Frisian Flag 2017 - Leeuwarden Air Base

Jinxman

hi,

Here are a few shots from Frisian Flag this year - taken during week two, when conditions were a bit variable.

Hope you like them, and thanks for looking in,

cheers,

33071046054_75eca8c2c8_k.jpg

33071050414_fae9b8047c_k.jpg

33071052244_986bc04730_k.jpg

33071053614_d6196affdb_k.jpg

33071055554_4f83f11d97_k.jpg

33071060944_b80a27df05_k.jpg

33529422820_2df07b8cef_k.jpg

33914408935_d685d3fc74_k.jpg

33914414215_a31706b246_k.jpg

33914416665_8f871466a6_k.jpg

33914419005_8456301220_k.jpg

33784834671_3d8fd54214_k.jpg

33873609006_1d8c992c7a_k.jpg

33873611456_f81d76139c_k.jpg

33873614456_2e68e48bee_k.jpg

Edited by Jinxman
removal of link info
  • Like 20

Beautiful set of images, 1, 4 and the Mirage burner shot are really special though....stunning!

Eng

thanks for your kind comments - I was quite chuffed at how they had turned out as most of the time it was cold and dull - a case of firing away when the sun came out.

hi Latinbear - the shots were taken from the mound area on 05 or the road/field on 23 - I didn't see anyone inside taking shots the three days we were there.

cheers

18 hours ago, Jinxman said:

thanks for your kind comments - I was quite chuffed at how they had turned out as most of the time it was cold and dull - a case of firing away when the sun came out.

hi Latinbear - the shots were taken from the mound area on 05 or the road/field on 23 - I didn't see anyone inside taking shots the three days we were there.

cheers

Thanks for the information. Never been to the base but clearly it's somewhere I need to go!

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Jinxman said:

cheers

Jinxman,

Those are quite stunning photographs.  Care to share your camera set-up?  I'm thinking of taking the plunge and investing in a new DSLR camera (the last camera I bought was an Olympus OM-10!!!) so any advice would be very welcome. 

Cheers,
Mark

1 hour ago, mhaselden said:

Jinxman,

Those are quite stunning photographs.  Care to share your camera set-up?  I'm thinking of taking the plunge and investing in a new DSLR camera (the last camera I bought was an Olympus OM-10!!!) so any advice would be very welcome. 

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comment, I'm really glad you liked 'em.

The set-up below is only indicative - I have used Nikon since I changed to the Nikon F90x from my Pentax P30T back in the day, and so lots of other systems, (from the dark side B)), such as Canon/Pentax/Sony,  offer alternatives, based on your budget and what results you want to get.

If you click on the images and get into Flickr all the EXIF data for the shots is there - most of the shots were taken on an old but trusty Nikon D2Xs body, which you can get for around £250 easily enough these days. The lens is key though - I would advise investing in a nice prime lens rather than a zoom if you are looking for out-and-out quality - I put a 500mm on the D2Xs and they work well together. If you want flexibility there are plenty of nice zooms which will give great images. The key I suppose is what output size you want your images to be - my brother uses a Nikon 1 J5 and 300mm f4 lens and you can't tell the difference between our shots on a 1200 x 1800 pixel output. However his kit cost a lot less, is easier to carry, is less prone to being blown about by the wind, etc, etc.

If you can, tag along with someone who gets decent results, as it's easier to have let someone else spend their cash making mistakes in buying gear. People like Rich Cooper/COAP offer courses for cash, though I have never been on one so can't offer an opinion here on how good they are.

...and if you want good results you need to practice and get yourself in the right spots - I know it sounds glib but the best gear in the world isn't much use when the sun is in the wrong place all day, (if it comes out at all, that is).

HTH & cheers

• Like 2

Scott,

These are great shots. I especially like No.1. Great composition.

I shoot with D300 generally on either a zoom or a Nikon F4 300mm (sometimes with a 1.4x converter). I still don't get the clarity that you do. Are you shooting RAW and then converting or JPG?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Martin 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, Jinxman said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comment, I'm really glad you liked 'em.

The set-up below is only indicative - I have used Nikon since I changed to the Nikon F90x from my Pentax P30T back in the day, and so lots of other systems, (from the dark side B)), such as Canon/Pentax/Sony,  offer alternatives, based on your budget and what results you want to get.

If you click on the images and get into Flickr all the EXIF data for the shots is there - most of the shots were taken on an old but trusty Nikon D2Xs body, which you can get for around £250 easily enough these days. The lens is key though - I would advise investing in a nice prime lens rather than a zoom if you are looking for out-and-out quality - I put a 500mm on the D2Xs and they work well together. If you want flexibility there are plenty of nice zooms which will give great images. The key I suppose is what output size you want your images to be - my brother uses a Nikon 1 J5 and 300mm f4 lens and you can't tell the difference between our shots on a 1200 x 1800 pixel output. However his kit cost a lot less, is easier to carry, is less prone to being blown about by the wind, etc, etc.

If you can, tag along with someone who gets decent results, as it's easier to have let someone else spend their cash making mistakes in buying gear. People like Rich Cooper/COAP offer courses for cash, though I have never been on one so can't offer an opinion here on how good they are.

...and if you want good results you need to practice and get yourself in the right spots - I know it sounds glib but the best gear in the world isn't much use when the sun is in the wrong place all day, (if it comes out at all, that is).

HTH & cheers

That helps tremendously...really appreciate your insights.  I learned the lesson of buying the best lens I could afford with my old OM-10.  I bought a Tamron zoom lens and it wasn't the greatest.  I'll certainly look for something higher quality once I make the investment.

Thank you, again, for such a comprehensive answer.

Cheers,
Mark

No worries Mark - glad it was of some use.

hi Martin, thanks for the kind comment. Yes, I always shoot RAW and then convert to jpg when I have finished in Lightroom. The difficulty with shooting in jpg is that you end up with the camera software deciding how to compress the files - you then have less info to manipulate right from the start. I would rather let LR make the decision at the end of the RAW processing.

My brother has the 300mm f4, (fab lens for the money), and he also had a converter, but he ditched the converter. After comparing shots with and without the converter he decided that the cropped version from the camera was better quality than the un-cropped converter shot. Again images were shot in RAW.

Do you mind me asking if you use the shutter button to activate focussing or do you use AF-On?

cheers

Simple googling got me to an answer, and now I realise. Normally I use a half-depressed shutter button to hold focus, if needed. Otherwise I just let it adjust itself once I've got composition as I think best.  To be honest it is just a technique I've allowed to develop and not what I think is the best. Maybe I can do better? From  your action shots I'd say that I definitely could. Yours are pin sharp! 

Martin

hi Martin,

Apologies - been away for a couple of days. As you say the camera comes set up so that the shutter button activates the focussing, however if you go into the camera's menu settings and set it up so AF-On handles this side of things it may improve the camera's performance.

I don't know the technical reason why, but it was pointed out to me and it made a definite difference, and so I have used it ever since. It requires slightly different handling, with the camera set up in AF-C, and your thumb on the AF-On button as well. 

If you need any clarification on it let me know.

Probably worth pointing out as well that I have got far more wobbly and slightly shaky shots from Leeuwarden than sharp ones!

cheers

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'll give it a go and practice a bit. I'm heading to the Sola show in June so I'll need to get proficient by then! ;)

M

Any chance you might show us your CF-104 shots when you get back? - definitely something I must get around to seeing...