I decided to do a second build for this GB, despite the fact that I am no where near done on the first.

Like the Bristol 138A I am already working on, this kit had also been starring me down, just asking to be built.

The Testors kit has only a few parts, and would be a very simple build if the wings actually mated to the fuselage well.

I have a couple of these, from different boxings. and although the color and the softness of the plastic may change, the fit doesn't get any better.

One good thing about the newer kits, they look like they have MUCH better decals.

So I am building a bit of a mix, the old silver plastic one, with harder plastic, but using the new decals.

The kit.....

IMG_5136_zpsfw81wdvg.jpg

The huge gap...

IMG_5139_zpsjawhzc8q.jpg

The poor fit...

IMG_5141_zpszc7vujcc.jpg

and of course the poor fit on the left wing doesn't match the poor fit on the right wing...

IMG_5144_zpsujrnkjwd.jpg

The fun begins!!

Greg in Oklahoma

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 4

It's great to see this being built Greg :thumbsup2: 

It is indeed Lippisch's dream; I'm an admirer of his designs, they really don't get the recognition they should (imho).

How about taping each side of the wing root gaps with eg Tamiya tape, then filling the gap with something strong like two part epoxy? I know it sounds radical, but it has worked for me on e.g. early Amodel brand limited run models in the past.

I levelled it with a very quick (it has to be) swipe of a cotton bud with acetone on it.

For less risk; any filler would do, Humbrol, Squadron green, Milliput, even car bondo, but the strips of tape will preserve your detail.

Apologies if I'm teaching my grandma to suck eggs; it's just I'm used to lots and lots of gaps....I get excited when I see them :D!

Another great entry to the GB, many thanks.

TonyT

• 1 month later...

That's a great film. I was quite surprised when the narrator mentioned that the first flight was in late 1948 :o!

It looks, and was, so incredibly advanced for its time.

The US certainly invested in the think tank and technologies  they acquired via  Operation Paperclip, and 'found' secret technology such as the  Me P. 1101, Horten) and unrealised secret plans.

Definitely making the most out of the designs that people like Lippisch, Wernher von Braun, Willy Messerscmittt, Walter Blume, Kurt Tank and so many others had been working on.

It's no wonder that UFO sightings increased in the early 50's; I think it's safe to say that many sightings would have been X-planes like this. For many air forces, in 1948, to have e.g. Spitfires or Mustangs was a bonus. Look at this in comparison!

What a period of huge and very rapid technological change in aviation.

Looking forward to seeing this progress, especially after swing the video. It has an extremely shiny BMF. It could lend itself to a Bare Metal Foil or Alclad approach. Have you had any thoughts on possible finishes?

All best regards

TonyT

This kit as had a problem with cracks developing when glued.

About 4 or 5 jagged cracks, some going 1/3 of the way around the diameter of the fuselage, caused me to spend a lot of fill and sand time.

However, I seem to have gotten past those, and the fact that the fuselage is going to look so-so from the very start helped me to decide to leave the pilot head molded into the cockpit rather than spend the extra time scratching a cockpit.  (Spent all that time sanding anyway.)

So here it is in primer, climbing out over my neighbors house...

IMG_7074_zpsjjp3inas.jpg

As far as finishes (TonyT) I will likely go with the later white finish as I would expect those jagged cracks to be very hard to hide under a NMF.

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 3

Funnily enough, I've just been crusing Planet Models looking at all their weird and cool German projects.  I could have spent a fortune! :crying: Shame this isn't 1:48, but my wallet thanks you for it being too small for me ;)

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

Shame this isn't 1:48, but my wallet thanks you for it being too small for me ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscale-Modelkits-1-48-Convair-XF-92A-W-Display-Stand-/252938157101?hash=item3ae449fc2d:g:Fh4AAOSw5cRZGHIt

There you go, a link to the 1/48 injected kit on e-bay.

Just an FYI if you are interested, it's not my kit, I only seem to know how to buy stuff on e-bay. 

Greg in OK

• 2 weeks later...

You've done a nice job of filling and smoothing out the cracks Greg :thumbsup2: 

It will look great in white. The whole design looks really space age, the white will only serve to enhance that.

I was just reading about the aircraft; $4.3 Million back then for just one aircraft. 

Incredible.

Looking forward to seeing it in white :)

Best regards

TonyT

Great movie clip. I love the way 'convair engineers ' came up with the design. No credit to Lippish there then. 

It looks like a good model in white if you don't fancy the  NMF

Colin 

• 2 weeks later...

With the DH Group Build finished I am returning my attention to this build and the Bristol 138A.

Been puttering around with this build slowly anyway but now it is back on my desk full time.....

xf92aa_zpsf8wrr5zm.jpg

Greg in OK

• Like 1

Coming along on the kit, still a lot of detail work to do but the major assembly is completed.

92_zpscupbb0ak.jpg

Decals look like they had yellowed over time but fortunately it appears that only the paper backing had yellowed.

Greg in OK

• Like 2