New 1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- 322Sqn R.Netherlands East Indies AF-1949- FINISHED!

Hiya Folks,

Well I enjoyed this kit so much that I have gone and bought another today and started it as soon as I got home! As I started the previous WIP quite late I`ll start from the beginning here and build it as straight from the box as I can, with the exception of the decals as I`ll be using Flevo Decals FD32-021 to build my model as a Jungle Green and Light Blue (MSG?) aircraft from 322 Sqn of the Royl Netherlands East Indies Air Force during 1949;

DSCF0088_zpspkbk51pt.jpg

I`ve quite fancied building one of these ever since seeing this aircraft MH271, painted as MH424 at the Aviadome Museum at Amsterdam Airport back in the day,....this Spit is now at Duxford; 

Image result for spitfire mj271 dutch

Related image

This is a nice painting featuring the same colour scheme;

Image result for spitfire dutch

Another a nice view of the same Jungle Green scheme, this time on Spitfire Mk.IX NH238 replica which wears the 322 Sqn`s white mice insignia on the cowling and what looks like a reproduction `local' bomb;

Image result for spitfire dutch

Anyway that is the intention,.....onto the model;

Here is the box art;

03927.jpg

Here are the parts straight out of the box;

DSCF0080_zpskrakdphu.jpg,

The fuselage halves;

DSCF0085_zps2yegb95p.jpg

The wings,.....these have the bulges in the upper surface found only on post war aircraft when larger tyres were fitted.

DSCF0081_zpsjojhqnwb.jpg

Under the wings the radiators are mounted level with the wings and are not semi recessed inside the wing,.... a mistake yes,....but one that I can personally live with;

DSCF0082_zpsnmdn7lxq.jpg

Another poor area of the kit is the seat, I am thinking of maybe adding a pilot figure but have a feeling that this Tamiya Mustang pilot may be too large?

DSCF0084_zpskktv4lpi.jpg

Tonight I`ve been pre painting the interior parts and assembling the cockpit,....I`ll add more pics in the morning,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9

A few more reference pics,......I`ll be checking my Dutch references tomorrow but I have a feeling that the undersides may just have been Medium Sea Grey,.....I`ll check for sure;

Related image

That Yale behind the Spit is rather tasty too,..... didn`t know there was one at Duxford!  

Image result for spitfire dutch jungle green

H-53-20050908-PICT0030-big.jpg

Related image

Image result for spitfire netherlands east indies

68e5feaa-c73a-c196-2ba4-aa45029b1b97.jpg

Related image

Related image

Image result for spitfire jungle green

post-1501-1266567171.jpg

Strange how the RAAF flew Spitfire`s in the very same area during WW2 in a very similar scheme! Coincidence?;

Image result for spitfire jungle green

These orange Dutch target tugs are nice too,.....but maybe for a 1/48th model;

Related image

Related image

Related image

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9

These Revell 1/32 Spitfires you're making are tempting me into buying one but I must resist, there's about a fifty 1/72 ones in my stash to do, so I'll just follow your build (and save myself some money).

• Like 2

That is my intendend livery as well Tony. Very nice you have started so quickly on this one. I have seen MJ271 on display at Schiphol, Lelystad and Duxford many many times since childhood and always liked the colours. So the next IX I build will be in these colours. After I finish my current build of the Revell Spit  but converted into a XVI the colours of Ab Homburg, a 322 Squadron pilot who was killed on april 1st 1945. I am building this on commission for a friend who is writing a book about Homburgs exploits during the war as his experiences are very similar to Erik Hazelhoff-Roelzema's of Soldier of Orange fame.

Will be following this one very closely.

Thanks fellas,.....I need all the encouragement you can muster!

1 hour ago, Cees Broere said:

That is my intendend livery as well Tony. Very nice you have started so quickly on this one. I have seen MJ271 on display at Schiphol, Lelystad and Duxford many many times since childhood and always liked the colours. So the next IX I build will be in these colours. After I finish my current build of the Revell Spit  but converted into a XVI the colours of Ab Homburg, a 322 Squadron pilot who was killed on april 1st 1945. I am building this on commission for a friend who is writing a book about Homburgs exploits during the war as his experiences are very similar to Erik Hazelhoff-Roelzema's of Soldier of Orange fame.

Will be following this one very closely.

Your Spit XVI sounds great and I`d really appreciate your views on the colours for Jungle Green and Light Blue Cees. I have Xtracolor X-223 or Humbrol H-75 Bronze Green for the Green and Humbrol H-47 Sea Blue for the undersides. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Right I`ve been hitting the books this morning;

DSCF0094_zpsth1ddwrf.jpg

DSCF0095_zps2logckbm.jpg

And as well as the above colours I`ve found that the Dutch Spits seem to have retained their wartime style wings without the post war bulges over the wheel bays,....so more sanding!

DSCF0097_zps3jv9gcg9.jpg

Also,.....here are the tailplanes which need to have their tips cropped to match the late style elevators;

DSCF0106_zpsmam3gfet.jpg

One of the poor aspects of this kit are the exhaust stubs,..... they are useable but need lots of sanding;

DSCF0103_zpstxmxqkdk.jpg

Now onto construction,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hiya Folks,....well onto construction,....having painted the interior yesterday evening I burned a bit of midnight oil and got on with the cockpit. As the kit does not provide any armour plating for behind the pilot I made some from plastic card. The armour behind the pilots seat has a circular mounting tor a head rest found on earlier variants and so this was cut away too. The seat is a weak point, mainly because the seat cusihon  is over simplified;

DSCF0102_zpsawykdjbn.jpg

DSCF0100_zpsbvwg0xss.jpg

Here are the fuselage halves painted inside;

DSCF0105_zps6wdsd9gw.jpg

And the cockpit in place ready for the halves to be joined;

DSCF0099_zps4pnjpz5l.jpg

Here is the fuselage with the optional rudders and the chin intake;

DSCF0108_zpskvviogrs.jpg

This chin intake is quite blunt and would benefit from a bit of sanding and filing;

DSCF0109_zpsi15etvha.jpg

After the fuselage halves were joined they were fitted to the already constructed wings which have yet to receive their ailerons and clipped wing tips;

DSCF0111_zpsbyosm2eq.jpg

As with the Aussie Spit that I made, plastic card shims were required along the wing root joint,......a 30 second job!;

DSCF0112_zps1s9rx1jn.jpg

So that is where I am up to,.....I`m letting the glue dry for a while now,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Hi Tony

I ran across this site a while back

this is the bit  on Dutch Spitfire colours

http://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=569:supermarine-spitfire-mk-ix-uk&catid=96&lang=en&Itemid=558&showall=&limitstart=4

does list Humbrol 75 for jungle green,  and xtracolour x124 for the blue,  or FS -5109,I assume  35109 as '3' starting is matt finish.

HTH

T

• Like 1

Cheers Lads,.....much appreciated!

5 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Tony

I ran across this site a while back

this is the bit  on Dutch Spitfire colours

http://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=569:supermarine-spitfire-mk-ix-uk&catid=96&lang=en&Itemid=558&showall=&limitstart=4

does list Humbrol 75 for jungle green,  and xtracolour x124 for the blue,  or FS -5109,I assume  35109 as '3' starting is matt finish.

HTH

T

That is really helpful Troy,...... that is a good little website,

Cheers

Tony

Great start to another Spitfire. And, like others, your builds are sorely tempting me to get this kit from Revell.  Like I need another 1/32 Spitfire since there are 6 in the stash!  Oh wait, one is a sea fire so that doesn't count. So I do have room for one more. (The rationalization of a warped, addicted kitaholic.). Will be watching this and your Whiirraway with interest. 

• Like 1

Just a quick one to let you know that this one might not be as swift as expected,......I was almost at the painting stages but today I slipped a disc in my back again, which has set back my recovery from the 2 major spinal operations that I had in January!  I`m hoping that I won`t have to go back to hospital but even so  I`ll have to lay off the models for a while as I have been over doing things,

Cheers

Tony 

Thanks fella`s,...... this back situation is getting to be so frustrating,.....as well as painful! 

Cheers

Tony

Hi, going back to the pilot figure. He does seem rather large, compared to the Master Box 1/32 pilot figures he scales out at about six feet nine! I have the pilot from the original Hasegawa Mk V in my spares box, it's about the same length overall but not so broad at the shoulders. You're welcome to it if you think it will be of any use.

Hope the back's a little better today.

John

On 13/04/2017 at 8:13 PM, tonyot said:

Just a quick one to let you know that this one might not be as swift as expected,......I was almost at the painting stages but today I slipped a disc in my back again, which has set back my recovery from the 2 major spinal operations that I had in January!  I`m hoping that I won`t have to go back to hospital but even so  I`ll have to lay off the models for a while as I have been over doing things,

Cheers

Tony 

I'm so sorry to hear that you're in pain again.

Just take your time  and fingers crossed you'll be on the mend soon.

There's some interesting choices amongst the Dutch Spitfires, although, a Spitfire looks good in anything!

• Like 1

Interesting and tempting build and it looks good so far.

The missing armor plate ( again ! ) in the cockpit and the surplus wing bulges are annoying but this will be an easy fix.

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Thanks for the kind thoughts everybody,.......yes the back is bad but thankfully it doesn`t seem to be back to pre op conditions,......although it has put my recovery back 2 months to just after I came home from hospital,.....so I have all of that pain and frustration to go through again,.....bummer! On the bright side, If I`m careful it shouldn`t mean another op `yet',..... plus there cannot be much to cut away next time anyway!

Back to the model,...... I`m doing a little light modelling from the settee using my trusty tray but not pushing it too much,.... I did some sanding last night and the model is ready for painting now, I cannot get out to buy the exact Humbrol shade requiired for the undersides but I have found a bottle of  Polly Scale French underside Light Blue Grey which I hope will suffice. Along with this I shall be using Polly Scale RAAF Foliage Green as an undercoat for the upper surfaces to build up the coats then will probably finish it off with the prescribed Humbrol 75 enamel;

DSCF0133_zpsrea48zau.jpg

I`ve brushed on the first coat of light blue to the undersides from my trusty trayy;

DSCF0137_zpsunrvzhnq.jpg

DSCF0138_zpsecjsuz1v.jpg

DSCF0141_zpsarlli8fa.jpg

I`ve been asked before about my technique for brush painting and all I can say is build up layers of thin coats using a flat brush and try to paint the model section by section,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

Tony

I am going to try and watch and keep up with you this time........not sure about the colour scheme myself so am looking forward to seeing it on a completed model. It seems to be a little different colour scheme even for you, but that what makes it fun we cannot all build the same thing.

I have started doing a few things to the one I got the other day,  am trying to decide what version and scheme to do.... so many choices, I am looking at making a few little improvements and conversion pieces so that when I build MORE I do not have to do everything over and over again. At least this way it will be possible to make a line up of 1/32 scale Spitfires, the tame one is just too expensive, especially to play with and make conversions for it.

cheers Ali

• Like 1