1/48 ARDU F-111C (RAAF)

Pappy

That cockpit does look nice and the crew do look quite happy there.

I can see I'm going to have fun and games with the canopy....something to look forward to when I get home!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pappy,

I'm watching with huge interest because I served at ARDU from 1979-1983 and 132 when hangared used to be parked right outside my office as I worked in Maintenance Control so I've seen this beauty seriously up-close.

You're build is looking great and in her test colours she's a stunner. I have a real soft spot for this aircraft!  Side note for you, you may know that 132 was repainted from the operational grey back to her test colours about 4'ish years ago and now resides back at ARDU Headquarters, RAAF Base Edinburgh.

Keep the pictures coming.

rgds, Tim

• Like 1

G'day people,

Moving forward again. The ARDU scheme includes lots of gloss orange panels all over the airframe. The orange panels indicate the presence of  non-standard instrumentation and wiring. Orange, like red is not a very opaque colour and is best applied over a white or yellow base coat to give any sort of density. Since the lower fuselage will be mostly white, these panels should not be a problem however the upper panels will be interspersed amongst the SEA camouflage scheme so I decided to spray some orange onto the upper aircraft surfaces before the application of the camouflage

DSCN4345_zps2rghrudl.jpg

DSCN4348_zpsfzmdghbc.jpg

DSCN4349_zpsb1qroy6o.jpg

The tail did not escape either

DSCN4342_zps3xdnxcgu.jpg

The canopy sprue attachment points were cleaned up and it was then polished and given a dip in Future

Before

DSCN4331_zps5dk0ugg3.jpg

After

DSCN4343_zps6i6ehd2n.jpg

DSCN4344_zps7foaklsf.jpg

cheers

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

On 25/04/2017 at 0:57 AM, snapper_city said:

Looking good. 

On 04/05/2017 at 7:31 AM, exdraken said:

great work on the cockpit!

the transparent and visible everything! :thumbsup:

hope mine will be detailed enough! huh!!

yours seems to be tracking along well too!

On 04/05/2017 at 10:45 AM, Jackaroo said:

Hi Pappy,

I'm watching with huge interest because I served at ARDU from 1979-1983 and 132 when hangared used to be parked right outside my office as I worked in Maintenance Control so I've seen this beauty seriously up-close.

You're build is looking great and in her test colours she's a stunner. I have a real soft spot for this aircraft!  Side note for you, you may know that 132 was repainted from the operational grey back to her test colours about 4'ish years ago and now resides back at ARDU Headquarters, RAAF Base Edinburgh.

Keep the pictures coming.

rgds, Tim

Thanks Tim, hopefully I can do her justice

On 07/05/2017 at 7:04 PM, Hewy said:

Really like the pilots in the cockpit pappy, they look great

Glynn 

On 10/05/2017 at 4:35 AM, Jabba said:

Looking good, and I like the way that you are doing the orange panels.

On 14/05/2017 at 8:09 AM, exdraken said:

Nice orange!,

4 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

Enjoying your build.

Thanks fellas. The scheme is a real pain as two of the worst colours to spray are involved, white and orange!

I made a start on the underwing goodies

DSCN4371_zps5emfzbyk.jpg

I bought the SD resin exhausts as the kit items are too shallow and lack detail. They are pretty crude castings

DSCN4369_zpsl9uexkdt.jpg

Luckily they air bubbles are all on the inside and should disappear under paint (I hope!)

The internal details of the exhaust are set pretty far inside their tubes, making it difficult for the airbrush to get inside and give an even coverage of paint

DSCN4370_zpskimbko2m.jpg

I decided to finish the exhaust turbines off with a brush. I will see how they look but I am thinking that I may cut of the ends and paint them again before re-attaching. These exhaust faces should have been moulded a s separate items ideally,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

I like all the extra detailing in the cockpit. I will be using it as a reference when I get around to mine, because I'm going bug-eyed looking at all the walk-arounds of the real ones on the web! Looks like it's going to be a colourful beast too with all the orange bits.

Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Yum, looking forward to more progress pics.

Pappy, I once experimented with Tamiya fluro red over Tamiya gloss yellow and got quite a nice effect. Not sure if that helps in anyway but agree, the ARDU orange is a pain to replicate.

Hang in there man!

• 4 weeks later...

So I don't think I will make the finish line, but I have been plodding along all the same

Some weaps finished

DSCN4455_zpsbkjknblu.jpg

DSCN4454_zpsydlfjsr4.jpg

Pappy

• Like 3

that's a shame, I was loving the work, and it would have been great to see her in that scheme!

Hopefully you'll keep updating the the build, I know there are quite a few who would love to see her finished.

• Like 1

Yes great job up to yet pappy, there's a deceptive amount of work in these 1/48 varks there's no dishonour in not making the deadline your pace is good enough, nice weapons, 

Glynn