Airfix 1/72 Meteor F3 improvements and detail

phat trev

Looking to improve and detail an Airfix Meteor F3 over the coming weeks and as always (it seems) I am looking at suitable schemes and squadron usage before I even start modelling...

What Squadrons used this early Meteor, from other sources I have:

Interested more in the Camouflaged versions. 

Meteor F1

No. 616 Manston (also Debden?)

Meteor F3

No. 616

No. 41

No. 74

No.1 (codes JX-) 

No. 245

No. 616 2nd TAF

No. 266 (codes FX-)

From Jefford's RAF Squadrons

Meteor I - 616

Meteor III/F.3 - 1,56,63,66,74,91,92,124,222,245,257,263,266,500,504,541,616 - not sure which were camouflaged.

if you've a favourite squadron from the above I'll look up examples but can't do the whole lot 'on spec'.

I suspect that they were all camouflaged.  How many carried on into the plain jane days I can't say, but didn't the Mk.4s start off camouflaged?

I don't know of any detail sets for the Airfix Meteor, from the way back times I only recall that the top of the fuselage sides needed rounding off.  Presumably most of what you might find for a Mk.4 would also do.

Squaring off, surely?  The Airfix fuselage has a rather egg shaped profile, whereas the Frog mk 4 was more square and prototypical of the type.

Short of an Aeroclub canopy and u/c set, I doubt that anyone has done anything for the Airfix F3.  ARBA *might* have done some resin Dertwents, but they'll be long gone now.

All added detail will be totally my own diy and from the spares box.. (looking forward to that bit although a new canopy would be very handy and will probably source decals from spares.

Will probably go with a camo F3 then as there looks to be a bit of choice of squadrons! (thanks rossm)

I will have a look into each of the Squadrons listed -1,56,63,66,74,91,92,124,222,245,257,263,266,500,504,541,616-

The detail looking into each front nacelle interests me and I wish to add something here and also improve the skin of of the aircraft too.

I seem to recall an article in SAM back in the '80s covering the detailing of the Airfix Meatbox F3.  I may have it in the magazine stash, if I can locate it (which may not be possible).  IIRC it was one of a series called "Improving the Image" about enhancing old, but (in the opinion of the author) fundamentally accurate kits. 

20 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

I seem to recall an article in SAM back in the '80s covering the detailing of the Airfix Meatbox F3.  I may have it in the magazine stash, if I can locate it (which may not be possible).  IIRC it was one of a series called "Improving the Image" about enhancing old, but (in the opinion of the author) fundamentally accurate kits. 

My index reveals Volume 9 page 70

53 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

46 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Someone did it in SAM much more recently.  2006 perhaps?

32 minutes ago, rossm said:

My index reveals Volume 9 page 70

If anyone has access to any of these articles, I would be very interested to see them! :)

3 minutes ago, phat trev said:

If anyone has access to any of these articles, I would be very interested to see them! :)

Next week I should be able to get my hands on the old one.

I'm still happy with the Airfix Meteor III  once the delicately-executed but completely inappropriate rivets are sanded off, and providing it's a gear-up build mounted on some kind of stand.

Meteor cockpits are black coal-holes anyway so you don't lose a lot there, and putting a pilot under the closed canpy helps no end.

The bare-naked wheel wells are a bit stark so gear-up helps there too. If you ever do this, it's better to attach the main gear doors to the lower wing before adding the top wing halves. The gear doors are not the greatest fit and have a habit of disappearing into the void of the wing. and benefit from some backing with Milliput or some pieces of scrap plastic to make sure they stay attached in line.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any indication to the outline accuracy of the Airfix  Mk III?

I seem to remember that many years ago I compared the Frog F4 fuselage with the Airfix and there was  quite a difference in overall length, which suggests one of these kits has accuracy problems. I have searched the internet but there seems to be no information as to the accuracy of these kits as far as I can see. Has anyone had their rulers out on these kits to see?

Selwyn

22 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Terrence Marriot - strangely, I had that issue in my had the other day. From memory, the 'detailling' wasn't completely accurate

His never was.  He converted an Airfix 72nd Mosquito to a T3 but got the cockpit completely wrong.  His build of the Resitech TSR2 had him adding Tornado afterburner cans in the exhausts - had he actually done any reading on the type, he'd have known that the last 10ft of the exhausts WERE the afterburners!

2 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Does anyone have any indication to the outline accuracy of the Airfix  Mk III?

I seem to remember that many years ago I compared the Frog F4 fuselage with the Airfix and there was  quite a difference in overall length, which suggests one of these kits has accuracy problems. I have searched the internet but there seems to be no information as to the accuracy of these kits as far as I can see. Has anyone had their rulers out on these kits to see?

Selwyn

I'm not looking to be contrary, but I've got both of those kits in mid-build on my desk at home right now and did all sorts of compare-and-contrast at Christmas, mainly becasue I was using the Airfix wings as patterns to extend the Frog wings to full span. I don't remember there being a significant fuselage length difference. For my money the Frog nose is too blunt in plan view and mine looks a lot better for a good filing down (having back-filled it with Milliput). I can't see anything horribly wrong with the outline of the Airfix kit but cheerfully admit I have not striven officiously to find anything wrong with it, because I just wanted a nice pleasant low-stress nostalgia build.

There was a change in length at some point, I don't have the reference to hand but an F4 was given a fuselage plug which I think became standard for the F8. My memory isn't clear if it was applied to some F4 production - and I don't think the reference was clear either!

Having built both I prefer the Frog as it has a beefier fuselage, the Airfix one looks a bit round shouldered to my eyes. I have a pile of Cyber/MPM/Revell to build but haven't seriously looked at them so can't offer an opinion yet. Obviously a more expensive way to do it, even though the Cyber ones were on offer. I think I'd be very happy combining the Frog fuselage with the Airfix wings, getting rid of my personal accuracy worries and a load of rivets with one stone. Those rivets are a real pain come decalling time if not attended to.

Comparison photo....

33818270672_a9281fa688_c.jpg

• Like 2

And from above showing the Frog to be longer - the rear of the canopy is a clue as to where the difference lies. When I'm reunited with my references next week I can hopefully shed more light.

33163150243_cf7b53333c_c.jpg

• Like 2

Actually the Airfix canopy is further back full stop. Measuring the finished models it's hard to be accurate but I'd say 17.4cm for Airfix and 17.6 for Frog. I've an old Profile to hand which gives the length as 12.5m, scaling down to 17.36cm so, pending an accurate measurement, it looks like the Frog is a couple of mm too long.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rossm said:

There was a change in length at some point, I don't have the reference to hand but an F4 was given a fuselage plug which I think became standard for the F8. My memory isn't clear if it was applied to some F4 production - and I don't think the reference was clear either!

Having built both I prefer the Frog as it has a beefier fuselage, the Airfix one looks a bit round shouldered to my eyes. I have a pile of Cyber/MPM/Revell to build but haven't seriously looked at them so can't offer an opinion yet. Obviously a more expensive way to do it, even though the Cyber ones were on offer. I think I'd be very happy combining the Frog fuselage with the Airfix wings, getting rid of my personal accuracy worries and a load of rivets with one stone. Those rivets are a real pain come decalling time if not attended to.

Comparison photo....

What did you use for the HSS paint ?  That looks good.

8 hours ago, rossm said:

Comparison photo....

33818270672_a9281fa688_c.jpg

I'm almost certain you'll find the MPM model will be the same as you Airfix one as I am led to believe they're the same kit! Unless it's a different mark of course...