Airfix 1/72 Meteor F3 improvements and detail

phat trev

31 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

The Airfix 3 is their 1970 rivet monster. They reboxed an MPM kit (8 IIRC), but that was ca. 10 years ago. 

The Airfix 1/72 F8 was a rebox of the MPM kit which appeared in the UK under the Xtrakit label. Checking Hannants it is still available as an Xtrakit or an MPM kit, the latter being upgraded versions with resin and etch at twice the cost.

The Airfix III has also appeared boxed as a 'Dogfight Double' with a V1.

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

That's lovely, that is. How did you do the big nacelles?

Thanks, they came from the then very new Matchbox NF11/12/14 kit with lots of filling and sanding. 

After I had finished it there was a sudden resurgence in the amounts of the Frog/Novo MkIV which is always the way :lol:

Edited by MilneBay

On 13/04/2017 at 9:46 AM, Work In Progress said:

Very nice. I have sooo many Meteor kits, not sure why, but I can't resist them.

Me too, must be something about it, I'm not enthused by Hunters but I could build Meteors all day. 5 built and 8 in the stash! Aiming to cover all UK Marks.

On 12-4-2017 at 8:21 AM, rossm said:

Checking Hannants it is still available as an Xtrakit or an MPM kit, the latter being upgraded versions with resin and etch at twice the cost.

The "Hi-Tech" boxing replaces the stock MPM plastic cockpit, wheel wells etc. with resin - @phat trev, perhaps you could ask around in the Spares Bin section, the leftover bits might be used to upgrade the Airfix F.3.

HTH,

Andre

I've now laid hands on the Terrance Marriott article and checked most of the references he gives, also a couple that were not available to him. For detail the Modeller's Datafile on the Meteor is pretty comprehensive with drawing and photos of cockpits, undercarriage and engines (photos are from preserved aircraft). There doesn't seem to be much detail in any of the other books - except I haven't been able to check the RAF Yearbook for 1984, the one Marriott reference I haven't got my hands on.

I'll try and scan the article and some of the Datafile over the weekend - please PM me your email address.

In the meantime see what you can find in Flight magazine e.g. 1944/5 search

I also found a few more Meteor kits so that's 11 in the stash!

Edited by rossm
Brain sends the words but the fingers can't spell them