Polikarpov R-Z Natacha, Spain, SH reshaped (1/72)

Hi,

About 10 Feb I started build of three Polikarpov R machines: two R-5 and one R-Z. There is a WIP thread on this.

First R-5 (transport version in winter camo) I presented here already a couple of weeks ago. Now time for second one: the R-Z Natacha in Spanish Republican colours from fall of 1938. The presented here LN-045 was shot down along with five other R-Z on 23 Dec. 1938... She wear a Nungasser-like emblem on sides. Decals were home made (ughh....). Generally the R-Z is not just a variant of R-5. After constructing this model I consider it much different, similar or even more then the difference between Typhoon and Tempest, for instance. 

The original SH kit was seriously reshaped to match Michail Maslov's drawing o R-Z from his monography about R-5/R-Z family. Even despite small errors which I noticed in those drawing while compare them to photos (details in WIP). The most serious surgery was cuting out 5 mm from whole chord of lower wing (!). The whole tail was reshaped as well:  fin and rudder are enlarged whereas tailplane was made smaller and different in shape. Wheels are a bit bigger and nose was also a bit modified. More details in WIP thread mentioned above.

She looks like that:

poli DSC04909poli DSC04908poli DSC04907poli DSC04910poli DSC04911poli DSC04912poli DSC04913poli DSC04914poli DSC04915poli DSC04916poli DSC04917

This is my number 32nd of SCW

poli DSC04918

And here you can compare chord (especially of lower wings) of R-5 and R-Z

poli DSC04919

On photo above, besides this old lady there is Soviet the R-5 limousine (transport variant). She was already on RFI some weeks ago, it is scratch conversion from Apex/Encore kit. The third one will be R-5 bomber (MPM vacu), likely in camo from Russian  invasion of Eastern Poland in September 1939. Not very much left to finish it...

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 20

A sad demise for a lovely kite on Christmas Eve almost 80 years ago :(.

Your model is a lovely tribute. It's really necessary to read the WIP to see how much work had been put into changing this Special Hobby model to make it accurate.

Not easy work, a splendid result.

I see there are still spaces on your SCW display shelves. 

Things to to look forward to ;).

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony! Indeed there is a spece on shelvs. Due to your last year idea on building SCW machines as GB I had concept of doing this year all my SCW subject which I have already in stash. We will see if this concept turn to reality or rather to what extend it will turn. Those are: 3 Germans (Wal, He 70 and He59), two Italians (SM 55 and Ro 37 bis), 2 or 3 French (Spad 51, Breguet 19 and maybe Potez XXV) one Polish (RWD-9 - scratch), one Britt (Vildebeest), one Dutch (FK 51), one more Soviet (I-15 - i am doing it now already )  and one Czech (Aero 101). It looks not bad, I think  - 12 or 13 and we have April...;)

Thanks John also. So you see some more SCW subjects are expected soon...

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 3

Very nice Natasha, J-W! I have this kit, so I'll follow your WIP whenever I get around to building it. Very impressive collection of SCW subjects.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Gents, many thanks. I appreciete your comments very much. 

Regarding my SCW collection - actually it started about 1974 (or '75) with Frog SB-2 (next point to "A Nostalgic Tribute to Frog"). In those my school days at seventies I did also Do-17, Hs-123, Hawker Fury and the most advanced - scratch build of Grumman Goblin (based mostly on Airfix Duck :) ) Tha lates is my only one from SCW which I not posted yet - it required addin riging and small general overhull. 

Next impuls to do SCW subjects was in early XXI Century years when in my work I got collaboration with some group from University of Extramadura in Spain and I was for five years each year visiting Spain.  I've seen Cutro Vientos museum, bough some books, discoverd the materials in Net  etc... 

Best regards, I will keep doing them :). I have serious plans for this year!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Hi Hi Jerzy!!!!

Here again, before say something have read and followed the WIP thread...

I have ended to read some four months ago  the Francisco Tarazona Toràn book named "I was a Red Fighter Pilot" dealing with the accounts of this  pilot flying with the Republicans at the time of SCW, and have read there about the valiant accounts of battle of the Natachas, dreaming how to  get one day something that resembles a good Natacha using the Encore Polikarpov A -5 but first have to find one of this to get in touch with...my interest began to fade when realized is not so easy to find the proposed kit and when have had other things to attend...then watched the new Revell offering of the Polikarpov I-15 and thought it would be nice to make a SCW display like yours...

Well, yesterday have discovered the nice post you made and maybe interest renew!!!

I like a huge lot the result you have obtained and as soon as I can will go to examine and take notes to get in touch if can find the kit here, I liked the version you did and the way it ended after the nice threatment you apllied to obtain a world calss building using,  after reading the comments above, what I think were the nice old school techniques. Maybe there will be wonderful Tamigawa like new kits dealing with the subject,  but for sure, this one will be a nice addition and in the case of obtaining those elderly kits to work, for sure I will do the same you did by the same reasons: Later to sell older kits is more difficult and find one who really wanted them is hard...and as you did, with careful planning, some subject study, nice effort and plenty of love for what one is doing, is not  easy but possible to obtain jewels like you did!!!

Thank you vry much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:56 PM, JWM said:

This is my number 32 of SCW

poli%20DSC04918_zpswl02wxin.jpg

That's an impressive set of shelves! The Spanish Civil War produced some great machines in great schemes and you have modelled them beautifully!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Luis Alfonso,

Many thanks for your comment. Actually when I strted to work on those three Polikarpov R types I did not knew that the lower wing of R-Z is with so huge error in S-H kit. Perhaps I will pospone the start if I would know it. I was really deadly serprised when I discovered it. Perhaps I did not found all problems of shape, but I do hope that it is much more looks like original then if done OOB...

Good news from Rumourmonger section - the newly emerging AMG company are preparing a really good looking Polikarpov R-5 kits in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48. So perhaps a good Natacha will follow it after some time? Anyway some 30 R-5 were in use in SCW also.

Martin, 

Many thank for your good words... I appreciete them very much.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JWM said:

Luis Alfonso,

Many thanks for your comment. Actually when I strted to work on those three Polikarpov R types I did not knew that the lower wing of R-Z is with so huge error in S-H kit. Perhaps I will pospone the start if I would know it. I was really deadly serprised when I discovered it. Perhaps I did not found all problems of shape, but I do hope that it is much more looks like original then if done OOB...

Good news from Rumourmonger section - the newly emerging AMG company are preparing a really good looking Polikarpov R-5 kits in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48. So perhaps a good Natacha will follow it after some time? Anyway some 30 R-5 were in use in SCW also.

Martin, 

Many thank for your good words... I appreciete them very much.

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!!

Have watched one Encore offering of the Polikarpov R-5 and discovered this bird has Republican inisgnias for tail in Red, Yellow and Blue Colours, think that will look for the aircraft and in case I decide and succeed in catching more than one, watching your advice would make a OOB R-5 for republicans and maybe try my hand dealing with at least some of the hard job you did...or look what AMG would offer in the process. Thank you very much for the info and for your kindness and help!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Jerzy!!!!

Have watched one Encore offering of the Polikarpov R-5 and discovered this bird has Republican inisgnias for tail in Red, Yellow and Blue Colours, think that will look for the aircraft and in case I decide and succeed in catching more than one, watching your advice would make a OOB R-5 for republicans and maybe try my hand dealing with at least some of the hard job you did...or look what AMG would offer in the process. Thank you very much for the info and for your kindness and help!!

Hola Luis Alfonso,

The Encore R-5 is the same plastic as Apex R-5. Please consider small modifications of shapes which improve your satisfaction from model a lot. For me the miniumum are:

1. The front of nose need some added filler to make it smoother

2. Wingtips of upper wing have not correct shape - it should be just round with one radius 

3. The pilot cockpit should be rounded, not oval

4. The spinner should be half of the size and wooden propeller (not a metal, regulated as in model)

5. The fin-rudder proportion is strongly biased

Some people as main problem name the engraved ribs on wings and tail. This is a lobour stuff to correct.

However if you can wait some months the AMG's R-5 looks to be very good indeed:

Moreover - I am sure that they will have Republican decals as well.

Cheers

J-W

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Antoine said:

Beautiful R-Z, and impressive collection, JW.

Congratulations, I'm jealous!

Thank you Antoine, I appreciete you confess very much :)

9 hours ago, Beard said:

I've just spent an enjoyable 15 minutes reading through the WiP and I'm amazed at what you've done to the kits.

Many thanks, Beard. Indeed, sometimes I do serious surgery on kit... Here the R-Z reduction of chord length was a bit risky, I was not sure about the result.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!

Very interesting and well built model. Each time I see your rigging work, I would like to try a biplane! Is there a link to the WIP post?

BTW: The pics of your display cabinets are always impressing.

Have a nice day

Mario

• Like 2

Hi Mario. Many thanks for comment. Indeed, recently I am doing almost exclusively biplanes and nothing by the biplanes....Riging is with EZ - it is a nice stuff to work with.

The WIP link is just right in first post. Please have a look - one can be surprised, I hope :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JWM said:

Hola Luis Alfonso,

The Encore R-5 is the same plastic as Apex R-5. Please consider small modifications of shapes which improve your satisfaction from model a lot. For me the miniumum are:

1. The front of nose need some added filler to make it smoother

2. Wingtips of upper wing have not correct shape - it should be just round with one radius 

3. The pilot cockpit should be rounded, not oval

4. The spinner should be half of the size and wooden propeller (not a metal, regulated as in model)

5. The fin-rudder proportion is strongly biased

Some people as main problem name the engraved ribs on wings and tail. This is a lobour stuff to correct.

However if you can wait some months the AMG's R-5 looks to be very good indeed:

Moreover - I am sure that they will have Republican decals as well.

Cheers

J-W

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!!

Have watched the thread for AMG, SIMPLY IMPRESSIVE!!!! 

But If get one old Enconre R-5 will try to do the guide you have said here, just for the pleasure of having the chance to improve this old friend.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1