New 1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- 322Sqn R.Netherlands East Indies AF-1949- FINISHED!

8 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Tony

I am going to try and watch and keep up with you this time........not sure about the colour scheme myself so am looking forward to seeing it on a completed model. It seems to be a little different colour scheme even for you, but that what makes it fun we cannot all build the same thing.

I have started doing a few things to the one I got the other day,  am trying to decide what version and scheme to do.... so many choices, I am looking at making a few little improvements and conversion pieces so that when I build MORE I do not have to do everything over and over again. At least this way it will be possible to make a line up of 1/32 scale Spitfires, the tame one is just too expensive, especially to play with and make conversions for it.

cheers Ali

Cheers Ali,

When I saw the Spit wearing this scheme all those years ago I just had to model it mate,....I did a Matchbox 1/72nd one but nothing serious,...until now!  Your so right about the Tamiya being too expensive to cut about or try out different colour schemes, but this one isn`t,....hence my Dutch scheme! Your conversion pieces sound like a great idea,.....PR.IX jumps to mind, plus a Mk.Vc conversion with new nose, prop and oil cooler. I`m thinking of trying to cross kit this with a Mk.II,...to make a Mk.Vc  and a PR.XI,.... but there is still lots of work to do. If I were you I would make a new seat with armour plating, new armour plating behind the pilots head wthout the head rest and exhausts,.... as the latter are definitely a poor aspect of the kit. Some 5 spoke tyres and some with hub covers might be an idea too? 

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,

After two coats of Light Blue I`ve masked off the undersides and applied the first coat of Foliage Green. It might look like a mess at the moment but I`ll build the coats of, one thin layer at a time;

DSCF0142_zpsbgogew3y.jpg

DSCF0143_zpspuesk6kr.jpg

For the spinner I used an old Halfords rattle can,.....VW Orange!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

I just caught up with this Tony. I don't normally do 1/32, just because of space, but I would love to. I have an old Revell 1/32 Corsair, Eduard Bf-108 E-3.

This subject also fascinates me as I like Dutch aviation subjects, especially the East Indies which is, of course, quite close to home for me and a big part of the WWII theatre history here.

This Revell kit looks like a contender for number three in my 1/32 set, for that day, one day, when we have more room :pray:.

Its gone together so well, so quickly! That has to be a lot to do with your skill, but it looks like the kit is fundamentally a pleasant build?

I'm sorry to hear about your spine. I sympathise; a  lot of my late 2016 vanished due to the old lumbar 2/3. I hope you can avoid more surgery and that the pain becomes manageable. You're doing a grand job with a tray in the face of adversity :thumbsup2: .

Not wanting to wander off topic but, in the very first picture of the Spitfire in The Netherlands museum, I'm completely intrigued by the orange/yellow Firefly with 'Stockholm' written on the side in the background :heart: .

I would love to know more about it if you know anything? PM if it's too far off topic.

Have a happy and hopefully relatively pain free Easter,

Best regards

TonyT

20 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I just caught up with this Tony. I don't normally do 1/32, just because of space, but I would love to. I have an old Revell 1/32 Corsair, Eduard Bf-108 E-3.

This subject also fascinates me as I like Dutch aviation subjects, especially the East Indies which is, of course, quite close to home for me and a big part of the WWII theatre history here.

This Revell kit looks like a contender for number three in my 1/32 set, for that day, one day, when we have more room :pray:.

Its gone together so well, so quickly! That has to be a lot to do with your skill, but it looks like the kit is fundamentally a pleasant build?

I'm sorry to hear about your spine. I sympathise; a  lot of my late 2016 vanished due to the old lumbar 2/3. I hope you can avoid more surgery and that the pain becomes manageable. You're doing a grand job with a tray in the face of adversity :thumbsup2: .

Not wanting to wander off topic but, in the very first picture of the Spitfire in The Netherlands museum, I'm completely intrigued by the orange/yellow Firefly with 'Stockholm' written on the side in the background :heart: .

I would love to know more about it if you know anything? PM if it's too far off topic.

Have a happy and hopefully relatively pain free Easter,

Best regards

TonyT

Cheers Tony,

Yes for the money it is a pretty good kit, although it is being given a hard time on line by some. OK it isn`t a Tamiya kit, but then it costs £30 and not £130!  Sorry to hear that you`ve had trouble with your back too,...... unless you`ve had it people just don`t know how painful and debilitating it can be eh,...... at least if your arm or leg is knackered they can chop it off! 

The Firefly is an ex Swedish target tug, now at Duxford for restoration,....hopefully to fly I think? The Firefly Mk.I at Yeovilton was ex Swedish too,...owned by a civilian company which has also operated ex RN Skyraiders and other types. The one at Duxford was found in a barn I think?

Image result for firefly holland stockholm

Related image

122-1.jpg

Image result for firefly holland stockholm

124-1.jpg

Hope the above pics help,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,

Another update today,...... I`m still not walking yet but have been able to get a bit more done on the settee in front of Easter TV!

A couple more coats of Polly Scale Foliage Green were applied and I decided to do without a last coat of Humbrol 75 as I was quite happy with the colour already which will darken under a coat of gloss varnish;

DSCF0147_zpsmaxzpcnt.jpg  

DSCF0148_zpsgzlbzcyq.jpg

Then I masked off the areas for the black anti glare panel and wing walks as well as the yellow wing leading edges. For the black I used Humbrol acrylic 33 with some flow agent as a thinner to make it easier to brush on and it only took one coat;

DSCF0151_zpsnf7ijiwq.jpg

I meant to add too, that to make the seat cushion look more realistic I filled in the unrealistic moulded detail, scored some lines into the plastic and then added a piece of black painted masking tape to replicate the leather cushion cover. I will dry brush it with some brown later to represent a bit of wear and tear.

l

And here is my workplace on my trusty tray with crutches close to hand;

DSCF0160_zps45x4rjto.jpg

Masking off after the black and yellow were applied,....the yellow was applied using a rattle can in the porch which was extremely painful but worth the hassle of brush painting this awful colour, even though my long suffering missus caught me hobbling along on my crutches with the Spitfire balanced in one hand and a rattle can of yellow in my pocket and wasn`t very impressed. Next job is to brush on a coat of Humbrol 33 enamel gloss varnish;

DSCF0158_zpshwlyvfax.jpg

Gloss varnish applied,......once it has dried it is time for the decals;

DSCF0162_zpstgpsc9jf.jpg

DSCF0163_zpsiesakdrf.jpg

Hopefully the varnish has darkened the green enough,..although the colour does look lighter against a blue background than in real life...if not, then I suppose that they did become quite sun bleached!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9

Hiya Folks,

Another update today,......I`ve got most of the decals on now, but they were very thin and I had a disaster with some of them! I lost one of the number `5`s' when it curled up into a rubbery little ball,......so I`ve tried to make a new number from bits of the left over ones,....it is still a work in progress! The bombs on the nose are meant to be wonky too;

DSCF0167_zpsyxvwv5tb.jpg

DSCF0166_zpspxg7xghc.jpg

DSCF0165_zpsgd1nrkwy.jpg

The serial MH424 on the tail is supplied in black but it could also be white, as applied to the one at Duxford,.....so as the 2nd black serial was unusable due to a printing error and my lash up also curled up into a rubbery little ball,.....I shall make up a white serial on the right hand side from Xtradecal generic serials.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Glad to see you're on the mend Tony.

The Spitfire's coming on very nicely. You seem to get through these kits quicker than I can read your posts!!!

I really like the Foliage Green, I've been tempted to do an Australian one for a while now. I think you've just convinced me.

• Like 1

Nice progress Tony, decals are SUCH a pain when they do not play BALL, or in this case they do play BALL...... hope you get it sorted with the fixes, but it just adds extra nuisance that can be done with out.

I am moving at a much slower pace but once I get a few modification part masters made and cast then I will start a build on a Mk.VII in more earnest.

Ali

• Like 1

Thanks folks,

Well a bit more progress,.....I`ve fixed the dodgy number `5' on the right side of the fuselage and finally got a coat of matt`ish' varnish on the model, ready for a bit of weathering with watercolours, enamels and pigment powders.

DSCF0191_zpsmnjons9q.jpg

DSCF0192_zpsxmp6rva0.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

That certainly looks different, and has prompted me to decide on the French option for my Tamiya MK IX when I finally get around to it, that's assuming that the decals will cooperate of course.

I am also impressed by your speed and quality of build especially considering your recent incapacity.

John

• Like 1

Most impressive, and so different, the postman has just delivered my Mk.IX, you should get something from Revell for making us buy the kit.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Most impressive, and so different, the postman has just delivered my Mk.IX, you should get something from Revell for making us buy the kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Haha,.....I wish!! Glad you like it Dennis and flattered to think that I inspired you to buy it,..... the result will be another beauty for your collection no doubt,.... any ideas for a scheme yet?. 

17 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That certainly looks different, and has prompted me to decide on the French option for my Tamiya MK IX when I finally get around to it, that's assuming that the decals will cooperate of course.

I am also impressed by your speed and quality of build especially considering your recent incapacity.

John

Cheers John,....... your Tamiya kit should look stunning in French markings! As for the back,...... thanks, it is very slowly improving but I have 2 months convalescence that I thought was over to catch up with again. Modelling is keeping me sane with the 4 walls closing in on me!

All the best

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Tony, a couple of things.  First, I think the color on the Spit is excellent.  I also think hitting the Whirraway with a gloss coat will produce the similar desirable results your are seeking.  This kit is looking tremendous and quite colorful!

Second, that duck on your Spit looks remarkably similar to the fictional paint scheme of the Avenger that caught my eye.  May get that decal sheet and try to make the duck work on a bogus Avenger II.

Keep hanging in there, I know it is tough with your back.  How you manage to pull off such superb brush painting while dealing with your back is beyond me.  Keep up the good fight and both of your kits are coming along quite nicely!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Tony, a couple of things.  First, I think the color on the Spit is excellent.  I also think hitting the Whirraway with a gloss coat will produce the similar desirable results your are seeking.  This kit is looking tremendous and quite colorful!

Second, that duck on your Spit looks remarkably similar to the fictional paint scheme of the Avenger that caught my eye.  May get that decal sheet and try to make the duck work on a bogus Avenger II.

Keep hanging in there, I know it is tough with your back.  How you manage to pull off such superb brush painting while dealing with your back is beyond me.  Keep up the good fight and both of your kits are coming along quite nicely!

Cheers George,....... I really appreciate your pep talks mate,...... helps keep my pecker (no not that one!) up! 

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Haha,.....I wish!! Glad you like it Dennis and flattered to think that I inspired you to buy it,..... the result will be another beauty for your collection no doubt,.... any ideas for a scheme yet?. 

Hi Tony, your Mk.VIII build has got me thinking Australian but I also have a thing for French markings so we will have to see.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Hi Tony, your Mk.VIII build has got me thinking Australian but I also have a thing for French markings so we will have to see.

Cheers

Dennis

Either way,....I look forward to seeing it done. A dirty French Indo China scheme would look superb and wouldn`t require modification.

Cheers

Tony

Another quick update,.......I`ve applied the watercolour wash;

DSCF0198_zpsn4rqnxtx.jpg

DSCF0196_zpskwgxxct9.jpg

DSCF0200_zpsau5k31lq.jpg

I`ve since rubbed it off again, leaving the wash behind in the recessed detail,....and I`ve added the undercarriage etc,....I`ll post a photo in the morning,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Cheers fella`s,.....yeah it is scary and I worry every time!!

But,.....it is worth it and here is the model this morning,......almost done now;

DSCF0202_zpsupymxkby.jpg

DSCF0203_zpsivp3kpjb.jpg

DSCF0204_zpsrzlqkl80.jpg

DSCF0205_zpsk40tradh.jpg

I`ve polished the finish up a little using a damp paper towel and clean brushes scuffed onto the paintwork to try and replicate the original aircraft,...just the last little bits to add! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7

That's just super Tony! :worthy: 

I can't believe your rate of progress. Not only that, but very high quality progress.

Every time I've brush painted Humbrol gloss varnish it's taken about 12

years to dry! You've got transfers and Matt varnish on it in the blink of an eye :thumbsup2: :D!

Excellent save on the number '5'.

Thank you for the information on the Firefly. After I read it I went on a big Googly trawl for information on the TT.1, as, for some reason, I've fallen for it in that Yellow scheme.

It would appear that only Pavla did a (tricky) kit in 1/72 (my scale due to space restrictions)and no one has it for sale. AZ actually do one in 1/48 with the exact Swedish markings.

There's a FROG in my 'DoD Zone' (Drawer of Doom). I think I will hunt out a book/plans to try to modify that or a Special Hobby one to the TT.1.

Anyway, back on topic, it looks like you have a nice hearth in front of you whilst modelling. Got to keep warm when in pain, especially joints. Amazing work, but be careful on those crutches. You dont want to drop the fragile big bird, or go 'AOT' for that matter :winkgrin:!

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Cheers Tony,

Glad you liked the Firefly stuff; and good luck with a model,......the Special Hobby 1/72nd kit is nice and it might have the TT.1 bulges,....I`ll check in mine.

jFunny that you should mention dropping it,.......guess what I did this lunchtime,......it went skidding across the stone kitchen floor shedding parts as it went! Thankfully,.....it was fixable and with that final spurt including a set of harness straps made from painted tape and the wing tip lights which were scraped back to clear and then tinted using Sharpie pens,`m calling it done,......

Here is the finished model;

DSCF0237_zpsvedtj47i.jpg

DSCF0211_zpsvbp6aqq5.jpg

DSCF0209_zps8krmbvxr.jpg

I`ll stick some more pics in RFI later on,

Thanks for all of your support along the way,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

That VW orange spinner is a thing of beauty Tony... And therefore looks just right on this Spit, which is also a great looking result.

(and having now finished the Skua's, I'm reading your 2007 Albacore article to help with the next build!)

Cheers, (and good luck in the ongoing battle with the back...)

Nick.

• Like 1