Canberra PR.9 - a venerable workhorse. DONE!

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I just wanted to butt in on Canberrakid- John, do you stockpile stuff for situations like this? Because that pic looks like some of the stuff I got left in my B57 box, along with nacelles, bombs and missiles!

Always willing to donate if required.

You know that the 1/48 B57 airfix is going for £6.99 at AC Models in Eastleigh Hampshire?. That is not a mistype! They got a stack.

Hi Rob

I do indeed stockpile spares, I have quite a good stock built up over the years in 1/72 and 1/48. £6.99, WOW! if only it was closer, I'd have some do they do mail order?

John  

On the PR 9, depending on the role ballast would be moved in or out of the well in the cockpit, maybe you could use it?

Oh, and the acmodelseastleigh.co.uk website is down today! 🙁

Ian

Edited by HomerJ_757
  • Like 1

Hiiii guys!

A little bit more work over the past week in between school work. Main areas of work include the Navigator's cockpit, the bomb bay and the camera on the underside at the rear of the fuselage.

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

(removed the moulded "cup" that represented the camera assembly

IMG_0912.jpg

(scratchbuilt camera apertures and lenses made from plasticard and plastic sheet)

IMG_0914.jpg

(held together temporarily with blutack)

IMG_0915.jpg

image.jpg

The real thing (courtesy of www.airrecce.co.uk)- https://www.airrecce.co.uk/postww2/ac/Canberra/pr9_inside.html

Sam

• Like 3

At last- the fuselage and cockpit have been closed up. The only major problem was the joining of the fuselage and cockpit parts, as a fair bit of filling, priming and sanding took place to try and smooth the join. Anyway, a major hurdle is out of the way! :)

-Further to this, I've decided to opt against the construction of an exposed engine and the opening of maintenance panels: purely because of the thickness of the plastic (which is incredibly difficult to cut).

IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Have a good evening guys,

Sam

• Like 3

Looking really good! I like the camera mount and the rivets on the cockpit floor. Don't forget a copy of Zoo magazine for the pilot - in 1:48 scale, maybe you'll be able to tell what's on the cover.   :)  :)  :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Weekly update time! :D

I've made quite a bit of progress: painting, (an attempt at) riveting and the start of decaling.

-Camera bay internals, from the outside it looks quite good :)

DSCN3184.jpg

-It's currently masked off though...

DSCN3185.jpg

DSCN3186.jpg

DSCN3188.jpg

DSCN3189.jpg

DSCN3190.jpg

Note: exhaust nozzles to be painted near the end of the build

On another note, I've finally completed the Space Shuttle Endeavour build:

DSCN3176.jpg

DSCN3177.jpg

DSCN3178.jpg

DSCN3179.jpg

DSCN3180.jpg

DSCN3181.jpg

That's it for today; the aim for next weekend is to have completed the decaling, give the model a gloss coat before weathering, detail the bomb bay (which has been started already! :D ) and start detailing the flap/gear bay mechanisms.

Thanks for having a look,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Fear not everyone! I once again return with an update.

-I'm now half way through the exam period and currently taking a bit of a rest this afternoon/evening after a 2 and a half hour history exam. So, what's being on- Canberra-wise?

Well, I've finished painting the fuselage, the engine intakes and exhaust, the bomb bay (although I will clean it up a bit, later on), I've given the model a wash and finished the decals too. She's not looking too bad :P (New camera-my first DSLR too :D )

image.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

(I'm very pleased with how the camera turned out!)

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Thanks for having a look :)

Sam

• Like 6

Hi guys,

Ughhh the heat! I've just been working on the Navigator's instruments in the nose, so progress is still being made (despite the ridiculous temperature!)

I do have a question though: What kind of things would have been carried in the flare/bomb bay? I know it seems painfully obvious (flares or bombs :clap2:), but what kind of flares or bombs were carried. I'm struggling to find any images for any kind of equipment/munitions/etc that were carried in PR.9s.

Kind regards,

Sam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cathasatail said:

Hi guys,

Ughhh the heat! I've just been working on the Navigator's instruments in the nose, so progress is still being made (despite the ridiculous temperature!)

I do have a question though: What kind of things would have been carried in the flare/bomb bay? I know it seems painfully obvious (flares or bombs :clap2:), but what kind of flares or bombs were carried. I'm struggling to find any images for any kind of equipment/munitions/etc that were carried in PR.9s.

Kind regards,

Sam

Hi Sam

The Canberra could deploy many conventional weapons, typical weapons used were 250-pound, 500-pound, and 1000-pound bombs,[44] the total bomb load could weigh up to 10,000 pounds-Wikipedia 

-I'll try and find a bit more info.

Harry:D

Edited by Harrywilliams

2 minutes ago, Harrywilliams said:

Hi Sam

The Canberra could deploy many conventional weapons, typical weapons used were 250-pound, 500-pound, and 1000-pound bombs,[44] the total bomb load could weigh up to 10,000 pounds-Wikipedia 

Hi,

Thanks for that :) I was just wondering if there were any Pr.9 specific munitions. I somehow doubt that a PR Canberra would carry explosive munitions on a photographic/recce flight where, I presume, the aim is to stay as high as possible- out of range of any AA near the target.

Just found this quote:

PR9: "Cameras were carried in bays fore and aft of the bomb bay, which carried flares and an extra fuel tank, as in the PR7"

PR3: "Flares could be dropped from the rear half of the bomb bay and there was a tank in the front containing sufficient fuel to extend the aircraft's range by almost 1000 miles"

23 minutes ago, cathasatail said:

Hi,

Thanks for that :) I was just wondering if there were any Pr.9 specific munitions. I somehow doubt that a PR Canberra would carry explosive munitions on a photographic/recce flight where, I presume, the aim is to stay as high as possible- out of range of any AA near the target.

Just found this quote:

PR9: "Cameras were carried in bays fore and aft of the bomb bay, which carried flares and an extra fuel tank, as in the PR7"

PR3: "Flares could be dropped from the rear half of the bomb bay and there was a tank in the front containing sufficient fuel to extend the aircraft's range by almost 1000 miles"

My mistake, I'm not a Canberra man, more of a vulcan geek.

stupid me :P

Edited by Harrywilliams

I seem to recall some detail stuff about the tank, in the " End of an Era" build, and maybe about flare dispensers though that might have been another plane.

Don't worry, there's a guy who knows.....!

He'll be along in a minute, I spect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Hi guys,

Kind regards,

Sam

Nice work so far Sam, as you guessed the flare bay was just that a bay for the photo flash bomb's or flare's as they are known. The need for the photo flash disappeared with the introduction of high resolution IRLS, although the capability was retained until the end. The rear bay could also carry camera/sensors. 

PR.9b_zpszbzwfuwi.jpg

John  .   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Nice work so far Sam, as you guessed the flare bay was just that a bay for the photo flash bomb's or flare's as they are known. The need for the photo flash disappeared with the introduction of high resolution IRLS, although the capability was retained until the end. The rear bay could also carry camera/sensors. 

PR.9b_zpszbzwfuwi.jpg

John  .   

Ah perfect! :) Thank you very much!

Might I ask further to that; as I am building this PR9 with its bomb bay open, in the hemp colour scheme, would the photo flash bombs (if anything) be carried at that point in the Canberra's life? And if so, were they like the ones shown in this photo:

Mosquito_photo-reconnaissance_photoflash

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

And a brief period of scratchbuilding later......

DSC_0056.jpg

This is after a coat of gloss varnish, before any detailing/colouring is attempted- the gloss does take the edge off some of the sharper details, which will be rectified with a matt coat once completed.

-Also, random haiku (which I came up with while walking home after an exam):

Can I join the RAF?

No, I have asthma

Join the UAS instead

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

Right, well that's it. I do believe that I have finally completed this build! RFI to be posted sometime tonight

RFI:

Thanks, for sticking around guys!

DSC_0064_copyd.jpg

(I'm trying my hand at producing a cover image, not too bad? :)

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 4