Nikitin-Shevchenko IS-2 (Amodel 1/72)

Very nice MRMLA - I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that the lower wing retracted into the fuselage and upper wing 

It must have been an interesting aircraft to land.

• Like 2

Hello MRMLA,

Whhhaaattt ?? Never heard about retracting wing :analintruder:

And it's not a naval aviation Aircraft...

Hope that the system is hydraulically operated, but given the time and the nationality, I have some doubt.

Mind the pilot who must crank it up or down and keep the thing flying in between.

I will read more about this one, Polikarpov project ??

However, you did a great job on it. Congratulations ! :winkgrin:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Your model is excellent! I was only reading about the IS-2 this weekend. I found it when I stumbled across a photo of this plane the NIAI RK:

VY7P5lWHE0TMIDja3yVP610F7heTXB3xe_AkudZK

• Like 3

Nice model! 

The invention of some constructors  seems to be turbocharged by some weed or mushrooms I guess...Or - was it just 96% pure C2H5OH? :)

More seriously - a technical question.  I like your Russian green on top - which exactly paint you have used for it?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

What a great build of an extraordinary looking aircraft. Very nice paint finish.  The engine looks huge.  I wonder how it handled with all that power and the tiny gull wing.  The pilot's view when landing must have been practically none existent. 

• Like 1

Hi mates,

thank you so much for posted comments, much appreciated!  :worthy: :) Thanks for nice pics of other forgotten planes too! Concerning this plane (it was prototype only) - it belongs into not so common aircraft category called polymorfic planes. Especially this one is not only retracting wings but changing its number too! IS abbreviation means something similar to "Folding Fighter". But it IS NOT Polikarpov. It shall be original design of Nikitin and Shevchenko. They worked on IS 3 and 4 too, but what I know, there is just a few draws of those ideas.

It is short run Kuro, with all its bugs as much puttying and sanding, You know.

Thanks Jerzy-Wojtek! The second option is more probable, I think! :D But regarding paint - I´m going to dissapoint You maybe. It's more than 30 years old synthetic Molak Color (16M I think, it's unreadable after a long time) mixed with one quarter of White Agama (similar age too). I've obtained it from my friend with himself written notice "Russian color WWII' on a cap... :rolleyes: :bye:

• Like 2

Hi - In case you are interested- This  radio control model  has the wings fold- (about a minute in on this You Tube  video )

Edited by Pinback
typo
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, JWM said:

Nice model! 

The invention of some constructors  seems to be turbocharged by some weed or mushrooms I guess...Or - was it just 96% pure C2H5OH? :)

More seriously - a technical question.  I like your Russian green on top - which exactly paint you have used for it?

Cheers

J-W

I'd have thought more like C20H25N3O !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I'd have thought more like C20H25N3O !

I did not know the formula of Lucy in the Sky, thanks :) . One learn whole life!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Being serious - this was the search of compromise between biplanes' maneuvrability and monoplanes' speed. 

Standard solution in mid 30s USSR was to produce I-15 and I-16 simultaneously. But there was a constant search for other options...

• Like 2

Fabulous model(s)! The Russians weren't shy, looking for innovative flying machine configurations.

The 1:72nd version is just beautiful and very educational, too. The R/C model is stunning – there're more transconfigurations (?) to enjoy at 1'47" and 2'24", btw.

A big round of applause for both modellers!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1