

lDSCF0193_zpsfgczh9fc.jpg

DSCF0194_zps3zl3fbi7.jpg

The paint is dangerously thick now however and it needs to be polished smooth before I add any more light coats,....scuffed on to prevent massive rivulets and brush strokes! 

Under a coat of gloss varnish I think that the green should look fine,

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

I concur with George and yourself about the colours once a topcoat is added. I got a chance to have a look at my Wirraway kit and to my pleasant surprise, the Redroo set was tucked away inside! Score one for PTSD and medication! I am enjoying your builds and the ones you post over on FB. We may have to make you an honorary Aussie!

Regards

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kahunaminor said:

Hi Tony,

I concur with George and yourself about the colours once a topcoat is added. I got a chance to have a look at my Wirraway kit and to my pleasant surprise, the Redroo set was tucked away inside! Score one for PTSD and medication! I am enjoying your builds and the ones you post over on FB. We may have to make you an honorary Aussie!

Regards

Haha,.....I`d be honoured sport,.... and well in with the Redroo set......... lucky break there pal. As for medication,.....I fully concur mate,....and I hope that you have your PTSD under control and keep the black dog away,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1