Canberra PR.9 - a venerable workhorse. DONE!

Hi guys!

Well, Cosford was a few days ago and I managed to come across a wonderful Airfix 1:48 Canberra PR.9: (amongst other things >_> )

IMG_0933.jpg

I was inspired by Navy Bird's excellent 1:72 Canberra PR.9  "End of an era": 

...and thought I should probably have a go myself.

IMG_0934.jpg

So, the plan of attack is as follows:

-OOB apart from a fair bit of scratchbuilding

-Scratchbuild the cockpit

-Scratchbuild the Navigator's "cupboard"

-Scratchbuild the flare/bomb-bay

-Open up a few panels, if possible?

-Gear down, flaps down, flare/bomb-bay open

-Scratchbuild the cameras

-*Anything else that needs editing/making

IMG_0935.jpg

(The chosen scheme)

What I could do with are some good reference drawings/photos of the flare/bomb-bay. Also, could I ask what panels on the Canberra could be removed for maintenance, I would be particularly keen on modelling panels that gave access to the cameras or perhaps a reference showing the engine cowling removed (who knows, I could have a go at scratchbuilding an engine!).

Thanks for dropping by!

Kind regards,

Sam

-Oh and an update for those following my application for medicine= rejected. :P Nevermind, Biomed it is!

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 5

A few references I stumbled across that may be of use to others:

The cockpit/nav position/camera positions

https://www.airrecce.co.uk/postww2/ac/Canberra/pr9_inside.html

The exceedingly valuable wealth of reference photos that is the Canberra SIG:

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12628386

And our very own BM walkaround:

Sam

27 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

You could start here Canberra SIG and check out the builds by canberra kid on here. John is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Canberra and a helpful chap, 

Aha, just the thing:

Engine- http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=121663622

Cockpit- http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11310425

Hi, quick update for today: sanding off the existing detail and adding new new dials to the instrument panel.

IMG_1103.jpg

Also, working on this project- a 1:144 Space Shuttle (the white thermal blankets are made from squares of surgical tape and yes, the black thermal tiles were scribed and painted by hand....

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Kind regards,

Sam

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I love your definition of out of the box!

Martian

Well I did say OOB apart from "a fair bit" of scratchbuilding :D  That should be a wide enough scope to cover most things ;)

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 2

One little treat I picked up on Saturday at the Poole Vikings annual show is the Matchbox PR9 in 1/72. I've got my hands full at the moment, but I'm weighing up the options and giving it some thought.

I've done the airfix Martin B57 Canberra in1/48 recently and I'm sure most of the kit is the same as yours . Deep trenches in the rudder? Deep panel lines? Numerous options for engine nacelles? You might have even got a shed load of bombs and missiles in the box!

She's a big girl when you start putting the airframe together. Make a bit of space. And plan for much nose- weight - I mean loads! She's a real tail-sitter.

Look forward to seeing your progress.👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rob Lyttle said:

One little treat I picked up on Saturday at the Poole Vikings annual show is the Matchbox PR9 in 1/72. I've got my hands full at the moment, but I'm weighing up the options and giving it some thought.

I've done the airfix Martin B57 Canberra in1/48 recently and I'm sure most of the kit is the same as yours . Deep trenches in the rudder? Deep panel lines? Numerous options for engine nacelles? You might have even got a shed load of bombs and missiles in the box!

She's a big girl when you start putting the airframe together. Make a bit of space. And plan for much nose- weight - I mean loads! She's a real tail-sitter.

Look forward to seeing your progress.👍

Progress could be a little slow over the next 2 days- revision, you see ;)

I didn't get any bombs and there is certainly no bomb-bay in this kit so It'll have to be fully scratchbuilt. And as for the weight, that might be slightly difficult due to the inclusion of the interior but what I could do is stuff some weights in-between the pilot and navigator, next to the pilot and in the nose cone (which will be hinged open).

I intend to fill the rudder panel lines but we'll see how the main panel lines look when I get round to riveting the fuselage and wings (full disclosure: I'm no rivet counter but I'll try and make this build as accurate as possible). -To that end I have started with the rivets on the cockpit floor.... I kid you not....

• Like 1

Behind the bulkhead? That's still over the nose- wheel on the Canberra. Weight in the nose but hinged open sounds like a high risk strategy!

There's no doubt the Sig site is a great resource, reference material and modelling advice .

Right, time for an update methinks!

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

(apologies for the rather naff photos! :D )

Summary of change:

-Plasticard used to add detail to the side console

-Cockpit floor and walls riveted

-Wiring added to the back of the cockpit and on the side wall below the instrument panel

-Instrument panel dials drilled out and a backing plate glued on

-"Scuff marks" added to the cockpit

Next steps:

Control column

Right-hand side console

Additional details in the cockpit and on the IP coaming

...and then onto the navigator's "cupboard" (which will immediately involve sawing off a bit from the front of the front cockpit flooring).

More to come over the next few days! All comments/criticism welcome :)

Sam

Right, I've pretty much finished the pilot's cockpit, next up is the painting and detailing of the navigator's cockpit! :D

DSCN2796.jpg

DSCN2797.jpg

DSCN2798.jpg

DSCN2800.jpg

DSCN2802.jpg

DSCN2805.jpg

DSCN2808.jpg

DSCN2809.jpg

DSCN2810.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2813.jpg

DSCN2814.jpg

DSCN2815.jpg

So that's it for tonight, happy Easter everyone!

Sam

• Like 1

Good work so far! Everything in Bill's(Navy Bird) build will apply to this build, I'm set to help if you need any? On that note, if you want to do the flair bay open I can send you a bomb bay roof and bulkhead parts, I may have some spare doors too, but I can't promise that I will need to check,

John  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canberra kid said:

I've just checked the stock at EE.Co Bradford and the flair bay roof, three bulkheads and a set of doors will be dispatched this coming week. 

John

Marvellous, I cannot thank you enough! :D

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

Evening all!

I once again extend my personal thanks to @canberra kid for sending me the parts for the bomb-bay, they will certainly save me A LOT of time! :D

DSCN2869.jpg

DSCN2870.jpg

DSCN2871.jpg

More to come over the next few days, although with my A2 exams coming up in June I can't promise that this will be a particularly "constant" build.

I have, however, managed to spend some time on the shuttle that I showed earlier, it's really coming along:

DSCN2872.jpg

DSCN2873.jpg

*Not glued yet!*

DSCN2874.jpg

DSCN2875.jpg

DSCN2876.jpg

...which reminds me, I managed to get a signature from Don Thomas (former shuttle astronaut) last month:

DSCN2634.jpg

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 3

That's good Sam, the basics bit's need detail adding to whatever level you wish to go to. I don't know if you've had a look at my site bou there is a photo of the flair bay in the Canberra & B.57 bomb and flair bays & things under wings album. But I have a stack of drawings from my AP library, if you need them.

IPMS UK Canberra SIG

The Shuttle is looking very good! 

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cathasatail said:

@canberra kid for sending me the parts for the bomb-bay, they will certainly save me A LOT of time! 

I hope this lot works out for you Sam.

I just wanted to butt in on Canberrakid- John, do you stockpile stuff for situations like this? Because that pic looks like some of the stuff I got left in my B57 box, along with nacelles, bombs and missiles!

Always willing to donate if required.

You know that the 1/48 B57 airfix is going for £6.99 at AC Models in Eastleigh Hampshire?. That is not a mistype! They got a stack.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I just wanted to butt in on Canberrakid- John, do you stockpile stuff for situations like this? Because that pic looks like some of the stuff I got left in my B57 box, along with nacelles, bombs and missiles!

Always willing to donate if required.

You know that the 1/48 B57 airfix is going for £6.99 at AC Models in Eastleigh Hampshire?. That is not a mistype! They got a stack.

Bargain!

I would be tempted but Eastleigh is around 150 miles away from me.... :P

• Like 1