P-51B- Tamiya or Revell

Crossiant Oliver

I am a fan of the Razorback P-51s, and I wanted to build a 1/48 kit of it. I considered 2 options, Revell with the British markings, or Tamiya  with the American markings. Both are good, but which one is better in terms of looking good and easiness to build?

If I am not completely mistaken, the revell kit is a rebox of the ICM kit.

The ICM kit itself, well, I don't want to call it a copy of the tamiya kit, but it's a copy of the tamiya kit.

Or at the very least, it's very close. A nice kit, but it doesn't reach the tamiya kit.

I'd go for the tamiya kit. It's been a while since I built both, but I remember the Tamiya kit being superior in fit.

If it's the one (revell) I'm thinking of I have one possibly next on the mat (when you say british markings do you mean 315 squadron / 213 squadron ?)

no locating pins on the fuselage. Wings not a great fit.

but that might just be my cack handedness.....

Edited by Lawzer

I have just finished the Tamiya model, I made it to represent Cheshires Mk3 whilst with 617 squadron using Xtradecal dambusters sheet. I have to say that the fit of the Tamiya model is the best I have ever known with the possible exception of the undercarriage location. No filler was used anywhere!

Just as a matter of interest : Quite some time ago Revell /ProModeler announced a B Mustang that was said to be an improved version of the old Monogram, with more details and engraved panel lines. Was this ever released  (because if so, I'd wonder why they'd rebox an ICM) ?

1 hour ago, MilneBay said:

The Tamiya is a lovely kit. No problems at all with it except for the wheel well which has the rear wall follow the line of the u/c cut out rather than being a box as it should be. 

The other error is that it incorrectly lacks the wooden cockpit floor of all Merlin Mustangs. Tamiya depicted the top skin of the wing as the cockpit floor, which it is on an Allison Mustang, but not an a Merlin Mustang with its deeper fuselage. (Easy enough to add a floor though)

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

Just as a matter of interest : Quite some time ago Revell /ProModeler announced a B Mustang that was said to be an improved version of the old Monogram, with more details and engraved panel lines. Was this ever released  (because if so, I'd wonder why they'd rebox an ICM) ?

Yes, I have one in the loft. I preferred the unmodified Monogram predecessor. It came out in 1996.

I'm not sure offhand of all the corporate ins and outs but I believe Revell Germany today is a different company from Revellogram in the nineties.

There was also an Accurate Miniatures P-51B/C, which I also have in the loft, and which was pretty decent.

• Like 2

Thanks WIP, I don't recall ever seeing this in a Bünde box. Not sure how it was back then, but Bünde used to be a subsidiary of RvMo Inc. At some point in time, this reversed. Moulds were always exchanged, e.g. Some of the  90s new tool Revell WW II fighters were sold as ProModeler in the US. 

Yes , there also was the AccMin, but IIRC it was their last Mustang boxing and came out a relatively short time before their demise. Has Academy ever re-released that one?